Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Spoon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Ok Beery we are coming into some warm weather and small surf, time to get wet and merge our crippled bodies into the throngs of Sydney's weekend warriors.
Hang near the supps and they won't be worried about us
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Bit of a snag for me. For some reason I can't squat anymore. Get an odd weird feeling in the front of my knee, regardless of the type of squat. Otherwise, normal function is improving but anything athletic or dynamic, it just feels odd. I'm fkkukking spewing. My non qualified half arsed theory is that now I have some kind of strength in my quads, they pull on my tendons harder, which means the wires pull harder, and it accentuates the fact that they're there.

My surgeon won't take the wires out til may, so I'm kind of in limbo til then. I'm thinking of getting a sit on top kayak just to get in the water, as I'm not very confident about my knee in the surf. I might just go for a paddle on the weekend but fkukk that might suck big time.

I'm confident when the wires come out I'll have much better movement and I'll be able to start working my way back, just kind of sucks to have to wait.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Beery have you tried a dry run at home, popping up to your feet?
That would be the make-or-break part of your first surf I would have thought?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey beery, I own an inflatable sit-on-top made by a czech company called gumotex that I take out in small waves sometimes. It's self bailing, so you don't have to get out and empty it after each wave and it's rigid enough to allow you to sort of properly surf it. You can go off the top, cut back, do floaters and so on (after a fashion, of course) and being an inflatable you largely avoid the goat boat stigma and it would probably be kinder on your knee than a hard boat. Taking waves off hopeless SUPers is also an added bonus.

It will handle waves up to around chest high quite comfortably and is still fun in micro stuff that I would never bother taking a board in. It's also an OK touring boat and light enough to carry on your back for a mile or two. Might be worth considering if surfing's out of the question.

You can get them in Australia for about $1000 or you could save yourself $150 and get one shipped over from the UK.
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:Hey beery, I own an inflatable sit-on-top made by a czech company called gumotex that I take out in small waves sometimes. It's self bailing, so you don't have to get out and empty it after each wave and it's rigid enough to allow you to sort of properly surf it. You can go off the top, cut back, do floaters and so on (after a fashion, of course) and being an inflatable you largely avoid the goat boat stigma and it would probably be kinder on your knee than a hard boat. Taking waves off hopeless SUPers is also an added bonus.

It will handle waves up to around chest high quite comfortably and is still fun in micro stuff that I would never bother taking a board in. It's also an OK touring boat and light enough to carry on your back for a mile or two. Might be worth considering if surfing's out of the question.

You can get them in Australia for about $1000 or you could save yourself $150 and get one shipped over from the UK.
Or he could get a cheap second hand goat boat.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm trying to be helpful here Trev. Have some compassion you spiteful bastard
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 am

godsavethequeen wrote:I'm trying to be helpful here Trev. Have some compassion you spiteful bastard
:D
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:22 am

Cheers mate. I think using one in waves would be risky for my knee, I'm thinking flat water. Pop up I don't believe is an issue, just any kind of bending and turning/ twisting with force I believe will cause issues with the wires.

No goat boats. Ever :)

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:16 am

2nd surf in tiny waves this morning. Used it more for a excuse to paddle. Still restricted but more reach than before. Fcuk its a slow process but again good to get wet and also good to break out the springy.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."