Work in California

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

LixMenzer

Work in California

Post by LixMenzer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Yo,

Anyone got any experience trying to find work in California?? if your from outside the States that is.

The dream would be to spend next summer there, and kind of work and travel set up. Do people know how possible this? Am from the UK, so was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm looking at this site - http://www.green-card.com/us-visa/ -for us visas and greencards but don't know if I'll actually need all that, and don't want to go through the stress of getting one if not ...-

And anyone know of any vineyards that might need some pickers?

Cheers x
Last edited by LixMenzer on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Work in California

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm

How old are you?
Are you currently studying?
Have you only got UK citizenship, or something else?
What do you do?

Labouring jobs are often Mexican-only, as in they won't hire you even if you're prepared to do it as it'll upset people with no other options.

LixMenzer

Re: Work in California

Post by LixMenzer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Labouring jobs are often Mexican-only, as in they won't hire you even if you're prepared to do it as it'll upset people with no other options.
Ahh, fair enough. Sadly not Mexican.

Yep, from the UK, 19 years old. What do I do? Not a lot really, thats why I was keen to get out there. Have dinished studying. I have plebnty of bar experience and stuff but was hoping for some work outdoors.

Is work on a vineyard really considered 'labouring'?