3 Month Trip Planning- Thoughts?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Agro
regular

3 Month Trip Planning- Thoughts?

Post by Agro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Guys and Gals

Im lucky enough to be in a position to take 3 months off work from June to do some sole (and surf) searching. The aim of the trip is to get some great waves but to also have some cool life experiences.

Ive got roughly 10k to spend, but would like to come home with some if possible.

Only places off the list are Europe and East coast of Oz.

What would you do??

Cheers
A man goes to the zoo.
When he gets there, there was only a dog.
It was a shitzu.

ShaneK

Re: 3 Month Trip Planning- Thoughts?

Post by ShaneK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am

My first suggestion would be south up through central america. Maybe Peru, do Machu Pichu and Bolivia for 4 weeks surf free then spend a month up through Peru surfing and then you could fly up to central america for another month. Mix of amazing experiences and surfing. Plane ticket is expensive, cost of living low to moderate end.... South America is amazing surf or no surf.. June is prime wave season....Enough time to get your head around some Spanish...

Its a nice position to be in...

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm

French Polynesia has really come down in price. Flick through Tahiti and get up to the Tumotu Islands and atolls - you can live as cheap as Indo..get lost in The Pacific. PM me if you need a few tips on where to start
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah id say central/sth America.
Im just planning a trip back there for next year. Ill be taking about 6 months. i did Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador a few years ago, only surfed Ecuador, which was good, not epic, but I was there out of season.
Peru and Bolivia are amazing places, i will be going back this time as I missed sooooo much cool stuff to see and do. Could spend 3 years just in those countries, let alone the rest of Sth America.

Mexico down through central america, Columbia, ecuador and into Peru would be my pick. just a magical area.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Just dont go snowboarding in Switzerland, as an idle diversion, just prior to embarking on your ´6 months in marokko/North NSW/Indo/Mentawis surfing odyssey´ and then dislocate and snap your wrist, cause that will really fuk your shit up. :evil:

But do get the health insurance sorted. A few hundred beans buys a lot of Bintang, sure, but its a drop in the ocean when it comes to swiss medical bills. :shock:

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:02 am

thanks for the replies guys.
South America does sound amazing and I havent been there yet. But I am honestly a bit concerned about travelling on my own there with no spanish or portugese. Has anyone here done it solo? If i had a travel mate id be there in a shot.
Ive travelled on my own around Europe, but i imagine thats tame compared to South America.
A man goes to the zoo.
When he gets there, there was only a dog.
It was a shitzu.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

I've never been to S. America, but travelling solo would be a temporary condition, you always meet other travellers and if you don't like them, ditch them, lots of freedom there (as opposed to travelling with friends...) so don't let that deter you.

You could also consider Canada, it's cold...

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:09 pm

i travelled for 1 year through South and central America. Dont worry about travelling alone lots of travellers.
Be careful in some of the major cities at nite...pretty safe besides that though.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm

got a spanish mate who travlled south amercia and his 2 big tips are:
1. never ever speak to a cop if you can help it, they are corrupt as hell
2. take a copy of your passport everywhere, never show you real passport to any cop unless its at the police station, people disappear in those parts and without your passport youre farked