back docs....HELP!

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

back docs....HELP!

Post by brendo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm

after 12 months, and a bad nerve flair up I finally got an mri last week. I knew it would be bad, but not as bad as I got.
c3/4 mild spondalytic change
c4/5 disc desiccation. large left central disc protrusn with annular tear, causing mild ventral cord compression. mild hoint arthropathy.
c5/6 significant disc desiccation. small posterior osteophyte/disc complex. significant bilateral uncovertebral joint artropathy, causing bilateral high grade foraminal narrowing with potential to compromise both c6 nerve roots
c6/7 moderate disc desiccation. moderate right side disc protrusion with uncovertabral and apophyseal joint arthropy, causing significant narrowing of the right lateral recess and intervertebral foramen with compression of c7 nerve root. mild annualr bulging with small annular tear.

and that's just my neck. I wont go into lower back.

my questions.
is surgery my only option?
are my surfing days finally done as I have suspected for the last 12 months?

ive got really bad nerve pain runs down back under shoulder blade and down back of arm to elbow.
at its worst I had pins and needles in ring/little fingers. I also get some pain over the top of he shoulder at times as well. he GP sad they may want to fuse my neck. going under the knife is last resort I reckon, but id appreciate some advice from u blokes in the business. OTWAY, im singling you out as no 1!! heeeelp

otway1949
barnacle

Re: back docs....HELP!

Post by otway1949 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Wow a genuine pain in the neck problem.
Really hard to advise here are you would probably be all too aware you have progressively worsening degeneration of the lower cervical spine. Complete with degenerative arthritus in the joints that allow each segment of the neck to move one upon the other This would probably give joint pain on movement and some pain and swelling in the tissue above and around those joints.
The major problem and what they are advising fusion for is the pressure on the C6 C7 nerve roots ( this is what is causing the nerve pain down your arms and is clearly indicating the level of the problem by your nerve symptoms)

A couple of other factors need to be considered before I can give you advice, What sort of work history do you have and what sort of work do you do now? Have you had any history of trauma to your neck? How old are you?
If you don't wish to discuss this on forum please PM me.

Chiropractic is only a limited choice for you given the MRI report and has really only a symptomatic relief which you would need to have at regular intervals ( a costly issue) it also has some significant risks with the discs showing annular tears, a rupture or increased protrusion would amplify nerve pain and neck problems.
Osteopathy is in a similar boat to chiro, as adjustment would achieve only temporary relief although Osteo techniques more often use soft tissue methods as well.

Acupuncture again would relieve symptoms, there is nothing in alternative treatment that can reverse the injury ( damage ) to your spine, I would also look a your low back, ( think of this analogy, if the foundations are faulty where do the cracks first appear? Near the ceiling).
You are a whole body not a set of dissociated parts!
Would low back treatment help your neck, possibly but by postural changes lessening irritation. Change the overall problem, unlikely!

Massage would be a very limit symptomatic relief just temporarily easing the soft tissue swelling around the joint and in general neck muscle.
IMO surgery is a possibility depending on what is offered, fusion by itself I don't think is viable as it only addresses the pain of movement and because the segment above and below are taking up the movement the neck requires they then degenerate further spreading the problem.
Fusion and laminectomy where they remove part of the bone to allow the spinal cord and nerve roots room to move and getting rid of the bone and disc irritation seem to have better outcomes. You still have the issues of other segments of the neck taking up the movement.
Surgery risks, not always successful, increase of nerve damage, infection, problems of anaesthesia.
Every treatment in any modality is a benefit versus risk choice.

I have had a number of patients that went the surgery path and the majority had great relief and success, a couple in my 30+ years of practice were absolute disasters.

Your GP and the team of people he gets to treat you are a group you need to have absolute faith in and they should explain the whole kit and Kaboodle to you so you can really understand your choices.
A pre-surgery program of physiotherapy and a planned rehabilitation physiotherapy program,as with all spinal problems getting a supportive core of muscles around the spine is important.
how much relief you get from anything is the question no-one can answer!

Now the most important.......re surfing the whole paddling position is fraught with stress for the cervical, there has even been cases of paralysis of beginners from the standard head up paddling position.
That's about all I can say based on what you've written. Hope it helps somewhat :-D-:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 pm

thanks ots, I knew youd come through with the goods 3-)

now to answer your questions. ive just turned 41. im a builder, hands on, and have been
for 23yrs. and yea, I do lots of back breaking work. ive eased up on it somewhat over the last
12 months since the prob first surfaced, but now im farked!
I injured my neck bad at the snow in 2000. I got disc bulge then, and tore cartilage off my neck, and the piece was putting pressure on the nerves running down my arm. at the time I got manual traction, accupunture etc, and I got better. now its catching up with me.
as for my lower back....
l3/4 mild disc dessication with mild concentric disc bulge. mild facet joint arthropathy
l4/5 as above plus mild narrowing of lateral recesses without significant nuural compression
my osteo doesn't really want me to go to the surgeon, given its my neck. im gunna let him treat it
for a few weeks, see what happens.
what do u think?

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 pm

If I were you:

- I would say scrap the "'alternative's" ... but seeing as though you seem to be a fan of it, then I guess it's OK but I wouldn't expect too much and make sure there's no manipulation.

- Get a referral to see a neurosurgeon. I would really recommend Dr Pope at the Poche centre North Sydney. He's one of the nicest doctors you'll meet and he's not one to recommend something just for the sake of it. He'll be able to refer (or I guess anyone) to try some good rehab with physios that do this week in and week out because like you say, surgery is last resort.

- He also provides you two options in doing it free in a particular hospital or for a fee at Mater. Not sure if thing's have changed.

- Would also be worthwhile to ask about Lyrica, it's a drug that has the potential to provide good nerve pain relief.

-