Rotator Cuff Exercises

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pirate_agenda
regular

Rotator Cuff Exercises

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

Anyone have any good exercises or stretches for maintaining healthy rotator cuffs. I've been doing a bit of swimming, along with some weights and surfing lately, and they feel a bit tight and like some extra mobility would be handy.

pinhead
barnacle

Re: Rotator Cuff Exercises

Post by pinhead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi PA. I do this exercise that strengthens the supporting muscles in the shoulder. You need to get one of these:

http://www.thera-band.com/store/product ... oductID=26

I got the black one but it doesn't offer enough resistence so I double it twice.

What I do is use the band to mimic the action of an archer drawing a bow both in front and behind my head.
I do 10 of each every morning, since doing these I've had no shoulder problems.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Yep I used the same band while recovering from my shoulder problems.

If you want to save cash use an old bicycle tube and slice it in thinner strips until you get your desired resistance.

Loop the band/tube around a door handle. Keep your elbows locked by your side against your stomach and with the lower arm at 90 degrees (parallel to the ground) and in front of you pull out the band until your arm is pointing to your side (ie. a 90 degrees horizontal movement). It's a very portable exercise that you can do anywhere.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 pm

I found this stretch really helpful when I had a similar injury.

https://www.surfbodysoul.com/blog/index ... rcise.html

Some good information on a number of surf related helth issues on this site.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Pilates and yoga
Have had ongoing rotator cuff issues for a few years and they helped.
Also if doing gym work avoid things with a bar. Eg if doing pull downs do them one hand at a time, rather than bench press with barbell use 2 dumbells so shoulders aren't 'set' an can move independently
Band work is also useful
Never confuse ambition with ability

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 am

It depends how serious it is. I've had rotator cuff problems for 20 or so years - most recently an ultrasound and x-ray revealed a tear and bursitis with associated impingement.

I was prescribed the exercise sandfly described but have been told to hold it for a minute because you are not stretching muscle but tendons etc. There is a related exercise I do, but it involves the arm behind the back, plus the standard arm in/arm out exercises. See here for the standards:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48112574/Sh ... -Exercises

Stretching the pecs is also important,

Pilates, yoga and stretching are all good for you. However, if you have pain, including acute pain or it's just not getting better - see a physio.

Bob

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Bump.

I've had some issues with impingement whcih has been quite manageable for the last decade or so, albeit it has come back hard after a few months of upping the regimen.

Very specific, as in supraspinatus issues. Got an appt. with a very well regarded sports physio Monday am, with a view to specific exercises to open up the acromional space some more.

if there 's a revelation i will report back......

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Yes please. Please share

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone here had or needed a shoulder reconstruction ?

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 am

Rotator cuff is complex. 4 major muscle groups, several tendons and interface between scapula, humerus and clavicula. Because of that, there's no one single exercise - it depends on your issues.

As a general rule, most pulling exercises are great for rotator cuff (cables, therabands, rows etc) and surrounding stabilizing muscles, whereas pressing exercises are to be avoided if in acute stage (i.e. Pressing bars or dumbbells, particularly overhead).

my advice is see a physio if you have issues in that area, and do the recommended exercises for active management. nothing so sure as to kill a surf career than a persistent RC problem.

SMW

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Also, reconstruction is only for the most very serious issues and professional sportsmen. RC problems typically managed by therapeutic exercise plans and strengthening stabilizing muscles,

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Well after my physio visit ( who surfs and is very familiar with RC issues), he recc. a few exercises apart from the standard set., which i will only summarize.

1- Sleeper stretch
2- Shoulder pull back (scapular abduction) see linked pres.
3 - wall push ups
4 - pectoral stretches very important
5 - upper spine mobility

Another point was that with tight shoulders/neck/ upper spine, one tends to slouch the shoulders forward. Especially if u are a desk worker. Its only subtle but a few inches makes a big difference. So straighten up that posture.

http://lib.sh.lsuhsc.edu/portals/orthop ... gement.pdf

thecds

Post by thecds » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I have had 3 shoulder reconstruction surgeries, 2 on the right shoulder, and the exercises/stretches prescribed are needed.
The only other tip I have is limit the use of the shoulder. By that I mean no over-head weights, no boxing, no freestyle when doing laps, having said that, breaststroke is a great strengthener for you shoulder and is encouraged. I know you'll look like a tool in the pool, but it's more than worth it.
The second last option is rest, like that's going to happen.
Last option, go see a surgeon, a good one. Depending on the damage, you may be out of the water for only 9 months!!!!
Look after it if you can, it's never the same after surgery!!
Good luck.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:14 pm

mine are feeling heaps better lately.

have stopped pressing weights and changed to a bodyweight strength training program, which taxes your joints much less than barbell style training. also came across this blog post which, along with pectoral stretching, has helped my shoulders move much more efficiently:

http://idoportal.blogspot.com.au/2009/0 ... ences.html

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:04 am

Sholud throw in my ortho (who is regarded as one of THE shoulder guys) reccommends breaststroke swimming 20 mins three times a week (minimum) as one of the best rotator cuff solutions.

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:09 am

My physio also said breastroke was better for the shoulders, however, said if you have neck problems, it's not so good. Of course, I have both.

Much overlooked is the importance of good posture as has been said with the shoulders sitting back. If you sit and type its very hard not to develop bad posture which makes the shoulders move forward. Good neck strengthening exercises help the neck but also counteract some of the slump. There is indeed something to the old "sit up straight". You really have to pay attention to this all the time as old habits slink back in. A heat pack is good for loosening some of this up as is massage, though like doctors and physio, do your homework and find someone knowledgeable. Massage can be real painful, you'll know what I mean if someone attempts to loosen a tight posterior capsule. It helps though (goes without saying depending on the cause of the problem).

Bob