Bali for beginners and intermediate

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mrpotato
Grommet

Bali for beginners and intermediate

Post by mrpotato » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi All,

I've been asked to organise a friends 40th birthday and his wife has suggested a week or two in Bali surfing. Myself and his mates are keen but none of us have ever been surfing in Bali and have a mix of beginners and intermediate surfers so looking for somewhere suitable for both groups. Boat trip is out as a few of us get incredibly sea sick. Another friend recommended going to Canggu as there is variety of breaks around that area.

Is this an area others would recommend? Doing a quick google search came across Chill House in that area which seems to cater for all levels. Has anyone stayed there or can recommend alternatives?

Thanks
Mr P

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Bali for beginners and intermediate

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Full of euro trash from my brief look last year. Plenty of rookie surfers there I would imagine.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks Beanpole, I thought that might be the case. Any other recommendations?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:08 am

What about PNG - Nusa Island, for example. Although I dont know where you are, if you are in Perth then its a hard slog. Will be (possibly a lot) more expensive than Bali.

Also PNG has no nightlife or bars or anything. Easier waves and better fishing and diving, but out of the water its just relax.

With your mix and requirements, why not just stay somewhere in Australia?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 am

Chillhouse is owned by a mate of mine; Alex and his partner Sabina. They are super cool very enthusiastic Austrians.

Good act, great place to stay.

Totally recommended.

Caanguu is the best place for beginner/intermediates in Bali.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:19 pm

how is canggu the best place for beginner/intermediate surfers in bali? if i recall correctly it's crowded to the eyeballs and all the local rippers are right up on it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 pm

just to the bukit side there's two large expansive deepwater really mellow reefs that break left and right ....one called Old mans the other called something else...Tugu I think.

they hold crowds and are great for learning/intermediate.

then there's the left, sandbar and rivermouth right if you are feeling adventurous and get up early.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:17 pm

when was the last time you were in bali steve? mine was march 2002, kind of feels like a long time ago now. i wouldn't mind going over again to see what's happening now.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:20 pm

roktober 2011......

no rush to go back.

but if you stop over on the way here could u grab me a pack of gudams please Al?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm

i'm not going there any time soon. maybe when i turn 50. when i turned 40 last year i had lunch with my wife and little bazza in an italian restaurant next to west lake. pizza was pretty good. we all ate heartily. if i had to turn 40 again this year i'd do the exact same thing.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah it is Tugu and its mellow I've seen it, Echo beach close by can get a bit tougher. I have had a surf at Tanalot Temple 30 min drive away for Canngu it has a pretty/very shallow reef and rock bottom but a nice left hander and the wave itself is fun its just where and what time of the day you decide to fall off the key. And the next beach North from there (Kegengu?) are some powerful but long long rides across rock/reef, we got it a 6 ft a couple days in a row and would be great for single fins/2+1 with wide open walls for continuous carves..not hollow if thats ya thing...bit fatter with power, fun. All fun for intermeds-to bit better than intermeds (definition of intermeds being comfortable in 6ft + over reef with power but not Ulus or higher grade waves for advanced surfers)

link to tanalot....forget about the pussies who say its for crazy people they are pussies it a great place with the temples on the head land...

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Asia/Indo ... tanah_lot/

I know the chill house..big blonde headed bloke...very friendly family.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Medewi. Nice mellow left point and there's Balian a little to the south which again pretty mellow, soft bottomed. Can get dirty after heavy rain.
Nusa Lembogan too ..work your way from
Playgrounds, get some confidence and pop around to Chenigan? Shipwrecks can be hospitable on the right tide and swell I remember.
Mind you haven't been since 2009 for my 21st.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm

legian beach, end of jalan padma!

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, i've been to PNG before for a live aboard dive trip and wasn't that impressed with the barb wire fence and gun wielding guards on each corner of the main hotel in Port Moresby. I went to a small island up north and saw a few surf bungalows being built and some nice waves but was very primitive.

Crowds don't bother me, will be using this as a chance to have a good time with some friends and sussing out the breaks for more serious surfing next trip..I'd be very surprised if the beginners would be keen to tackle anything too heavy.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm

If you go wet season nusa dua area can be beginner friendly. Nusa dua itself isn't but there's a gap in the reef about half way up the beach which has reforms good for beginners, further up around mushroom rock there are some more user friendly spots, more intermediate than beginner. Dry season has many options in canguu areas for intermediate. If u get a surf guide they will find spots for you. Think even candi dasa up the east coast gets a beginner friendly wave, could be v mellow. Medewi also, but boots required for beginners. Wave is easy, inside sharp

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 pm

About PNG, there's a mob that run the Vanimo Surf Lodge, that have a heap of different breaks on their doorstep, from peelers through to reef breaks.

I've linked to their facebook page. I know them because they donated a prize to help fund the Magoo Charity Classic.

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 pm

tonks wrote:
mrpotato wrote:Thanks all for the feedback, i've been to PNG before for a live aboard dive trip and wasn't that impressed with the barb wire fence and gun wielding guards on each corner of the main hotel in Port Moresby.
Scared of a little adventure? Heh, yeh, it's not for everyone.
Ha ha actually enjoyed the trip to PNG at met some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Also met some of the scariest machete wielding locals threating dive boat captain to hand over diesel rather than the agreed money for diving their reef. All good fun but not that keen on going places were locals are separated from tourists by big wire fence down middle of bars etc

Was out of surf season but could see the potential

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Yes started in Kaviang and saw some incredible sites, cleanest water & seafood and incredible diving and marine life

Agree on basket case, could be an amazing place but way too much corruption