Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Donweather » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:10 am

Feck me!!!! Turns out I have a blood clot in my calf so they're no putting me on blood thinners for 10 days, delaying the surgery!! I don't have 10 days plus 3 mths recovery before the boat leaves!!! Fffaaaarrrkkkkk it!!!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 am

Well the alternative is a stroke or pulmonary embolism.
look on the bright side.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Yeah I know Boo but this OS surfari also means a feckin lot to me too!!!

The way the knees recovering at the moment I'm seriously contemplating no surgery at the moment.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm starting to get a little shape to my leg. Still much smaller than the other one but I can see it starting to come along.

I'm out of the brace now, walking unaided. First few days were odd, but walking much better now. Still hanging around 90deg of bend, slow progress but apparently normal to slow down past 90deg.

July is going to be make or break I think. I'm doing dry July and getting strict on my eating as I want to put as much effort into this as possible.

Don, I hope for your sake it's a quick recovery, get on that boat!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Cheers BF. so do I!!!

Surgery rescheduled for Thurs week now.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Get into it mate, do what they tell you to.

I'm now just shy of 100deg. It's getting hard and painful but I'm seeing good results.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:03 pm

I'm scared to ask what you mean by that Matticus :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 am

Well, after my knee was getting better, so much so I was walking normally again (and considering whether surgery was the right option), something happened last night in my sleep. I don't know what I did, but this morning I woke up unable to straighten my leg. Obviously that loose bit of meniscus floating around in there moved throughout the night and it's now somewhere it shouldn't be, causing me significant pain every time I try and straighten my leg or put weight on it.

So I'm back to walking like an invalid again today with knee half bent and limping around on one leg.

Feck I'm so over this sh1t!!!!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm

yeah the floating bit of meniscus is like those little lotto balls flying around in those air chambers.

The suspense of where it's going to land is just terrific, huh?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 pm

The worst part is my ability to straighten my leg now is worse than what it was with the original injury!!! :-?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:04 am

Bugger mate, call the surgeon and get it done. Sooner the better.

I'm killing it at the moment, walking is 99% normal, and I can almost walk down stairs properly. Doing squats now, close to 90deg in the squats. I'm at about 110degrees.

Closer to the end than the finish I think. Still a few months of strength, bending and general stuff but I'm getting excited, thinking about surfing now :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Well chop the fecking thing off I say. Surgery has been delayed another fecking 10 days due to clot still in my calf. It is smaller but still there.

Ironic part is the blood thinning needles I’m on, they accidently prescribed over dosed (double dosed) me, so I’ve been taking twice as much as I should have been and the fecking clot is still there.

Fair to say now with the surgery not now possible until mid July then if the Dr repairs the meniscus I will be out for my Indo trip late Sept. Let’s hope he chops the fecker out and I’m back in action in 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Fair to also say I’m fecking NOT HAPPY JAN!!!! Fecking over the lot of this sh1t!!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 am

The closer I get to the end, the harder it is getting, though I still make progress. I had a crap day the other day, sore and a bit swollen. Feeling a bit sorry for myself. Next day though, I smashed both sets of strengthening excercises ( morning and night ) and felt good. Ive started squats and loading excercises, and slowly it is starting to make a difference, stepping down off a step is getting easier, not easy but much more doable than a few weeks ago.

Also went back to the gym. Did stuff all, basically 10mins slowly on a recumbent bike, and 10 on a treadmill, medium paced walk. That's stuff all but god it made my day.

I thought July would be make or break and I think I was right, in the next few weeks I should have a pretty good idea of how close I'm going to get to 100%. Realistically, surgeon told me I'd never be able to bend my knee as far as the good one, but I should get close enough to do what I like to do, except maybe world class ballerina. I'll deal with that in time I guess :)

Might have to start going back to work once or twice a week soon. Kind of excited about that.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 am

In 12 months I can start deciding whether I want to take this stuff out, or leave it in. I've heard you can gain a little extra bend if you take it out. I think I'm young enough to benefit from taking it out. It's a few weeks of rest ( they cut the scar open so needs stitches to close up again ), but nowhere near the saga of the initial operation.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Fong check with your physio.I have had 3 sessions and am getting good movement but still have a fair bit of pain and restriction. Sleep is still an issue as it gets real achey at night especially with this cold but the movement and strength has improved. Stills feels like a way to go to surfing but I am seeing the surgeon next week so hopeful I am not far from swimming soon.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:39 pm

How long since the op Spoon? Mine has returned and physio last night showed impingement, so out of the water for a month at least and ongoing physio to regain full movement. Boards and wetties tidied up and put away :cry:

Going to camp in the mountains and drink me a river for kicks instead.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 am

fongss wrote:Havent Seen a physio yet and dont intend Too.

Going back to wearing the sling has helped.

And neighbors given me some Buds so sleep isn't a issue :~

P.s beerfan....that xray is impressive. I hope u can Push thu .

You could try an osteo or Chiro for something different ??. Hope it gets better either way mate

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:59 am

Matticus Finch wrote:I still can't believe how easily you did it and how much the injury has fcuked you around. (The knee, not Fongs shoulder)

Fong, can't you just get more stem cell injections or whatever it was?
Yep, freak accident. Sucks but hey, some peoples freak accident sees them dead or paraplegic or getting cancer so I can't complain really.