Maldives surf trip...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Provocateur

Re: Maldives surf trip...

Post by Provocateur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey Don,
Apologies in advance but just thought I might take a punt and seek your guidance re swell forecast. Here 3-days into a 10 day boat trip central atolls. Eight gents from the SNB. We started on the south east at machines and relocated north west in anticipation of a nice south west swell - currently at Dhaalu atoll Kudahuvadhoo right handed facing south west. Anyway it's been ok but the crew has lost a bit of confidence in the guide he's a bit too dependent on magicseaweed. My question should we hold our nerve or head back over to the east side of the atolls? Any other general thought for the next week.
Bruce

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 pm

SurfieC wrote:
OddaP wrote:Hi Don, thanks for the tips on Maldive forecasting. Going 8 Aug for 10 days to Central and/or Southern Attolls. Outside your sphere or can you knock up a forecast?

Cheers. :-D-:
Hey, OddaP, how was your trip? Hopefully everything was great, particular surfing...
I thought i'll be now in tahiti and enjoy the event. But still in Australia/ Noosa (flat like a pancake :~ ), had some problems, #*!
..but its hopefully okay now. Maybe in 2 weeks I'm back for a stop in Coffs (because had a such great time in Coffs and i love this place)..
Give me buzz when back :)

Had a good not epic trip. Don pm sent.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm

OP, thanks for the PM.

PV, you looking for my advice based on swell or local winds (or both winds and swell)?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 pm

PV, as far as I can ascertain, you're likely to have light winds from the West around your current latitude. Heading north, these winds should persist. Heading further south, winds should become more light and variable, possibly trending light to moderate S/SE over the weekend.

Two swells in the water, building super long period SW groundswell Friday, potentially reaching a very inconsistent 4-6ft by dusk Friday and holding this into Saturday. 2nd swell is smaller in the 3-4ft+ class outta the SE and more consistent compared to the long waits at the SW facing breaks. SE swell looks to remain for the most of your trip, fluctuating in the 3-5ft class. SW groundswell also persists into well into early next week, slowly waning back into the 3-5ft class come Tuesday next week.

Winds can be very flukey down central and southern atolls this time of year, so forecasting them is rather a challenge, as they can change quite quickly depending on your latitude. Further north you head the more confidence in the local wind forecasts you should have. Further south, less confidence.

Hope ya score.

Provocateur

Post by Provocateur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Don
That really helps and clarifies our options and we probably can't miss from here in. Looking forward to this swell tomorrow and over the next few days. It's been great so far riding small uncrossed waves with just our crew in the water but a little more punch would be good.
I'll need to shout you a coffee or beer.
B

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Don
I leave for Pasta Point on 8 Sept, so if you have time next week I would really appreciate a forecast from 8-16 Sept.

Cheers.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 am

sandfly wrote:Hi Don
I leave for Pasta Point on 8 Sept, so if you have time next week I would really appreciate a forecast from 8-16 Sept.

Cheers.
Sure mate. What part of the Maldives and remind me mid next week.

At this stage, North male Atolls look to have around 3-4ft or so from the 8th Sept, whilst SW facing atolls could see a damn good pulse of 4-6ft SW swell building throughout your first week.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am

Don
I will be in the north male atolls from 8-16 sept.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Here's my thoughts. S/SW groundswell for the last few days is a tough one as a few changes in degrees in this swell direction (ie storm development/evolution) could have a big bearing on how much swell get's into the North Male Atolls.

Sun 8/9
Combination of leftover waning inconsistent S/SE groundswell and mid range SE swell in the 2-3ft class, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets.

Mon 9/9
Combination of leftover waning inconsistent 2ft S/SE groundswell and mid range SE swell in the 2-3ft class, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets, and more so during the afternoon (ie wave heights for this mid range new pulse may be undersized during the morning).

Tues 10/9
2-3ft mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets.

Wed 11/9
Building 2-3ft+ mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets, more so during the afternoon. Could also be some very inconsistent similar sized SW/S groundswell, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets, if at all as swell direction isn’t ideal.

Thurs 12/9
Building 3-4ft+ mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets, more so during the afternoon. Could also be some very inconsistent slightly smaller (2-3ft) sized but more powerful SW/S groundswell, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets, if at all as swell direction isn’t ideal.

Fri 13/9
3-4ft+ mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets. Could also be some very inconsistent slightly smaller (2-3ft) sized but more powerful SW/S groundswell, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets, if at all as swell direction isn’t ideal. SW/S groundswell waning.

Sat 14/9
3-4ft mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets. Swell waning slowly throughout the day.

Sun 15/9*
2-3ft+ mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets. Swell waning slowly throughout the day. May see the leading edge of a new building S/SW groundswell very late in the day. Possibility of some very inconsistent 3-4ft SW/S groundswell, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets, very late in the day.

Mon 16/9*
2-3ft mid range SE swell, with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets. Possibly some solid S/SW groundswell, very inconsistent 4-6ft SW/S groundswell, with the upper end of this size range only at the super exposed south swell magnets.

* Forecast is still a reasonable way out for these dates and hence subject to change depending on actual weather systems that come to fruition between now and then.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Don, thanks heaps. I will let you know how it goes!

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:17 pm

At Lohis, its pumping. :-)(
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Been interested in heading over to the Maldives for a few years but, to be honest, have been put off by the 'big resort' style accommodation options on many of the islands and the crowds in the surf. I know there are a number of charter operators in the area but haven't done a boat trip before and am concerned about the lack of space (I'd most likely be traveling by myself as well, which limits charter options). Are there less busy places in the Maldives with reasonable access to waves? Any advice would be appreciated.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

If ya don't need an icy cold beer after a hard days surfing then I've heard these guys are pretty reasonable.

http://www.cokessurfcampmaldives.com/cokes-surf-camp/

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 am

Cheers Don

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:55 pm

This wholr privatisation business puts me off going to the Maldives. Locking the locals out. What kind of arse-fcukery is that?!

carpetman

Post by carpetman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

So Lohis is exclusive to 35 surfers starting 2014, sultans & honkeys exclusive before the construction is even finished, as well as exclusivity at pasta point. So there are only really 3 or 4 other world class breaks which are't yet exclusive?
Sounds like the maldives just got shit.

I for one will boycott world surfaris & atoll travel for every future surf trip I go on.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Funny that World Surfaris were opposing the privatisation of sultans and honkeys. Privatisation is only bad when you're missing out on the $$$, so it seems.

carpetman

Post by carpetman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Good point Tonka. They certainly got pretty vocal about it on the SN article. Drops my opinion of them even further.