General snow stuff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: General snow stuff

Post by Grooter » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:15 am

I went to Dodge Ridge on Monday with my son and a mate of mine.

Snowboarded all day from 09:00 to 16:00 only stopping for 30 minutes. I'm still a rank amateur but by the end I could do entire runs without wiping out - I can heel stop easily now, toe-stopping on transition is still a bit of a challenge

Was sore as fcuk for a few days but managed to paddle out for a surf down at Santa Cruz this morning for an hour before my shoulders were about to die.

Currently scouring Craigslist, Ebay, OfferUp etc.. for second hand gear as I'm going to commit now
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:58 pm

I can help you out looking at gear if you want Grooter.
I've worked in ski shops and have some knowledge.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:35 am

That would be awesome mate!

I want a snowboard that is easy to ride down ski runs. I have no desire to try to take on double black diamond, or even black diamond runs. I know I am not that good, and I'm not getting any younger. I need the mini-mal of snowboards.

I am 5 ft and 10 in tall; the boards I have rented have all been around 156 cm in size, which seems to work well for me.

The other thing is boots; there seems to be divided opinion on whether regular laces or the ones with the wire that you twist the wheel to tighten are better :twisted:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:58 am

Boa are great for bike shoes.

I spend as much time off piste as I can. Even if the snow sucks I vastly prefer it. If I'm on a run I pretty much don't turn and just try to get from A to B as fast as possible. My equipment reflects that.

Not that I'm recommending a dedicated powder board, just saying.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:19 am

Are you only going to ride in Tahoe? And stay on groomed slopes?

The rocker/camber profile depends on what you ride.

Buy new boots.
I have boots with the boa. Speed laces are good too.
Most important thing is to have dual zones, i.e. different tightening for the foot and the calf.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:25 am

Yeah only on groomed slopes doing S turns the whole way down, at least for the next couple of seasons. I'm having more than enough fun doing that. I'll probably stick to Dodge ridge as it is closer to home.

Would an "All Mountain" board be the right one?

Thanks for the advice on the boots, I was thinking I should get new and not second hand. I'd never buy a second hand wetsuit as they are so important to overall performance, warmth and moveability.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:00 am

I'd put you on an all mountain board with cam-rocker or hybrid rocker and a medium flex. Directional, with slight taper and setback. That probably won't make sense but if you read reviews you'll see the terms.
Goodride and the Angry Snowboarder both do decent reviews and have testers your size.

I'd move you up to a 158-160 at your weight which is probably 95kgs with gear?
They put you on shorter boards when you are learning to make it easier to turn and because you won't be going fast or using the curve or flex properly. You're probably on full camber boards too, with squishy boots.

If your feet are below size 10 then you have more options.
With prices in the US and your lack of knowledge I'd probably just buy new. The people at Sports Basement are pretty switched on and they have comparable prices to online options.

A Jones Frontier would be a decent option, they have a spoon nose that make them feel a little like surfing in the softer stuff but are still pretty good on groomed stuff and is decent value.

As a guide, the type of board you're after should be $4-500 new. Don't get the $6-700 models.

Don't get a Capita (aka Snapita), Morrow (turn to noodles), Never Summer or Lib Tech (good boards with weird edge shapes for ice, overpriced because they're fashionable).

Burton or Union bindings in the $200 range, doesn't really matter which model. Don't get stepins or Flow bindings.

Decent boots will be $350-500. Go to a fitter or someone who knows what they are doing, otherwise you'll get boots a size too big.
Get custom foot beds and get the liner heat moulded.
Don't get DCs, and don't get super stiff boots or ones with an aggressive forward lean. Thirty-two are good, as are Vans and K2.
I don't fit Salomon or Burton well so can't comment.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:55 am

Mate you are a legend! I honestly have no idea about this stuff and your post helps me a lot.

95 kg is about right, last time I jumped on the scales I was about 89 kg.

My foot size is a US 10 as well

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 am

Meadow skipping with one of the kids yesterday

https://youtu.be/Xd90v6EkN1k

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:26 am

Nice farming.

Weather is turning warm here, it's a pretty shitty season thus far.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 am

Warm here today too but we're supposed to get a 15cm top-up tonight.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:19 am

alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:26 am
Nice farming.

Weather is turning warm here, it's a pretty shitty season thus far.
Winter here is an El Nino event this season so it should be a shorter snow season. May have to consider a trip inland to higher altitudes if we want to get the most out of it.

On the flipside there should be some decent clothing sales coming earlier than expected!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:57 am

El Nino in California normally means more snow, but later, and potentially higher altitude.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:08 pm

The summer here has done a good job of reclassifying El Niño weather conditions/ climate

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:02 am

Hero snow today. It was warm (raining in village) and then cooled overnight while dumping a decent amount. Up high there's a thick layer of cream with no hitting through to the crust underneath. You can lay out big GS turns with no fear. I had a whole bowl mostly to myself with an entry that deterred others and an exit that required a whole 50m of pushing. 500m vertical laps over and over in a mini golf playground.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:11 am

Very jealous.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:20 am

Same today. 7 hours of it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:18 am

It's been unseasonably warm while we're here. Double digits warm some days, like today. And yet, Europe being Europe there is fun to be had. In the morning I'm skiing firn snow with the family. And when they get tired and give up there are some aspects right under everyone's noses that are north facing and remain dry. One particular zone under a linking gondy I can lap and lap unfettered. Today for example a week after snowfall I fitted in about 4000m worth of windbuff GS turns solo. Creamy goodness at 35° that fills in from wind each night.

I see the PNW is dire. And so is a lot of Europe. I'm skiing above 2000m but the 1500m village and the south slopes are drying up fast.