Pre-workout supplements

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Pre-workout supplements

Post by Grooter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 am

I probably spend about 40 minutes all up.

By the sounds of it I'd say I probably should just eat something before I start

Then again maybe the 2km scooter ride is the straw on the camels back :?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:52 am

Seriously hatch, supplements are never as good as getting the stuff from your food as Nick points out.

Having said that, if your diet is lacking and for whatever reason you need some supplements that you don't want to get through normal food then you can make a case for using them.

There are a small number of trace elements and oils that are being shown to be crucial in a huge number of ways. Things like potassium and a few other trace elements are usually easily gained. A variety of nuts, particularly pistaccios and to a lesser extent cashews have great things for the real man, but as reg points out, you may not need them.

As you live down south, start looking at vitamin d supplements. They are almost certainly useless but as no-one down there ever sees the sun you are all deficient. From what I have read vitamin d isn't really something that is absorbed much at all through diet, you actually need to have sun on your skin.

The only supplements I think are worthwhile are omega 3 and those types. You almost can't get too much of that stuff and the oily fish that are most useful in taking it up are not on everyone's diet.

But apart from that, you really should be revelling in the fact that you are getting tired. Your body needs to use up all its glucose in the system before it starts to work in metabolising the fats and other long term energy sources. This is why you need 10 to 15 minutes of exercise just to get started on fat burning, and that transition period when your body needs to find those other energy sources can leave you a little shaky and tired, but the more your body does that the more efficiently it will do it next time.

I tend to find that exercise leaves me feeling a little tired and a little bit more relaxed as you have worked those muscles, but also I get a lift in energy as the afterglow of the exercise pulls in.

Maybe you aren't sleeping well. Big snorer? Sleep apnoea is worth wondering about.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:31 am

Everyday I have Creatine (on empty stomach), Tribulus, branched amino acids, zinc, Magopticell, Glutamine powder, high grade fish oil, Mass gainer pro xtreme and another whey based protein powder. I train every day. I don’t have 1 gram of fat on me and generally have Acai just before I fight.

My wife is a naturopath and I eat healthy.

I used to take steroids but they made me angry and unreasonable.

My biggest problem is putting on weight. I can’t break the 100 kilo mark no matter how hard i try.

My current fighting weight is 98 kilo’s.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Legion wrote:Damn, you're fatter than grooter.
He is too the big pudding! :lol:
oldman wrote:
Maybe you aren't sleeping well. Big snorer? Sleep apnoea is worth wondering about.
Well I do have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. The 5 year has barely slept more than 8 hours a night in all of her years and the 1 year old is usually up 2 or 3 times a night.

I don't get up for the little one but crying, wife grumbling etc... does wake me up

That could well have something to do with it as well.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I just eat food and exercise, outside. Seems to work.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey KK get back on the gear. Being angry and unreasonable as a fckcn advantage for fighting. Do ya train at Warriewood?

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Hey KK did you share needles ?? - maybe you have hep C (or worse) - could explain a lot.

Doesnt matter how healthy you get now... if you have rooted your liver YOU ARE DOOMED >><<

8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:Everyday I have Creatine (on empty stomach), Tribulus, branched amino acids, zinc, Magopticell, Glutamine powder, high grade fish oil, Mass gainer pro xtreme and another whey based protein powder. I train every day. I don’t have 1 gram of fat on me and generally have Acai just before I fight.

My wife is a naturopath and I eat healthy.

I used to take steroids but they made me angry and unreasonable.

My biggest problem is putting on weight. I can’t break the 100 kilo mark no matter how hard i try.

My current fighting weight is 98 kilo’s.
can you explain what each supplement is for?

you seem to be ingesting a lot of them.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 pm

No i dont train at warriewood Natho but my 8 year old does MMA there. I train elsewhere....thinking of opening my own MMA gym on the northern beaches soon. There are a few but non like Boxing Works in the City
I have a few mates that are high level cage/mma fighters that are keen to help me out.
Why do i take them...cause i dont get enough recovery and energy from regular food.
The differance is remarkable.
I never shared needles...you can get limitless amount of needles free in Manly.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:33 am

Grooter wrote: wife grumbling etc... does wake me up

:D

I think lack of sleep has a lot to do with it hatchy.
I take a multi- vitamin daily and I am fcuking buff.

:shock:
wait, that didn't sound right....
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:29 am

offshore1 wrote:
Grooter wrote: wife grumbling etc... does wake me up

:D

I think lack of sleep has a lot to do with it hatchy.
I take a multi- vitamin daily and I am fcuking buff.

:shock:
wait, that didn't sound right....
No, no I thought the same thing :D

Got a solid batch of sleep last night and I went for a run this morning and I'm feeling pretty good.

Having a cold doesn't help though, maybe that's why I am eating so much at the moment :?

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 am

kreepykrawly wrote:No i dont train at warriewood Natho but my 8 year old does MMA there. I train elsewhere....thinking of opening my own MMA gym on the northern beaches soon. There are a few but non like Boxing Works in the City
I have a few mates that are high level cage/mma fighters that are keen to help me out.
Why do i take them...cause i dont get enough recovery and energy from regular food.
The differance is remarkable.
I never shared needles...you can get limitless amount of needles free in Manly.
i meant more specifically, what does each one do for you and when do you take it in relation to training times

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

Ok KK's MMA Gym on the Northern Beaches..it needs to be hardcore, none of this latte sippin trendy aircon fitness facility crap. I'm thinking something with no aircon, kinda open to the elements except with say a roof. That way in summer ya sweat it out, and in winter ya gotta train hard or you get cold.Think along the lines of those outdoor kickboxing joints in Thailand. Only the bare minimum and for the hardcore end of town.

Hmm names for KKs MMA Gym..I will get back to ya shortly ( SmashyaVision? Naaah) but ya gotta have a picture of Roy up on the walls somewhere.Just to fire everyone up before they fight.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

KKAMMA

KKs Anabolic M M A :o

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:25 pm

A ROOF? Roofs are for pussies.

I say an Octagon made of galvanised sheeting, with one door, lockable from the outside.

Or maybe just the whole of that sandspit at the Bayview dog park. Close it off with a wall of iron and barbed wire. Once you're in, there's only ONE WAY OUT...

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:47 pm

How bowt just closing off the carpark area above The Peak at Newport? Or Nick's garage?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:46 pm