Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
Any thoughts then on the effect of 'genetically modified' food?

Talking to someone on here the other day, who shared an interesting insight in the effect of GM modified wheat and the change in the protein structure having effect upon people via consumption in bread. I had not heard anything about the effects on people.
I think anything thats never been part of the human diet except for the past 100 years is a worry. That includes GM foods, trans fats, chemical additives and pesticides. It becomes very impractical to avoid all of those things, but technically they are all a concern in my opinion. I haven't read any specific research on the health consequences of GM foods.

I try to eat mostly non-organic fruit, veg and grains etc due to cost. So, some may be GM, who knows? I make a point to eat only organic dairy seeing as animals store things in their fats and no traditional diet surviving on organic animal products has ever had serious health concerns.

Hopefully one day I'll able to afford organic plant foods, plus organic meats on top of dairy, but not now :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Used to take ginseng all the time when I was in my twenties. God knows why.
It would probably do me more good now but I can't take it because it raises your blood pressure and interacts with other medication.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Well I've been taking the magnesium supplements recommended at the start of this post for about the last month. 2 tabs a day....morning and evening. I've just returned from Sydney where I was on a 4 day consecutive alcohol bender, with the first day being Sat night where we drank for almost 12 hours and only then having 3-4hrs sleep on the Sat night/Sunday morning. Then backed up on Sunday night....nothing huge, but still drinking alcohol for most of the day. Monday night was a big one again, drinking til 1am. Tuesday night was smallish as we were pretty tired from Monday night and working all day Tuesday.

The whole time I have to say, I never ever once felt hungover the morning after. Even after the BIG Saturday night and with very little sleep, woke feeling amazingly good, considering how p1ssed I was on Saturday night.

Not sure if it's the magnesium, but I can honestly say I've NEVER felt this good after drinking heavily for 4 days straight!!!! :D

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I have not had a cramp in the surf since I started which has been a good thing and still feel fine. A friend I know who is a nurse reckons you should take zinc with it but where do you stop. More research needed.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Multivitamin capsule?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Benn

Post by Benn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Magnesium is an important nutrition element and good for many reasons. We can't live healthy life without it. Our body needs this nutrition element. Anyway nice thread and all posts are informative.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Nobody says that magnesium isn't good for you. It's whether taking magnesium when you already have sufficient stores has any beneficial effect - other than anecdotal evidence, which I think should -> <:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Mg is particularly helpful for the muscle cramps associated with heroin withdrawal.

Recently due to poor sleep habits I had developed a twitchy eye. Most annoying to me, and made me look even more shifty than usual.

Three days of magnesium. Solved.

:-)
Erase.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I ran out of the Nutrimedicine Magnesium Biocomplex tablets so I switched to a cheaper supermarket brand which contained magnesium oxide as the main ingredient. Nutrimedicines main form of magnesium is magnesium amino acid chelate and magnesium phosphate with no magnesium oxide. I noticed a massive difference in the reduced benefits of the cheaper supermarket brand which contained predominantly magnesium oxide. My sleep quality almost reverted back to it's pre magnesium days and I got one of the worst cramps in my leg yesterday whilst surfing.

Apparently magnesium oxide is much harder for the body to digest and process and it's this magnesium oxide that also gives you the shits.

So I just ordered another 120 tabs of the Nutrimedicine Magnesium Biocomplex :D

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Dillinger wrote:Mg is particularly helpful for the muscle cramps associated with heroin withdrawal.

Recently due to poor sleep habits I had developed a twitchy eye. Most annoying to me, and made me look even more shifty than usual.

Three days of magnesium. Solved.

:-)
God damn :roll: :lol:

How do you know that your eye didn't resolve on its own after 3 days? Are you suggesting if it were not for the mg you would be twitching forever?

"sigh" I give up

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm

An observational case study of one is indeed the weakest form of science.
So if you can find me about 400 middle aged guys with a twitchy eye, we can commence our placebo controlled randomised trial.
And if we find a few thousand more, boo can do the meta analysis.
:oops:
Erase.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 am

Dillinger wrote:An observational case study of one is indeed the weakest form of science.
So if you can find me about 400 middle aged guys with a twitchy eye, we can commence our placebo controlled randomised trial.
And if we find a few thousand more, boo can do the meta analysis.
:oops:
Well first, there are studies. Not on eye twitching, but the same principle.

And It's just common sense, at least I thought so.

The best thing you can do in life is question everything ;) don't just assume causation from correlation, that helped for our ancestors thousands of years ago, but now it just makes us think silly things.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:I found the same thing Don ... and, when your compare the price per mg of magnesium of the supermarket or chemist 'over the counter' product to the 'practitioner only' nytrimedicine product, it's way cheaper too ... from memory it was about 1/3 the price.

Glad to hear your getting some good benefits ... thanks for sharing.
Bugger me, what price are you getting the nutrimedics for? I can't get it cheaper than the supermarket mag tabs, but given the supermarket mag tabs don't do anything for me, I'm happy to pay the $40 for 120 nutrimedics tabs.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey,
I visited a surf festival in Munich and heard about a special product for Surfers as well. Is Nice one supplements. This is the website:

https://www.niceone.de/de/News/Interview-Jan

You have a similar product in Australia?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 am

any verdict here??

I've been off and on the shitty magnesium tablets all year, and didn't notice anything, other than a runny shit if I took too many.

Interetsting to know whether it's worth getting the more exxy ones.
I have pretty serious back-muscle problems, at the best of times.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 am

My verdict is my sleep quality is insanely better when I take the good/exxy tablets. No tablets or the cheap/shitty tablets and my sleep quality goes back to very disrupted sleep.

Not sure about the magnesium helping my muscle cramps though. Have had some insane cramps in the last few surfs I've had, but that could also be a function of dehydration due to too much sinking piss.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm

magnesium still being taken ?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

gabsouy wrote:magnesium still being taken ?
Yep (actually this thread just reminded me I had forgotten to take my nightly one). Sleep quality is so much improved. Hangover intenseness reduced also!!! (Fingers crossed I haven't spoken too soon as I'm on a 3 day bender this coming weekend!!!). #*!