tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:03 am

Take no notice of Andy, Digger.
The next compliment he pays anyone on Realsurf will be his first.
But it's generally acknowledged on here he knows everything.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 pm

digger you use products everyday that are made overseas. And thank god too. All those farms you're driving past on your travels most of there produce is sold overseas the reason for that is that in return we buy their products. I shouldn't have told you to wake up but your views of and judgements of people selling and buying products from overseas are misguided and a little bit offensive. It's fine for you to have that view but it in having that view you must fully accept the full ramifications of what you are proposing.

Just wondering what is the make of your bus and where was it built actually don't worry about that. The computer or phone you are using to access the Internet, was that made in Australia?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:57 pm

good one andy, lol.... Im talking bout the surfboard industy and what I feel the file cut boards and glassed overseas are doing to the local market, but hey, if you wanna have a go at me, go for it, if you wanna take it to the full extreme then fine, its obvious that this can be twisted to allow the push for these sort of boards to flood the aussie market as they have, I for one think that its bloody wrong.

As for it being offensive that i dont like thailand and viet boards sinking their claws into the culture of the industry down here on the south coast, well, I dont give a flying f$%k mate. Ive seen what its done on the gold coast and im shocked that its happened here as well, what is offensive andy is that ive been dumb enough to think it wouldnt happen outside of the big cities. Its offensive that im that Im stupid not to know that firewire is not made in oz. Its offensive that im that stupid enough not to know these things, the writings been on the wall for years and I just refused to believe it and now that the future is here I feel like burying my head in the sand even deeper.

As for your comments on the other products, fuc7 **f, go fish somewhere else. I cant be bothered with this no more. If someone is offended by me not liking overseas surfboards flooding the market then its a no brainer, I have nothing in common with them and I dont belong here.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 am

file cut boards have saved the local industry

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:04 am

Hey ranch. I have no props with file cut boards, i hope i havent mislead you there. I know john gillis who is in the hall of fame and have ridden his boards, as i have ridden marks agian. Though i do have problems with thailand and viet boards made from files and glassed over there. If you are saying these boards have saves our industry then im all ears, explain and educate me mate. Im not to proud to be told im wrong though i will still never ride one. File cut boards in oz have there place as does hand shapes. The difference im talking about is they are finished here, glassed here compared to being done over there. I hope that clarifies my position better mate. I of course prefer to know my shaper finishes, glasses and sands the board under the one roof and thats why ive found the shaper im sticking to for life then im lucky enough to know another when he finally stops.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:22 am

if you are expecting a handmade board built from start to finish by one person I just hope you are paying them over a grand for each board because that's what I consider a fair price for something decent within that construction framework

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:48 pm

All my boards are made from start to finish by the same bloke 3-) to be honest I have no idea how much they cost, but I believe I get a pretty good deal.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Digger, it's cool. Chill mate. Its just his opinion.. No need to turn it into a me vs them thing.

I personally like my surfboards designed and shaped in Oz too but prefer European cars haha.

All good mate, difference of opinions are what makes this board tick. It's not a personal attack on you. Andy just has a very unfriendly nature about him. Stick around pal.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:29 pm

http://instagram.com/easternlight

This guy also start to finish on his own. Just made himself a 10' 5" gun. He's sixty fcuken four! Gotta get another before he gives it away
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Beautiful swivic. They look beautiful.

Sorry Drailed, your right, im just to edgey these days and thats why I generally hide from people now and just live in my bus. I have to admit im guilty of not being able to deal well with people anymore and im better of being seperate from most.

El Rancho I wont go into what I paid for my board, its disrespectival and I will just leave it at that.

I do want an answer from your statement though on how file boards from oversseas has helped the surfboard industry, Im all ears mate and am willing to learn. ( This is said with no sarcasm, Im an old dog who just cant learn new tricks and most times aint willing to listen)

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Christ on a scooter you can say that again
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 am

which part andy, the part about not giving a flying fuck if Ive offended poeple by saying I think viet boards and china boards are a blight, or the part that overseas boards cant compete with our own shapers. Or the part that...ahhhh, screw it, whats the point. #*!

Well I managed today to nurse my bus to just shy of Kiama tonight, tommorow I aim for Kiama Coaches. I think I will be stuck in there bottom yard whilst they look over the gearbox. We are prop looking at 2500 around abouts. Will be stuck there for at least a few days,I expect till at least tuesday.

I managed to score some nice little peelers between the onshore winds and the blue bottles at south durras, it was nice to blow off a few cobwebs as i slowly start to bring my surfing back.

On another note, the drive from milton to bega is just sensational. Beauty every bloody where. If there is anyone here that has not done the south coast yet there are still some relatively uncrowded spots on the weekdays. I was mainly in hte water by myself.

Trev, you would just love it down here mate.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 am

diggerdickson wrote:I do want an answer from your statement though on how file boards from oversseas has helped the surfboard industry

pretty sure I never mentioned 'overseas' but you keep hearing what you wanna hear.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

el rancho wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:I do want an answer from your statement though on how file boards from oversseas has helped the surfboard industry

pretty sure I never mentioned 'overseas' but you keep hearing what you wanna hear.
fair call mate, on re reading your statement your correct and im wrong, but im still waiting for an answer, this will be the third time ive asked. Im all ears if you can be bothered answering.

I know the guy that bought out in the machine to oz and he never thought it would create the the chaos that it has( he still file cuts boards his boards, but finishes them, glasses and sands under them all under his own roof. He made me my first ever fish for the sunshine coast and it was awesome, he also file cuts for many sunshine coast shops as well but has nothing to do with their final product).

If you turn your eyes to the gold coast you will see the market has been flooded with boards, this in turn has lowered the value of the stock as cut costings come in the attempt to move the boards, the effect keeps flowing down the funnel until, well, no need for me to go on is there. Just look up how many shapers have left the business and how much knowledge has been lost in the last few years.

If ive offended anyone, just remember its my thoughts, there is no attack on any aussie brand of boards at all. Ive ridden file boards and custom hand shape. Ive just decided that I no longer will get a file board. If in the future i no longer have a choice and file boards are all thats left with glass shops ect..., then I will no longer surf and just make my own hand plan and go bodysurfing.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:54 pm

diggerdickson wrote: Just look up how many shapers have left the business and how much knowledge has been lost in the last few years.

If ive offended anyone, just remember its my thoughts, there is no attack on any aussie brand of boards at all. Ive ridden file boards and custom hand shape. Ive just decided that I no longer will get a file board. If in the future i no longer have a choice and file boards are all thats left with glass shops ect..., then I will no longer surf and just make my own hand plan and go bodysurfing.

i don't need to explain how technology helps business do I?

besides, you could make your own boards.
dont romanticise the whole thing, it's just equipment.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:54 am

el rancho wrote:dont romanticise the whole thing, it's just equipment.
When someone shapes you a board that ls just an absolute pearler how can you not romanticize it... I get very silly about it all.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Kiama Blowhole. The kids loved it,the sounds of the ocean. the power of the exploding water shooting up from the hole. They had a incredible time just staring at the spectacle. For me it was the first time at the blowhole since the fence was put up so many years ago.
Attachments
blowhole.jpg
blowhole.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 3284 times

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:05 pm

our gearbox before pulling her apart
Attachments
gearbox.jpg
gearbox.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 3206 times