General snow stuff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: General snow stuff

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Nah, I'm home before new years.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 pm

That's interesting stuff about teaching little kids. I keep putting off taking my eldest daughter but it sounds like she's probably ready for it (5 next week). Any tips for teaching kids Legion? I'm a pretty decent skier (40-50 weeks I suppose over the last 30 years) but beyond doing the BASI preselection and teaching my missus I've never done any instructing.

Where I go (Les Menuires, 3 Valleys) has a couple of handy moving carpets that are free, so there wouldn't be the pressure of feeling you're wasting a lift pass and I'm quite patient so don't mind spending a day going backwards slowly but it's more the techniques for getting the message across without it sounding like a bollocking. When I taught my missus I more or less just earwigged the ESF instructors and parroted what they were saying but I'm guessing with a little kid it's quite a bit different. Any and all pointers gratefully received
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:30 pm

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks Legion! Really, really good advice. My plan is to take her and her similar aged cousin out together with my parents so I can get some decent skiing in once they get bored. Those whiteout days in the 3 Valleys are great, particularly over Courchevel way because there's literally nobody out.

I'll probably go in April to avoid the cold and take my chances with the snow - can be great that time of year, can be a bit crap but they have plenty of snow makers

They also claim to have 6 magic carpets and a free drag, so there might be a reasonable area to learn on without needing a pass. We shall see
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:35 am

no disrespect but that sounds like a giant mission......why not just put them on snowboards?

so much easier to learn and they'll be able to ride deep powder sooner rather than later.

Seems so much more mechanically efficient to learn to control one planing area and two edges rather than two separate planing areas and four edges.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:56 am

They don't have much control of their heel-toe at that age Steve
They get away with it because of the low COG

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:16 am

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:18 am

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 pm

I got a job as a snowboard instructor having never been on snow, based purely on the assertion that I could surf, despite not having done so for 10 years.
My mates got them based on knowing me.

No surprises, we got the 3-4yo classes.
Quit a week later and worked on the lifts, great decision

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:26 pm

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm

^^i figure the Onsen will daunting but part of the experience. Yeah a ski would be great, I skied most of NZ with my brother who is very competent and a mate who is a bit less and they pushed me. I have been checking out the map but those pointers are very helpful, I had in mind to look at most if the places you mentioned and like the look of the top.

Before I stopped I was a reasonably assured cross country skier of 6 years so have found the transition and re learning an interesting process. 1 thing for sure going a hill on these skis is far easier than a set of skinny toothpicks in Nordic boots! My goal would be tackle Schneider as you say (and equivalents) and have a crack at some easy powder.

edit: I agree with you on the lessons- best way to iron things out, as long as you listen. Listening to my brother and mate after the lesson was also a big help as they picked up flaws to correct.
Last edited by OddaP on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:34 pm

well guys, ive just returned from a weekend at perisher getting my just turned 4yr old daughter into skiing.
my eldest I started at 5, and its a HUGE difference. the 4yr was apprehensive at first. I spent a day on and off with her at the carpets at smigs. she just couldn't grasp the whole pizza concept, where as my older daughter at 5 was doing it within an hr. second day stuck 4yr in discovery kids, which is an all day program,
its really like daycare cost $98. they play, get fed, get stuck on a carousel that skis them round in circles. she had fun, but ill wait till this time next yr before I take her again. my older daughter in now 7. 3rd yr skiing. Ive still been sticking her in 2hr group lessons. ive found that after some lessons, theres not much improvement, yet others the improvements are noticeable straight away. I could of put her in a higher level lesson the other day that was taking a bunch of 12yr + olds to Guthega, but I opted for her to stay with a group of 7-10yrs skiing around bluecow. less pitch, but more opportunity to work on technique. I find with her, I can take her on a lot of intermediate runs, but if she gets nervous, or to much speed, the pizza gets pulled out. id rather her matching her skis and turning correctly than doing that. I see a few parents with 5-6yr olds on some double blue runs that are going flat chat in a straight line in a pizza, but whats doing? they cant turn, or do anything else! still be doing that in 2yrs...
as you point out legion, getting the kids to follow you works good. often ill cruise in front of my daughter, and ill tell her to follow me...she does, literally, riding on the line im leaving. I don't have any choice with putting her in lessons, I snowboard, always have, so I could only take her so far before she needed a skiers guidance.
I think with the kids snowboarding, they don't do lessons under 8yrs, apparently core strength is to weak under that age.
oh, I think today its pretty stupid to compare snowboarding to lid riding. seriously there are so many different aspects to it than linking turns down a hill, just like with skiing. I ride with boarders and skiers and haven't heard any of that crap in over a decade! Iused to laugh when I used to hear the 'after 3 days I was coming down the mountain like all the other boarders' :roll: would that be the other boarders they were sharing the green runs with :idea: or the guys doing cab 7s in the park? lol

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Kids learning to snowboard first is the same sort of logic as riding a lid first. It's easier and it doesn't challenge them and leads to bad habits with weight distribution.
Maybe, but that might just be a prejudice.

I did four seasons in Aus and a couple in Canada. As well as some riding in Alaska.

Learned on a snowboard, always ridden a snowboard, got no desire to ski. Couldn't see the Point. Already got the skill base from surfing and that style of riding, as well and most importantly the freedom to ride off piste and deep powder without that ungainly hopping from ski to ski that characterises skiing in deep powder, was what attracted me to the mountains.

It felt like surfing on the snow.

But after the last season in Canada.....I just broke one day with ski resorts. Having to pay to access the mountain, having to be bound by so many rules and regs, getting ripped off all over the mountain and in the shitty little ski towns. The relative freedom of surfing: being able to get a board and go surfing wherever and whenever I want, just seemed to completely negate any remaining desire to snowboard.

Came back and been down to the aussie alps once....shit snow, couldn't wait to get out of there. Never had a single thought of going back to the mountains since.
Snowboarding has an incredible learning curve, compared to surfing and skiing.
People are intermediate surfers and skiiers for ever.
Anyone with a board sport, sideways skill set can b an advanced snowboarder in a season, two weeks really.

Maybe in that sense it is closer to boogieboarding.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:26 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm

nice enough.....but there's no way four edges and two planing surfaces buried in that pow are as efficient as one larger planing area.

Snowboarding just makes way better use of the laws of hydrodynamics in deep pow.

and those ski poles.....yuck