Maldives surf trip...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

booradley
regular

Re: Maldives surf trip...

Post by booradley » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:28 am

swvic wrote:
Donweather wrote:
swvic wrote:Question for anyone. What's the best way to do money stuff in the Maldives?
Not sure what this means, but generally most of the resorts and boat operators all work in $USD.
Shoulda been more concise. Is it best to take US currency or just use debit/credit cards :?:

If it's currency, I should grab some now while our dollar's pretty good against the US

The banks get some regardless of how you go about it
Try ordering through Australia Post - takes a few days but no commission

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Well fark me, never knew that

Thanks boo
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

booradley
regular

Post by booradley » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

swvic wrote:Well fark me, never knew that

Thanks boo
No worries. There might be some admin fee if its online I think but it's nothin' like Thomas Crook or those other dodgey bastards.
Btw, heard from a mate that the currents at a lot of the Maldivian breaks can be pretty bad, being reef passes, and hence shite loads of paddling. Any thoughts?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Yep pasta point can mean spaghetti arms, but other places are worse.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:08 am

booradley wrote:
swvic wrote:
Donweather wrote:
swvic wrote:Question for anyone. What's the best way to do money stuff in the Maldives?
Not sure what this means, but generally most of the resorts and boat operators all work in $USD.
Shoulda been more concise. Is it best to take US currency or just use debit/credit cards :?:

If it's currency, I should grab some now while our dollar's pretty good against the US

The banks get some regardless of how you go about it
Try ordering through Australia Post - takes a few days but no commission
Doesn't always take few days. Our local has US dollars on hand and a couple of others IIRC.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

booradley wrote: Btw, heard from a mate that the currents at a lot of the Maldivian breaks can be pretty bad, being reef passes, and hence shite loads of paddling. Any thoughts?
Been to a few spots over there and never thought it was a major issue, could be the size of the craft I have been riding :twisted: Be interesting next time with some small kit.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:23 pm

lateralus wrote:Yee ha!!!!

I’m going to Pasta Point for 10 days from 14 April.
Hey Lats, are you departing from Sydney? If so, might see ya at the airport with a couple of other reprobates.

Doing the Cobia charter south, flying via Singapore.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

booradley wrote:Btw, heard from a mate that the currents at a lot of the Maldivian breaks can be pretty bad, being reef passes, and hence shite loads of paddling. Any thoughts?
Yep, but only at a certain part of the tide. Can't remember which one, but it's something like 2hrs either side of one of the tides (low or high). Can't surf at the swell magnet breaks during this time, but if your guide is worth a pinch of salt, he'll be all over this already and will have the currents sussed for ya and advise when not too and when to surf.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm

ric_vidal wrote:

Hey Lats, are you departing from Sydney? If so, might see ya at the airport with a couple of other reprobates.

Yep. Morning flight to Singapore.

Question: two boards or three? I plan to take a 6'2 quad and a 6'4 thruster. Wondering about the 7 foot gun. Which would require purchase of a new board bag as mine only holds 2.
Erase.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 am

lateralus wrote:
Yep. Morning flight to Singapore.

Question: two boards or three? I plan to take a 6'2 quad and a 6'4 thruster. Wondering about the 7 foot gun. Which would require purchase of a new board bag as mine only holds 2.
Haven't got ticket info yet so don't know the details, but suspect it'll be the same flight then.

Stopped taking more than 2 boards after a trip early last year, just not required for this black duck. Only took one to PNG early in the year but knew there were others available in the event of a disaster :D

Maldives is not 'generally' known for size. Couple of years ago it did a fair bit during the season, but that was an exception I believe. Donweather may know otherwise.

It'll be either the new 6'3" JD 'Suave' still in progress, unless I get all precious, or 6'4" Firewire and definitely 7' Takayama hybrid so I can out paddle every mother in the water. :P

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:44 pm

7'0" are not needed in the Male Atolls IMO. I took one and it never made it out of the cover. The waves just don't get that heavy on the take off to warrant such a big board. I'd take ya normal shorty, and a step up board with that extra bit of volume for when the waves hit around the 6ft mark. Probably something another 4 inches longer than ya shorty....so around the 6'6" to 6'8". I took a 6'6" and a 6'9" and rode both fairly much evenly as we got swell between 2ft and 6ft for the 2 weeks we were there.

Probably the most easiest waves to catch I have ever surfed. Don't think I got pitched over the falls once the whole time I was there....well maybe once!!! :)

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm

ric_vidal wrote:

Are you guys back yet? what was it like? carn ya carnts, spill it.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Heaven on a stick.
Beautiful waves every day, from 2-10 foot the time I was there.
Boat action gets pretty heavy from mid morning, I recommend you hit the early.
Erase.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 pm

lateralus wrote:10 foot the time I was there.
Where was this 10ft surf? I can't say I've ever heard of the Maldives getting to 10ft. Southern Atolls/beacons maybe at a stretch in a macking SW groundswell?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Pasta Point. 14 sec period?
how do I post a photo with photobucket?
Erase.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:58 am

spork wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:

Are you guys back yet? what was it like? carn ya carnts, spill it.
Will post a pic or two in the next few days... last few days for us were plagued by strong off or cross shore winds. Made it kind of unpleasant and a real challenge to ride and severely limited break options.

Of two minds whether I would race back down that far south for a number of reasons.

For a more detailed pictorial/blog check out http://www.saltmotion.com/

We were allegedly going to get a 22 second period, not sure that it eventuated but it got solid at one place. I wouldn't call what we had 10' by any stretch.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 pm

IMG_2482small.jpg
There. I’m calling this day 10 foot on the sets. Cue the can of worms.

I say don’t trust magicseaweed.com. On this day it was telling me Past Point was ONE POINT FIVE FOOT…..

Ric I know what you mean about the wind, it really got into it toward the end. But Sultans stayed pristine in the mornings, I think the island in front of it blocked most of the offshore.

Can’t wait to get back there. Dream and save.
Erase.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

big small.jpg
Yep. Calling it at 10. Not 1.5 8)
Erase.