Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Spoon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 pm

May 13, sounds like a joy being one armed.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

I'm with Matticus. I've been googling around about knee surgery. The people who have the longest recovery are the people who let their injury drag on for years before getting it done. By that time, the damage is set in, and the ligaments etc are used to compensating, so are usually damaged as well.

Tough call though I know.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 pm

I doin't know how you have managed to surf Fong, I can't do a push up against the wall without pain let alone paddling and getting up. I have been walking and floating when my mates surf. I think its 6 weeks no driving and in a sling which will kill me. Workwise I am hopefully going back after 2 weeks on some form of supervisory thing and light duties. That and a shitload of pain killers. What could possibly go wrong.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 pm

fongss wrote: Yeah.....i dont want this injury and I dont want a operation and I dont want time off work
Amen to that, I hate being injured especially with an injury that just doesn't seem to heal or change.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 am

Fingers crossed for both of you. I slept in my own bed last night, felt so good. My wife works full time ( got the job the day after my op haha ), and we've got 3 young kids so she's been a trooper, doing everything ( 12 hour day ). Because I couldn't sleep I was sleeping on the lounge, so at least I knew she could get sleep. I've now started taking some natures own complete sleep. Tried it out last night and it helped me sleep. So good to sleep in your own bed. Didn't wake the wife up so win win. I can kinda roll on my side too, so getting some relief.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 am

This Sunday is the halfway point of having the splint. I'm gunna celebrate haha. At the fracture clinic today so will see how it's healing. No pain so I'm guessing it's going fine. Kind of getting used to being in the splint, sucks but manageable. Last 3 weeks should be easier to deal with. I imagine physio will suck, my quad muscles are weak as, but at least I'll be more mobile than now, and should be able to drive. I'm using restavit to sleep, a whopping quarter of a tablet haha, just enough to help sleep, without a zombie feeling. I can see a light, it's far away but I can see it at least!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm

2 week post op check up yesterday. Can now bear weight on it, and use one crutch. Already got the hang of it but as I'm in the splint, I'm still awkward with it. Been told to do leg raises. I can get my foot about an inch off the ground at present, with an uncomfortable feeling in the lower knee. I believe it's the stitches inside. Few more weeks til the splint comes off so hopefully leg raises and walking on the leg will give me a little bit of muscle back in my quads. Not a lot but at least I'm getting them used to doing what they normally should be doing.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Haha me too mate. Even worse when your legs wobbling like jelly and you can only just get your foot off the ground!. The weird feeling from the stitches is worse though. Just an odd weird uncomfortable tightness. I'm sure once the internal stitches dissolve it'll feel better but til then I have to deal with it.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 am

Can get around without crutches at home now. Still take them when I go out, but only for when I get tired. Do get sore hip muscles though, and I'll need to see the chiro when I can to straighten myself up. I do get sore by the end of the day. I can sort of roll over in bed so sleeping better.

Just over 2 weeks to go to get this leg anchor off. I'm fkkukking over it but also kind of excited as it's nearly the end.

I've been driving a bit. It's a little dodgy, but do able, and I'm confident. Been staying close to home and I don't think I'd risk the freeway though. Getting away from the house ( especially the lounge, I swear I won't sit in it for a month ! ) is good for my sanity.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:30 am

8 days to go til the leg anchor comes off. Yeeeeew. Physio starts a few days after. This is not going to be fun, but I'm hanging. Knee is stiff, and quad muscles are weak, however I've been walking on it a few weeks now and I'm sure I'm walking easier so we'll see.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 pm

fongss wrote:Im booked in nxt weds see the butcher and his knife.

Im 50/50 ill show

I know im scared.....but ill also lose my job .

The idea four months off work does my :( head in
I'd love to support you by saying that trite statement "I feel your pain" but I don't feel it nor do I want want to just heal Fongs and do what your body needs to come good that I do wish for you :D:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am

fongss wrote:Im booked in nxt weds see the butcher and his knife.

Im 50/50 ill show

I know im scared.....but ill also lose my job .

The idea four months off work does my :( head in
Better than not being able to surf in 10 years fong. Tough call though as has been said. I'm lucky, I was a good boy for a long time so kept most of my sick leave over the course of 15 years. Got plenty, thank god.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm

ah fuck it, that sucks mate
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 am

fongss wrote:Moneys not the issue, obviously u can never have enough but its time break into the rainy day piggy bank.
I can survive 4 months without work.

But I will lose this job......i was very lucky get it.
There were plenty of quality applicants.
And a six month contract with four months off work.
Well
Id sack myself to be honest....its purely a bussiness call .

Its just shit.....utter fu.cken shit
I do.not need this injury....not now...not eva :evil:

I thought the same mate. My wife had an interview for a job the day after my surgery. Pure dumb luck I thought. She got the job, so started full time work with me at home in a splint with 3 kids, 2 in school. It was tough for the first few weeks and I was thinking how unlucky I was.

Then I thought, some peoples pure dumb luck is getting hit by a car, or getting cancer. Then I realised how lucky I was. Shit, the odds are well in my favour of getting back to full acitivities before Christmas, possibly even surfing in spring. Over the course of your life, 4 months isn't a long time. Sucks about the job. Have you talked to them about it? Never know til you ask.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat May 03, 2014 10:40 am

hey beer, hope recovery with physio goes well mate
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat May 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I would be getting the op Fong's but I don't know how much you love your job.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 am

diggerdickson wrote:hey beer, hope recovery with physio goes well mate

Cheers mate!

Splint comes off on Friday, when I'll be swapping it for a ROM brace. Bascially a brace that allows a certain amount of movement. 40deg for the first 2 weeks, then working up to 120deg after that.

I took the splint off for sleeping last night, was awesome.

Friday I start physio. Fkkukk I think it's going to hurt

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 pm

fongss wrote:Im done.

Fu.ckin fantastic.....of course the surgery site hurts but the constant pain is gone.

Im so gratefull be rid that pain

Im not big on talking on surf forums if I dont surf

But ill check out this thread.. Goid luck beery and spoon...it worth the op...stops the pain :mrgreen:
Good on you Fong how long is the rehab?