Heading to California?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heading to California?

Post by admin » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:26 am

As a native son of the Golden State, I'm happy to try to answer your surf related questions about California. I'll be most helpful on topics related to Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, somewhat less so about Santa Cruz and Monterey, and weaker on other surf regions...

don

mavericks

Post by don » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:03 pm

Haven't surfed mavericks, nor seen it breaking from up close. Have been through Half Moon Bay innumerable times and once flew over mavs in an airliner when the swell was immense. Serious, serious spot, but then everybody knows that!

pedrof

fly bys

Post by pedrof » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:14 pm

i love flying over macking waves, I flew into LA over the area know know as cortez bank on a big swell once..... *drool on windows*

Jirril

just wandering

Post by Jirril » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:35 am

That is so handy you want to answer questions about california cos i was thinking about going on exchange over there. Where would be a good place to go on uni exchange? thats close to the beach seeing as id probs be living on campus and wouldnt have a car. Is it true about all the lycra and rollerblades that go on over there? and are the beach breaks much different from the nthn beaches?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:25 pm

best schools for proximity to surf... hmmm... well, the one I went to (UC Santa Barbara) has a point break on campus, plus some windswell type beach break and another point break within walking distance (Deveraux). There's a student village there called Isla Vista (Eye-Vee as the locals say) where you can find accomodation. I'm not so sure about the rest of southern cali, but up north the university at Santa Cruz is pretty close to the beach too. Wave power generally is not as good as here, but come winter time it juices up. Water temps range from 12-20, though it's only 20 for a month or so at the end of summer. And it doesn't stay 12 for long either. Figure more on 13-14.