Bali for beginners and intermediate

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Re: Bali for beginners and intermediate

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Was watching a show last night about the Malaysian logging companies decimating forests and polluting water in PNG, under the protection of the police and army. Leaving local villagers with nothing to live on, it was sickening.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm

mrpotato wrote:All good fun but not that keen on going places were locals are separated from tourists by big wire fence down middle of bars etc
Happened in many parts of Australia until, uncomfortably, not too long ago. Yep, you guessed it. Up North. Qld, NT and WA. Before that, you could probably track segregation with time in a S - N direction
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Part of the selection would depend on your family /40th partying requirements.
If you consider it early you could look at Heaven on the Planet ( lombok) and book for the group. http://www.heavenontheplanet.co.nz/location.
Lombok is a 40 minute flight from Bali pick up at the airport.
Inside Ekas in the intermediate / beginner break with a definite beginner break on the sand beach comes in around $150PP per day with three meals a swimming pool and a reasonable range of inclusions .
Inside Ekas is virtually the break on offer Outside Ekas is really for much more experienced surfers, ( lots more power ,water movement and currents.) If the swell gets bigeer waves open up deeper into the bay.
No night life other than BS at the restaurant and bar.

I enjoyed HOTP will go back again but currently loving the further extremes of Indo
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Interesting there otway but I always wonder about the difference between a beginners wave and the other sort particularly in Indo.

The question remains is it good?

You know you might have an easy wave that breaks for 20 metres and that a beginners wave or one that breaks for 150 metres and you can whack a few turns in and have fun.

If I took Medowi as an example it's listed as a beginners wave in a lot of guides but if you were a real beginner you would come to grief there since it breaks on a lot of boulders. A bit like learning to surf on the rocks at Lennox or Crescent.

As is so often the case the next step up is a big jump.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Beanpole wrote:Interesting there otway but I always wonder about the difference between a beginners wave and the other sort particularly in Indo.

The question remains is it good?

You know you might have an easy wave that breaks for 20 metres and that a beginners wave or one that breaks for 150 metres and you can whack a few turns in and have fun.
Inside Ekas is an A frame the right is definitely above intermediate level, but the left on the same peak is long and whackable and runs along a reef but as it gets bigger it runs further out and into deeper water.
THhe sand beach delta shaped bank is an each way beginners wave with the sting taken out and better shape put in at a smaller size.. At the most 20 metres from shore
Raw beginners shorebreak white water specials.

The wannsurf and magic seaweed etc type wave rating seen plenty of Euro wannasurfers come to grief for two reasons; under-rating by surfguide publications and the surfers own over estimation of their ability.
This can be coupled with their first experience of point and reef break waves as opposed to sand beach breaks behind a wide continental shelf.

Medewi is a classic for this!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:39 pm

otway1949 wrote: Inside Ekas is an A frame the right is definitely above intermediate level, but the left on the same peak is long and whackable and runs along a reef but as it gets bigger it runs further out and into deeper water.
Both the left and right at Inside Ekas were definitely beginner breaks when I was there ... because ... well, I was there catching waves. Mostly chest to high, with the occasional head high set. The left was mellower and the right required a lot of duck diving to get back out.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:48 pm

The left at inside Ekas has a nice take off then run's along the reef nicely with less punch perfectly suited to a Fish or Mal the right when working is shorter more punchy and offers some fun little sections.

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:57 pm

What about this place?

http://www.aredislandsurf.com/main/page_home.html

Keen to hear about it if you go, or anyone else has been.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 pm

mrpotato wrote:Hi All,

I've been asked to organise a friends 40th birthday and his wife has suggested a week or two in Bali surfing. Myself and his mates are keen but none of us have ever been surfing in Bali and have a mix of beginners and intermediate surfers so looking for somewhere suitable for both groups. Boat trip is out as a few of us get incredibly sea sick. Another friend recommended going to Canggu as there is variety of breaks around that area.

Is this an area others would recommend? Doing a quick google search came across Chill House in that area which seems to cater for all levels. Has anyone stayed there or can recommend alternatives?

Thanks
Mr P
If you guy's want a mixture of surfing, partying and cheating on your wive's with illegal third world prostitutes than Bali is the place for you.