Knee Injury

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Knee Injury

Post by Natho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm

The past few weeks I have had pretty sore knees on and off in both knees after running or surfing. The pain tended to be a dull aching pain in the back or side of the knee. It would come and go.

Last night while going to give the Mrs a glass of wine I moved forward on my right foot and felt the whole leg just buckle under the knee with an intense sharp pain and crack. Like an electric shock through the knee. There was no pain at all when the knee was elevated but as soon as I put the knee straight, foot on floor with walking pressure on it 'bang' off it would go, electric shock type pain and the whole leg would just buckle under myself. The pain at first felt like it was down the outside of the knee. Then the pain moved more to under and inside the knee. No sign of swelling. I thought I was in a bit of trouble but tried to think positive and sleep it off. In the early hours of this morning no improvement, couldn't walk, intense pain and leg just buckled under me. Then later in the morning I tried to walk on it again. No problems. Pain gone and I can walk ok.
Anyone know what this might be? Could be interesting if it happens again, say walking across a road or something. Feels to me like it was some sort of ligament issue. I think doing lunges in a new training routine last night may have something to do with this.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Knee Injury

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Natho, the important question here is............ what happened to the glass of wine?
Did your Missus wear it.
Did it upend on the white, shag pile carpet?
Or land on the pussy?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Trev, that's the mother of his child. Bit of respect.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:48 pm

alakaboo wrote:Trev, that's the mother of his child. Bit of respect.
:oops:
You mean he hasn't got a cat?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Well Trev I kind of knew this question would come up.

I actually just got it into her hand just as the leg buckled from under me and I went down like a bag of Sh1t. The Mrs seemed to find it all rather hilarious.
No pussy involved. It was a glass of 2002 Trimbach Riesling from Alsace in France. My wife always has a habit of picking the older or better wines from my collection. I just get home and its fkkin open. I transported that fkkin bottle all the way back from Alsace myself and there it was open when I got home.

Last week it was a fine bottle of St Emillion given to me as a gift. The fkking thing was worth a small fortune and the wife decided to just open it while I was at the gym and even used some in the cooking. You would think my wife is a drunk from reading all this but fact is she only drinks the odd glass here and there. Which makes the opening of Natho's finest of wines even more frustrating.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Have you been doing anything else on your knees?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:39 pm

hmm now let me think.
bit of race paddle boarding.
balancing on a swiss ball on my knees while doing stuff with a medi ball.
washing by son in the bath while on my knees

that is all i can think of for now.

BTW I just got the pain back in my knee again for a split second when I straightend be leg out and slightly hyper extended it I think.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:51 pm

You need a system for your wine.
e.g. don't touch anything on this row.

And you need a physio for your knee. Sooner rather than later, if it is connective tissue you don't have long to fix it.
if it isn't, you need to figure out what is causing the instability.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Natho wrote:BTW I just got the pain back in my knee again for a split second when I straightend be leg out and slightly hyper extended it I think.
If it is when you extend it backwards, it'll be your PCL. Don't mess around. I've strained mine a few times and they can take a while to come good. Get to a physio asap. RICE in the meantime.

I did my MCL (grade 2) three months ago snowboarding. Still can't run or surf. Docs say it can take up to six months to come good.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm

natho, i did a very similar thing couple months back. my knees have always been good and i though 'here we go'. next day i still had niggle in morn, by lunch, gone, never came back. i think i may have pinched
or irritated a nerve. wheres the realsurf chiro/osteo/physio crew??!!

OOOTTTTTWWWAAAAAYYYYYY.....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Seems to be more when the leg is straight with weight on it, rather than bent. In fact having the knee bent seems to help. The pain is very intense when it happens.