Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 am

fongss wrote:Im done.

Fu.ckin fantastic.....of course the surgery site hurts but the constant pain is gone.

Im so gratefull be rid that pain

Im not big on talking on surf forums if I dont surf

But ill check out this thread.. Goid luck beery and spoon...it worth the op...stops the pain :mrgreen:
Good luck with the rehab mate, get into it!

How'd the job go??

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 pm

No rehab?. Careful you don't stiffen up mate.

I started physio today, wasn't too bad at all. Gotta do excercises, which aren't too painful 3 times a day. One involves a skateboard!. Knee brace arrives on Tuesday so still got the splint on til then.

Relieved to finally be starting physio, feeling good.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 am

Had my rotator cuff surgery on Tuesday. shaved back a bone spur drained the bursa and stitched and anchored a 2 cm jagged tear in the middle of the tendon with 4 screws or anchors. Ouch would be the word to some it up. Bloody hard to get comfy but it is only day 2. Good luck with yours Fong I hope all went well and we can swap stories.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 am

Ouch is definitely the word!.

So far my physio has been damn near pleasant. No really intense pain etc. just slowly building strength and bending my knee ( they've capped my brace at 35deg on surgeons orders for the first 2 weeks ). Making slow progress. I get the impression that less is more, much better to be slightly under than push too hard and start again. So long as I keep making progress I will avoid the dreaded "manipulation". Where basically they put you under and force the bugger to bend. Fingers crossed

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 pm

I remember my physio coming to my when I had my back op. I was lying in hospital for I dont know how long, the whole bloody thing is so hazy for me as I was high as a kite and I worked out I was due for physio as she was pressing the button on my methodine drip like made before she stared to move me about. It still hurt like hell.

Hope the physio goes a bloody treat guys. Fong give us a update when you can mate
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 am

Well I have survived week one. Found out I also had long head of biceps tenodesis which after googling is basically cutting the long head of the biceps tendon from the shoulder and screwing it into the humorous which at least explains the pain there and the reason for not being able to bend the elbow.
Pain and movement wise is it much more easy than a ankle reconstruction so Beery my thoughts go out to your recovery. Sleep is a bitch as who sleeps on their back. How are you going Fong. I hope you are travelling in forward direction.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 am

Good to hear it's going well mate.

I've been increased to 45 deg on the brace and slowly getting there.

Yesterday at the physio feeling a bit sorry for myself when I saw a bloke who had a suspected spinal injury. Promptly stopped feeling sorry for myself. In fact felt quite lucky really. I'm quite mobile and while I'm a long way off yet, I've got it pretty good in the grand scheme of things.

No crazy painful horror stories yet, and providing I keep making progress I should avoid it. I'm doing extra excercises so all good so far.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 am

2 weeks in, saw the surgeon last night and all good. Start the pendulum swings or stir the pot style exercises for the next 4 weeks then I can start physio. He seemed happy with it and I can start losing the padding in the sling over the next couple of days. Driving is still a bit to go and I would kill for a good nights sleep. How are you Fong?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Good news mate. I've found physio not that bad, nowhere near as painful as I'd expected. So far anyway haha. My brace got opened up to 60 degrees today so going slowly but surely. My quads on my right knee are still tiny, but I can just see a little bit of growth. Not too much pain yet.

Best thing i found for sleeping is restavit. Herbal stuff is junk. Restavit makes you tired the next day but you'll sleep alright. Recommended dose is 1-2 tablets but honestly just half is plenty. A quarter is enough to get you to sleep and keep you asleep for a good 4 hours but you can still get up to go to the toilet etc.

Haven't needed it for ages ( I won't take them unless I've had a few sleepless nights ) but had one the other night. Crashed for a solid 5 hours. As I mentioned, I was a little tired the next day but I at least got some sleep.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Work feels like a million years ago haha. From week to week I do make progress, though day to day it's just same old thing, doing a heap of excercise. Been good so far though I'm starting to get a bit, I dunno, frustrated for no legitimate reason.

I saw a bloke the other day with a broken arm going for a walk. Out of nowhere I just thought "cnunt", and was quite jealous of the fact that he could still get around and walk properly. It's almost like I've forgotten how to walk. My hip tries to compensate for my lack of quads, but it actually causes problems. Nothing major just a pain in the arse.

At the end of the day though I can't complain, i am getting there it's just slow. And slow means I have a lot of time to think about it. Which can be bad sometimes. The mental part can be tougher than the physical.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Shit I hope that guy in the sling wasn't me. I have been trying to walk daily

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Spoon wrote:Shit I hope that guy in the sling wasn't me. I have been trying to walk daily

Hahaha!. I was having a crap day that day. Seem to be smashing it today so felling much better. I drew up and laminated an excercise chart. When I do a certain excercise I tick the box. It's a great motivator as you can see clearly when you've done heaps and when you need to get off realsurf and start rehabbing!

I should go to 75deg tomorrow. Stoked, the more bend I get the more normal I walk. Well, as normal as you can in a brace!.

How's it going??

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Good Back at work but taking it easy. Sleep is still a pain in the arse and I am over anything with codeine in it. Daytimes are good but I get a real ache in the arm and shoulder where the screws went in at night but it has only been 3 weeks. Movement is getting better but still need a hand to put socks on as I can't reach that low yet. I have about 3 weeks still I can't start physio without fear of tearing anything so that should be good. Should be able to drive next week so another plus. Any news from Fong?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 am

Haven't seen him replying to any threads, but he often does that. Good news mate, seems like it's coming along. I reckon painkillers are crap. They make me feel like a slug and block me up. I don't have a high tolerance for pain or anything but I only take them if it's really bad.

At least you've got work to keep you distracted mate.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am

Fong was talking about going to Europe (France IIRC) after his op.
He's logged in a few times and posted a couple, so I'm guessing he's travelling.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:40 pm

fongss wrote:yeah..

mines good.....slight discomfort still from the surgery but that bloody pain from the tear is long gone.

i'm amazed just how much i was suffering with it. i was kinda use to it but now its gone i know just how much it hurt :(

ive done pretty much everything wrong post op.

lost the sling about two weeks in. but it still seems good.

i have 80% shoulder movement back which is more than i hoped for

i think im still a few months away from surfing thu
Yeah me too unfortunately. I'm in no rush, but I hope to be back in the water by November at the latest.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:12 pm

My goal is four days at Plomer mid Oct to reward myself after a couple of trials early Oct. Don't care if it is 1ft just want to be able to paddle pain free.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Didn't make 75 degrees this week :(. No problem :), the physio bent it for me!. Wasn't fun, but wasn't too painful. Managed to do a very wobbly revolution on a small set of pedals. Hopefully by the end of next week I can get on the recumbent bike.