Climbing Mt Fuji

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brenno05
Local

Climbing Mt Fuji

Post by brenno05 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Booked a ticket to Tokyo in August...planning on doing fuji with a few of the lads. Has anyone climbed it? What trail did you take, any advice?
Also anyone have any must do's whilst in toyko?

cheers
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji

Post by alakaboo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:36 pm

haven't been to fuji. mates who did it said it was harder than expected, and temperatures changed a lot from start to finish.
in tokyo, have to go see the shibuya intersections in peak hour. will trip you out.
roppongi if you are into that sort of thing. good normal bars too.
akihabura (sp?) - electric town - see what gadgets we will have in 2 years
see a temple or palace, the architecture is awesome
sumo. must see.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:33 am

watch the weather report and if a typhoon comes and you've time then go down to kamakura for a surf!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 am

try to get laid - put an ad in the personal classifieds in metropolis magazine, say you're an australian surfer coming for a few days and wouldn't mind going for a drink and a cuddle with a lovely lady during your stay. if you get lucky, take her to a love hotel in dogenzaka behind shibuya. this is a must-do in tokyo. if you go to tokyo and don't do this then you might as well just eat a dog shit in a bowl with milk and chopped bananas every morning for the rest of your life.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:42 am

go see a rock band in a basement bar!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:46 am

go to a cemetery to pay your respects at the grave of your favourite japanese author! bonus: there might be some hot literary chicks paying their respects too you can hook up with and go to a love hotel afterwards! i think somewhere there's a guide to graves of japanese authors, i'll dig it up if you're interested.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:49 am

go eat sushi. sushi's supposed to be pretty good in japan. i think they might have even invented it. be better than a piece raw dog shit wrapped in seaweed, that's for sure! ugh, the thought of uncooked dog shit just makes me sick...

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 am

haha thanks fella's....lucky al i'll be onto that second suggestion for sure, although i'll try my luck without the classified ad. Unfortunatley i wont be bringing a board, but if the opportunity presents itself i will try and get a surf in

as for fuji im going with a few mates who are quite fit (one is an elite level triathlete) and who have done a number of treks and climbs (e.g Kakoda and Mt kilimanjaro) so i think the plan was to pick the longest and hardest route and do it from the base of the mountain and not getting a bus half way up to station 5....so it should be interesting. Ive read sites which talk about packing lots of gear, then ive seen others and watched videos of people doing it in shorts and t-shirts and just needing some warmer gear for the top.
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am

pink_flamingos1.png
pink_flamingos1.png (44.59 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
pink_flamingos2.png
pink_flamingos2.png (45.99 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
pink_flamingos3.png
pink_flamingos3.png (46.53 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
pink_flamingos4.png
pink_flamingos4.png (45.89 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
Mmmmm yummy!

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Legion wrote:You should post that in the film thread Karlos. It's one I haven't seen and not sure I want to.
I know what you mean Legion. That scene is particularly unsettling. I feel nasty just thinking about it.

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Try some whale meat?

ShaneK

Post by ShaneK » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am

-If you get a chance go to the wholesale fish market in Tokyo where you can see tunas being auctioned off for the price of a car. You can then have a sushi meal straight after. You need to get up really early in the morning to do it. You will have to check though. I think they closed it to tourists for a while as they were getting in the way, but it might be open again.

-Also go to an Okonomiyaki restaurant (its an elaborate omlette) where you cook it yourself on the grill in the centre of the table.

-Walk through the basement level of the department stores where the food is -

-its worth going up to the lookout in the Tokyo Metropolitan building (I think this is the name) view is great if it is not too cloudy

have fun - Tokyo is a blast!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:21 pm

the fish market is open again, just have to go between 5 and 6:15.
it is now closing most years over the Dec-Jan period when it is most busy. Otherwise it is all good, as long as you play by the rules.
no flash photos, smoking etc.

if you can afford it, get some otoro, the fatty bit of the bluefin belly.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:50 am

my tip is give Mt Fuji the big fat miss - get up at like 2am for a 3 hour nightmare bus just to climb a 2km high pile of ash - think being up to your shins in fine dust and rocks with 500,000 of your new best friends. Grandmas three times your age will be there doing it, so dont go getting some complex like it some kind of superhuman achievement. :roll:

my big FAT tip is climb Mt Takao instead (google it) take a 1 hour train from tokyo (trains in japan rock, buses suck) hike up mt Takao (perhaps 2 hours), farking bewdiful forest, massive trees, great views (and vending machines at the top of course) then stroll down, get the courtey bus to the mad japanese restuarant where you sit in indvidual pagodas in a japanese garden where you get served by japs in trad jap dress.enjoy the best food you ever tasted. if you go in busy season you will need to book ahead and good luck with that my gaijin friend. :lol:

buy a jap rail pass before you go go and take a shinkansen, anywhere, doesnt matter, they are the best amusement ride in tokyo...perhaps tokyo to osaka with a day trip to the mad temples in the ancient capital whatsisname with the biggest wooden building in the world.

stand at a train platform when a shinkansen cranks past at 300klicks...

catch a peak hour train in tokyo, just for your own amusement. marvel at the efficiency with which 2000 commuters embark and disembark trains which come every 30 seconds or so and cry a tear for State Rail.

Grab a pushy and go for a ride in downtown tokyo, get lost, drink some beer, eat some sushi, get found.

tell your terry triathlete mate to go run around the emporers palace.

visit meji shrine and that corner of the park on sunday arvo where the weird dressed people and the elvis dancers hang out...

sniff out Geronimos in roppongi for jap chicks that want, nay need aussie meat, they will be sitting round a table drinking cans of VB. Def go to roppongi.

eat everything you see, doesnt matter if you dont recognise it, its all top quality.

man up and go to an Onsen.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm

hey the unknown hodads actually cover 'fujiyama mama' pretty good, i wouldn't decide to give fujisan a miss just like that.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 pm

i'll vouch for takaosan too, i've been a couple of times. i recommend having a wank in the woods with a view of tokyo through the autumn leaves.