Tips for Mexico

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

slowy
regular

Tips for Mexico

Post by slowy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 am

Hi All,
I have scored a work trip to the US next week on very short notice.

When I arrive I have 6 days with a hire car to do what I want. I do have to be down at Oceanside CA by the 14th for work (1 1/2 hours South of LAX).
I was loosely planning to cruise down the coast surfing and drinking. I wanted to go down as far as Mexico, but have heard very bad reports of late about drug/cartel violence. A travel adviser even suggested officials were thinking of closing the main entry points!! (sounds a little over the top).

So has anyone been recently? Just I have been warned off other places and when arriving found them to be safer than some parts of Sydney.

I would greatly appreciate any insights/advice as I have had no time to do any decent research into the trip.

PS I also am going to Washington DC for 7 nights (5 days work commitments) and have 5 free nights in Vegas at the conclusion of work, so any advise there would be appreciated as well.

Natho
barnacle

Re: Tips for Mexico

Post by Natho » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 am

Spend some time in San Diego, the coastal strip just North of the city is a cool place to hang for a couple of days and can have good surf. Places like La Jolla (go have a feed in one of the cafes looking over the cliff top), Solana Beach, Black's Beach (good wave on its day). If your into Golf, Torrey Pines is on the cliff top above Blacks. Entinitas and Del Mar are other spots.
While in Downtown SD take a look on the retired Aircraft Carrier in the local harbour (if its still there). Its open to public access. While in the SD area you can pick up a guide to Mexican surf breaks from the local surf shops for about $20. The maps will help you. You can go accross the border for a day or more if you like.

Washington DC is great (except for the traffic). While it has one of the highest crime rates in USA, you are pretty safe if you stick to the main downtown areas. Gerogetown is a good place to check out hot college chicks and is a nice place to hang. Adams Morgan is the place (or was) to go at night if you want to hit the bars. The Smithsonian air and space museum is a must do. For a feed you gotta go to a local Crab House. Baltimore is not that far a drive from DC and is worth a day trip. Baltimore is the place for crab, and its worth going to a Baseball game to see the Orioles at Oriole Park (one of the great Baseball Parks). They are nuts about Baseball in Baltimore.

You could possibly take the train up to NYC, though you may be pushed for time.

As for Vegas I reckon 2 nights is plenty there. Id sooner take a flight to San Francisco for a couple of days if you can rather than spending that much time in Vegas. There are some domestic airlines in USA that offer great prices on flights. The difference is that don't fly into the major airports, but rather use the secondary airports at half the price.

While in LA can hang out in Beverly Hills, go for a drink at the Beverly Wiltshire hotel, check out Hollywood (quickly), walk along the beach front around Santa Monica, and drive up to Malibu if you have time. After that you will be ready to get the frkc out of the smoggy, smelly joint.

I worked all over USA and Canada for a number of years while I was exporting Aussie products (no not drugs). Some of my quick picks in USA are Chicacgo (a real USA city), Austin Texas (totally cool), New York City (you gotta go there), Colorado Rockies.

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 am

Natho,
Thanks for that mate, muchly appreciated. I will spend my first day checking out LA and surrounds then spend a few days cruising slowly to San Diego. When in Washington now only have 1 day free, so all good.
As for Vegas, I agree with the 2 nights but I literally had three hours to book all flights and accom...farkin work admin. But got a mate who used to work in Vegas and has sorted me out with some trips ( Heli flight to Grand Canyon ect) that I probably wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.
Cheers

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 am

Agree with Natho's comments re Washington DC. You can spend a whole day at the Smithsonians. I liked the Aerospace one particularly. If at Georgetown keep a lookout for the infamous Watergate Hotel.

From Vegas it takes about 5 hours to get to the Grand Canyon which I wouldn't miss - the place is remarkable. Stop at the Hoover Dam on the way there for a quick look. If staying there I recommend Tusayan which is just outside the GC National Park. Accommodation is much cheaper in Tusayan than in the rip-off joints inside the GC National Park.

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:25 am

Cool, thanks guys. Smitsonian will be on for my day off in DC and GC on the cards in Vegas.

Any hints with the Californian trip, secifically where to see/stay. It all seems expensive to stay at, especialy LA and Orange county.