Sideney

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Sideney

Post by swvic » Thu May 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Alright you bunch of League lovers, I'm after some advice re the place Juan Antonio Samaranch called Sideney

Going to see a band at The Factory Theatre on the 27th of September. (Veruca Salt - mrs swvic was going to kill me if I didn't get tickets and Melb sold out in minutes)

In case any of you don't know, The Factory is on Victoria Rd in Marrickville. Advice re places to stay, eat, drink etc. would be most welcome. Seeing a band this way is fcuken expensive so I'll be trying to be frugal whilst also hoping to avoid establishments where I'm likely to be eaten by bed bugs or have the need to remain within 100m of a dunny. Also, we'll be flying in, so it's public transport whilst there and I want to be able to walk to and from the gig

Thanks in advance
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

BA
Duke Status

Re: Sideney

Post by BA » Thu May 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Sorry swvic. I'm from God's country. The Northside.

You'll need to get info from the plebs on the other side of the bridge. I don't even cross it if I can help it. I end up feeling dirty if I do.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Veruca Salt are great live.

I reckon you should stay with AJ. Babysit his kids for a few hours.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu May 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Can't help you with accomodation advice but as for food and drink ...

Food
- Faheem's on Enmore Road, near the Enmore Theatre. Pakistani food.
- Victoria Yeeros in Marrickville
- Sultan's Table in Enmore (haven't eaten there but it has been recommended by mates)
- Vic on the Park
- Henson Hotel

Places to drink
- Vic on the Park
- Henson Hotel
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Warren View Hotel
- Sly Fox (more for Inner West Subaru Forester drivers though)

If you are really pushing the budget accomodation option, I believe there is a backpackers in Enmore.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Vic on the Park is the only really close option for a last cheap(er) beer before heading into the Factory.

I don't know specific places to stay, but I'd look into one of two areas:

1. Enmore/Newtown: Enmore Rd and King St are the main drags of these suburbs and are packed with pubs and restaurants, so you can take your pick. Enmore is a bit closer and would be your best bet, but I don't know whether it can be done cheaply. There's a really good Lebanese restaurant called Emma's on Liberty St, Enmore, and that's not too far from the Factory, maybe a 10-15min walk. Good Turkish restaurant called Pasha's on King St, Newtown, but a longer walk to the Factory. Dozens of Thai restaurants and others along Enmore Rd, again only a 10-20min walk/5min bus ride down Enmore Rd - Victoria Rd to where the Factory is. Happy Chef on King St is a cheap but decent Chinese eatery (less formal than a restaurant); that's definitely a bus ride to the Factory. As far as pubs go, the Duke in Enmore, Sly Fox (as Petulance says) is near there too. Slightly further afield, you've got the Courthouse (kick-arse juke box) or the Coopers in Newtown.

2. Marrickville: the Marrickville Rd strip has only one traditional pub but lots of restaurants and these days I think there's a few licensed cafes for your inner-city bar feel. There are quite a few Vietnamese restaurants, I'd recommend Bay Tinh which is not too far from the Factory, just a 5min bus ride up Victoria Rd. But plenty more too.

If you don't have any luck with those areas, I'd go a little further west down New Canterbury Rd, around Petersham or maybe Dulwich Hill. You'll find traditional pubs, though less lively and will probably close earlier than in Enmore/Newtown, and plenty of places to eat. It's still a reasonably quick trip to the airport and within a 10min bus ride of the Factory, too.

I lived for ages around these areas and am still not far away, though I don't get out much any more so some of these places might have changed a bit while I wasn't looking. Happy to give more detail if you have any more questions, PM or publicly. Oh, and don't be tempted by cheap accommodation in the vicinity of Crystal St and New Canterbury Rd...

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Its not altogether close to where the concert is, but the YMCA in the city ('Y Hotel Hyde Park') is pretty good value. There are a range of rooms depending on how much you want to pay or whether you want to have your own bathroom (or even share a room with 6 other backpackers...). Its a hostel, so its really not fancy and its full of backpackers etc, but its cheap for Sydney. You get what you pay for but its not dodgy.

And its close to the rail stations (Central is about a 10min walk, city circle stations are closer - I think Museum is the closest just across the road) and you can train out.

If you want something fancier then the Meriton self service apartments can have some good deals (esp out of the city centre, like their places at Waterloo or Zetland - just quickly checking its about $105 per night for a studio at Zetland for 2 people - dont know if that is cheap or not for you). Its fairly close to Marrickville but not really connected by public transport as you have to go into the city and back; although there might be a bus. Ive stayed at meritons heaps of times and they are pretty nice (no hotel services though, so you have to get your own breakfast etc).

Sorry cant help with anything very close, as I've never stayed in that area

Beware the train from the airport, its quite expensive ($16.40 one way pp! Its a rip off due to an airport tax). A taxi to the city is about $40; the cheapest way in is the various buses that do hotel drop offs.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 am

StayPuft wrote: As far as pubs go, the Duke in Enmore, Sly Fox (as Petulance says) is near there too. Slightly further afield, you've got the Courthouse (kick-arse juke box) or the Coopers in Newtown.
The Courthouse is my favourite pub in Newtown. The Carlisle Castle is pretty good as well and it has even better food. Not a fan of the Coopers Arms after its refurb. I remember its refurb went on for ages and they didn't have a kitchen so you could bring fried chicken from Clem's chicken shop across the road into the pub. Mmmmm ... fried chicken and beer on tap ... great stuff.

Since Marrickville got mentioned, I recommend PhD for pho. They have outlets on Illawarra Rd and Marrickville Rd. And near the Marrickville train station on Illawarra Rd is one of the best Thai joints in Sydney, Let's Eat Thai. It is run by ex-Spice I Am staffers.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am

Cheers, BA, some of the southern plebs have kindly responded. If I'm ever on the other side, I'll pick your brain

Yeah, 'boo, I'm looking forward to seeing them. Heard/read lots of good live reviews over the years. I'd ordinarily be happy to stay with AJ and even give him and mrs aj a break by looking after the kids for them, but it may have to wait for another time

petulance, I knew you'd come good with the eating advice and your efforts would keep me going for a lengthy stay. I'm there for 3 nights so I'll check some of them places out. Thanks

StaPuft, thanks to you also. I'm a hater of most refurbished drinking houses. Give me the traditional good old-fashioned pub

ctd, thanks also. I did the airport train last time I was there. Although it's an exy trip, the convenience made it worthwhile. Thanks to you, I'll sus out the bus drop offs. Don't want to stay in a hostel, but I'll check out the Meriton. Cheers

Finally, thus far at least, pet, you get a second thanks for your 2nd post

I stayed somewhere in Newtown a couple of years ago when we went up to see Social Distortion. Same reason as Veruca Salt - only 1 gig per city and Melbourne tickets seem to sell out faster. Think it was King St and we did find a couple of decent pubs and eateries so perhaps I'll consider that area again. I'm expecting a very high Hipster ratio, but I do hope the assortment of weirder types still have a significant presence

Thanks everyone

EDIT: What time do the trains stop running on Saturday nights?

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 pm

petulance wrote: Not a fan of the Coopers Arms after its refurb.
They ruined the Coopers, did they? That's a bloody tragedy. I second the Carlisle. I whiled many a sunny Sat arvo there. Also the Golden Barley which is really close to the Factory too (forgot about the Barley). Unless they've refurbed/ruined those pubs too :(

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

I only went to the top floor of the Coopers Arms, which looked too modern for me. I don't remember if they touched the street level pub.

The Golden Barley had a refurb a few years back but I think they only changed the beer garden out the back. The front pub is still the same. I think.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Damn. I really liked the street level pub of the Coopers, with pool tables at the back.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Only vague advice for somewhere to stay is the Eastern Hotel in George St near Central. Right next to Chinatown which would be possibly a bit of a surprise for an out of towner and close to buses for Marrickville. Friend stayed there a couple of times and it was pretty good.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Just booked a studio apartment 300m from Newtown station. Looks quiet, private, clean and comfortable and not too exy

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 pm

New towns quite interesting for a view of the passing parade. Coffees not as uniformly good as you might expect but there's a lot of food places and wall to wall hipsters.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 am

Arrived yesterday. Spent the arvo checking out the weird and wonderful whilst mrs swvic was checking out the inside of some shops. Had my photo taken by a young Asian woman from across the street. I think it was because I had assumed the asian squat or maybe she just liked the look of me

Ate dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant which was pretty good and quite cheap

Saw a guy walking up the street with a bike frame that looked like it came from Mad Wheels. Had me wondering about NC's idea that you can pick a surfer in a crowd. Don't know if it applies to Asians, but this guy looked like he might surf so I thought maybe it was petulance. Then at dinner, another young Asian guy came in, sat down at the next table with his back to me, ordered, ate, paid and left. It was very efficient. On his way out we made eye contact. Again, I thought maybe he surfs so perhaps the long-haired guy with the bike frame wasn't him