tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Re: tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Post by shaunmorrison » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Well when someone calls me a cnut stain , that's what I do. He upt the stakes , he could apologise. :-)

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I actually am only doing it for Diggers amusement. :wink:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Come on, thay wasnt that offensive, if it was anyone else you'd have laughed
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Drailed wrote:Come on, thay wasnt that offensive, if it was anyone else you'd have laughed
It was the way he said it :lol:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 pm

I was talking about their reaction to what you said

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:30 pm

The Digger i know would not be amused. Take it elsewhere, cnutstain
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:10 am

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... north.html

Anyone else see this article. Bloody hell, so sad to read this. This is just tragic.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:39 am

steve shearer wrote:My wife works in disability support Digger and knows a fair bit about the NDIS....I'll ask her if she thinks there are things that could help your sich out.
Thanks Steve, Im not sure there is as Ive had a quick look and with Noah only having high functioning autism I think this rules him out. For some reason high function autism gets ignored a little bit, even in the autism circles which i find incredible and ignorant.

We are going to a physcologist on Wenesday to seek help with parenting Noah. Hopefully she will be able to point out different options on deaing with autistic meltdowns that I may not have thought of yet. We are definately getting there. Its been a long road, we have learnt so much on being parents plus dealing with his own brand of autism that im slowly gaining more confidence. Next we will be trying concerta (not sure how to spell the drugs name. All I know is its a slow release drug that calms them down). We are hoping this will give us a better crack at homeschooling him.

We were about to enrol our boy in the school here until he ran into bullying issues at the skate park. There was a bunch of kids really giving him heaps. I know he is annoying but unfortunately he does not pick up on cues from others if he is in their personal space. He just has no idea. It went on for two weeks and I watched. I hoped it would sort itself out. It didnt. I bailed the kids up on the street and let em know what I thought. Being thats its a small school with a composite class its now time to move on. Noahs anxiety is through the roof because of it so a move is as good as a holiday.

Maybe next year we might think about having another crack at it down at Warnambool. It will be a slighty bigger school so there will be more support in place. In the meantime Pomona Showgrounds here we come.

We aim to get to Cooper Pedy in winter then up to the rock. Will recheck were I want to stop just to make sure Im not seeing it through rose coloured glasses. Its sorta funny but the next town we liked the most after Warnambool was Geraldton. They have heaps of support there, the climate is awesome, and it aint far to Jakes, plus a nice reef off the lighthouse and shit beachie to teach the kids at.

Shaun, I aint gonna bother biting mate :)

Hope you all are getting heaps of waves. I missed the latest small window of swell up here but im not to dissapionted truth be known. I need to fix up a ding on my step up in prep for when a decent swell comes. I will be down at coolum beach caravan park on the 16th November and expect to be in the water for the dawn surfs come rain, hail or shit swell for a week before moving on. I will be easy to spot, just look for a bloated whale with a big gut floating around on a surfboard pretending his still 18 even though he is 50. Thing is he will always have the biggest smile on his face in the water.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:53 am

Off topic for a bit.

Ive been following whats been going on at ballina and I did not have enough internet to be able to catch the talk done by Nick about the shark issue. Steve, where you there mate, how did it go. Im not looking for a bashing from anyone about this issue Im just really concerned with what is happening to that whole region. Tourism will be taking a massive hit and that aint good for the town. I dont pretend to have any answers either.

By the way, when I travel down the coast I wont be surfing in that region. I was over WA and surfed out at hell gates with a km paddle to get to the reef and sat out there alone for twenty minutes before anyone joined me. Lots of sharks there but I felt safe for some strange reason. Even catcus felt a little spooky catching the left into the bay, though I would surf there again in a heartbeat.

I can tell you that you wont catch me anywhere near lighthouse beach.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:04 am

[quote="diggerdickson"

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry digger I didn't mean to annoy you, thought you would be more amused, I'll take it somewhere else.

And have fun zigzagging back and forth across the country, I wish you well.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 am

diggerdickson wrote:http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... north.html

Anyone else see this article. Bloody hell, so sad to read this. This is just tragic.
My girlfriends nephew is in the same school as these kids. Apparently lovely people, the other parents are in shock.

Side note, we baby sit her nephew now and again, he has severe autism, cannot speak and is nearly deaf and unfortunately very active and prone to fits of violence (he has stuck his head through every window in their house). It's a tough existence for the parents but mainly his brother, really tough, the help just isn't available for such a boy. I think the NDIS chip in 100k a year but that just covers care. There is the possibilty that he could go to a facility full time but the parents can't bring themselves to do it.
Last edited by Davros on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:53 am

shaunmorrison wrote:[quote="diggerdickson"

[/quote]

Sorry digger I didn't mean to annoy you, thought you would be more amused, I'll take it somewhere else.

And have fun zigzagging back and forth across the country, I wish you well.[/quote]

No worries Shaun, no offense taken

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:28 am

NDIS isnt rolled out everywhere yet, so keep that in mind. As a result its currently based on residency in an area that has the funding (if its not rolled out then the previous funding/systems still apply)

My son has 'high functioning' and he gets a small level of NDIS, mostly to cover psychologist/counsellor visits and also physical therapists (fine motor skills). Its based on individual needs/assessment so everyone gets something different.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:07 am

Davros wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... north.html

My girlfriends nephew is in the same school as these kids. Apparently lovely people, the other parents are in shock.

Side note, we baby sit her nephew now and again, he has severe autism, cannot speak and is nearly deaf and unfortunately very active and prone to fits of violence (he has stuck his head through every window in their house). It's a tough existence for the parents but mainly his brother, really tough, the help just isn't available for such a boy. I think the NDIS chip in 100k a year but that just covers care. There is the possibilty that he could go to a facility full time but the parents can't bring themselves to do it.
Imagine what would have happened to these kids "back in the day"

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 am

True. Even in this day and age I think there is the temptation to abandon the kids at the hospital so they get fully funded care. As heartless as it sounds sometimes it's the only way.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Wow, Digger I've spent a good while reading up on many pages of this thread. pretty amazing stuff.

I hope it all works out for you and the fam, Regional towns can be tough for new kids, I s'pose city just as hard but I dunno- something about the close knit everyone knows everyone vibe that I can imagine being pretty overwhelming to a sensitive child.

And kids can be fcukin mean at the best of times.

keep up the great work mate.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Davros wrote:True. Even in this day and age I think there is the temptation to abandon the kids at the hospital so they get fully funded care. As heartless as it sounds sometimes it's the only way.
I look back at the kids everyone that were picked on and no one ever defended them or thought it was the wrong thing to do. In hind sight one of them very definitely had aspergers/autism, but absolutely no assistance from teachers or explanations as to why he was acting that way or anything. Today, in many schools, at least most teachers have some knowledge (whether that makes any difference).

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Can't help but feel our society let down that family, helpless, stressed and alone.