NZ

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

BA
Duke Status

NZ

Post by BA » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Was gonna hijack M.F's thread, but thought better of it.

Anyone been? Thinking of going in early April. Maybe hire a Winnebago and drive around. Are waves fairly accessible? Crowds? Any other touristy things worth doing?

I would think that North Island water temps would be similar to Sydney? 3x2 would be enough?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: NZ

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:04 pm

I swam in NZ in boardies a couple of weeks ago. Would've wanted a springie or a 3/2 for surfing though, fairly windy.
Conditions weren't great but crowds didn't seem a factor where I went. Good thing about the Nth Island is you just swap sides based on the weather maps. We had a cylone pass overhead but it only took a day.

The roads are a bit interesting, it looks like it should take an hour to drive somewhere but takes 2. Sort of like west coast Tassie.
I think they still have a rule that if you are in a campervan and have 3 people behind you that you have to pull over. Get something with a bit of grunt or an auto, the hills will drive you nuts.
Petrol is fairly expensive, NZ$2.15 -2.20 a litre for unleaded. Don't know about diesel.

Lots of wine to drink, awesome fishing, kayaking and hiking.
Take a good rain jacket.
They've got great bacon, good beer.

If the weather was better I'd move there.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks Boo. The van we're looking at is a diesel. But apparently there is some sort of extra daily tax for diesel. RUC it's called. Still apparently works out cheaper than petrol I think.

Like wine, fishing, kayaking, hiking, bacon and beer. So that all sounds good.

Good seafood?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm

BA wrote:Thanks Boo. The van we're looking at is a diesel. But apparently there is some sort of extra daily tax for diesel. RUC it's called. Still apparently works out cheaper than petrol I think.

Good seafood?
Plenty od Paua.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Trev wrote:
BA wrote:Thanks Boo. The van we're looking at is a diesel. But apparently there is some sort of extra daily tax for diesel. RUC it's called. Still apparently works out cheaper than petrol I think.

Good seafood?
Plenty od Paua.
Think I'll leave that to the Maoris.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah, really good.
We were there for some sort of seafood festival, I made a complete Grooter of myself for about $25.

I don't eat abalone, though.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Spent a lot of time in NZ, both in the North & South.

Firstly, don't hire the Winnebago/Campervan. The roads are hilly and windy and they handle like a piece of shit. You'll like the romanticism at first however you'll be over by the time you get to the top of the first decent hill. You are far better off hiring a decent car, enjoy the drive and find accommodation each night.

Wetsuit wise, 3x2 is fine until about April/May down as far as Taranaki region, maybe hoods and/or boots if you are there in winter. North Island East Coast and North Coast could do a springie at a pinch. South island would need a 4x3 probs and full hood, boots gloves etc if you are thinking June, July or August

Seafood = awesome.

Heaps of waves all over. Crowds are low. PM me if you want more details.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm

channels wrote:Spent a lot of time in NZ, both in the North & South.

Firstly, don't hire the Winnebago/Campervan. The roads are hilly and windy and they handle like a piece of shit. You'll like the romanticism at first however you'll be over by the time you get to the top of the first decent hill. You are far better off hiring a decent car, enjoy the drive and find accommodation each night.

Wetsuit wise, 3x2 is fine until about April/May down as far as Taranaki region, maybe hoods and/or boots if you are there in winter. North Island East Coast and North Coast could do a springie at a pinch. South island would need a 4x3 probs and full hood, boots gloves etc if you are thinking June, July or August

Seafood = awesome.

Heaps of waves all over. Crowds are low. PM me if you want more details.
Thanks Channels. Yeah, there was a bit of romanticism with the van. Have never done it. Wife has always wanted to. But if it's gonna be a pain, might stick with a car. Def. would be April, so 3x2 should be right.

Once we make a firm decision, I'll PM you for some more detailed info.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 pm

alakaboo wrote: Good thing about the Nth Island is you just swap sides based on the weather maps.
No that never happens.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:18 pm

?
Why not?
I chose which side of the island to go to based on the wind. Obviously the swell is different too, but it is completely doable.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 pm

from where to where?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Piha to waipu.
Not talking about a surf check, driving around like BA said he'd be doing.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Just a heads up camper van Winnebago = thief magnet, especially the winnie yells I've got money!!!!!
Get a Subaru Outback station wagon there is even a cheaper mob which has cars that don't look obvious.
Some have roof racks or you can soft rack it. :d
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 pm

tonks wrote:What about something like this?

http://www.sling.co.nz/
Looks OK but still yells tourist as much as the Hippy campers and the Wicked vans but much more up market.

I got a subie outback and had soft racks, but wasn't camping though. Might do one of those vans if I was doing it as a singleton.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?