Sunglases for surfing

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Indo dreaming
regular

Sunglases for surfing

Post by Indo dreaming » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Anyone got any first hand experience with sunnies for surfing any recommendations on brands etc?

I've never used them and you rarely see anyone using them, assume because they can have many issues/problems, like fogging up, comming off etc

But as I get older I'm starting to think more about looking after myself in the water, in oz (Vicco) it's rarely a problem mostly because the waves are rarely that good for very long as where I live the waves are very tide affected and plus I rarely have the time for long surfs, but when I'm over in indo, my eyes can really get hammered as spend a lot of time in the water and it's more often sunny and a lot of glare.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Sunglases for surfing

Post by Donweather » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 pm

I use Seaspecs. Get you and 2 mates to order 3 pair and they through in free shipping from the States. Works out at about $40 per pair.

They have failed (earpiece broke off in the surf and lost forever) but for $40 per pair you can't beat them IMO. Buy the Oakly solution to make the water bead and they work a treat. Just try and avoid getting sunscreen and zinc over them as that's when they fog up etc.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Donweather wrote:I use Seaspecs. Get you and 2 mates to order 3 pair and they through in free shipping from the States. Works out at about $40 per pair.
Same here. I use my SeaSpecs occasionally and they have lasted a few years without drama. You just have to get used to momentary blindness after you dive under a wave, resurface, and the lenses drain of water.

There is a detailed thread on this website if you have a look (about 3-4 years old).

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

for late arvo indo surfs they are excellent. first time you use em, its off putting, feels like you are drowning.
yep use solution, keep the lenses clean... they tend to shit me, but on the other hand i value my eyesight

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 pm

i was going for sea specs from the states, but was a hassle getting the prescription info for my health fund, so i went with a local mob for my base jumping, surfing and fishing kayak sunnglasses.
they are polaroid prescription eel. http://www.blu-eye.com/blueye-online-shop/water-sports
they are awesome, i cant fault them, especially when i jump off the coffee table onto the lounge, or walk my dog carrying an energy drink.
i have found they do fog up a bit when surfing, only used them longboarding in the surf so far. may have to try that oakley spray stuff.

they are also great at work when its compulsory to have wrap around "safety" glasses onsite due to dust. they are great being polarised.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am

More annoying than reef booties in my book. Have used 'em a couple of times, can be OK between waves but off putting during. Lost mine, won't replace.

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:46 pm

I've never tried sunnies but I use a surfing hat in Indo - looks like a baseball cap with a long visor with a clip under the chin. It seems to help my eyes more than anything. It takes the edge off the glare and I'm able to stay out all day. Without the hat I'd only be able to last a few hours at the most. My pterygiums would be flaring. And there'd be no backing up surf after surf.

I even sometimes wear the hat in Sydney in summer. I look like a knob but eyesight's more important.

I've even considered a helmet with the visor thingy. Not sure what there're like but they look like another good option.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Could of used some sunnies last Saturday.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 pm

my ones were made by a company based in d y or some place nearby
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Adamkarren

Post by Adamkarren » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 pm

I've never tried sunnies but I used a surfing hat. Even sometimes wear the hat in Sydney in summer. I look like a knob but eyesight's more important.I've even considered a helmet with the visor thingy. Not sure what there're like but they look like another good option.
The doctors note template is a note used specially in office for leave purpose.