Chile to Morrocco

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Spewborg

Chile to Morrocco

Post by Spewborg » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am

gettin the fark out of the northern beaches and surfin round the world early next year. plan is to start in chile, finish in morocco 10 months later. anyone wanna take a stab at connecting the dots? wheres got waves and when? best way to travel?

c'arn cough up the goods ya carnts..

Spewborg

Re: Chile to Morrocco

Post by Spewborg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 pm

anyone?

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:33 pm

mate i have surfed both...

where u flying from to get to Morrocco?

Chile is great..long left points best between Nov to march otherwise it gets too much swell. Start around Pichelimu where there are a bunch of points close by (taxi distance). North and south there are some other great waves which I wont publish but ask around. You want West swells too as opposed to south. If you get a big jaws north swell....you will be in heaven.

North of Chile there is Arica and iquque which are super heavy slabby waves. the place they had the Rip Curl pro is amazing..not too crowded but fricken close to the rocks. Way heavier than it looks..

Peru around Lima a few waves in Punta hermosa but nothing great but rippable. Fun in summer and its always breaking.

North you have Chicama, and pacasmayo which are super long. A good novelty...legs will burn but you wont get barrels. Around mancora there are some of the best waves in the world...when they are on. One left point is super consistent and as good as a left Kirra on its day. there are crap loads of waves near by 1-2 hours away so ask around. Cheap as chips Peru too...

Ecadour few good waves around Salinas and Playas. Some great right hand point set ups but its gets windy and you need a good swell...not too crowded either. Cool locals...this place I got a lot more than i expected! Be careful though in the big cities like Guayaquil. very very dangerous...dont walk around the streets with bags..good chance you will get robbed. Montanita is another great town...semi fun waves but great parties and cheap stuff.....if thats your cup of tea

Panama good waves Santa Catalina but pretty crowded. A bit overated....would be loads of good waves around but its hard and the locals charge a fortune to take you on a boat to the Islands..didnt go anywhere else

Costa Rica some fun waves...but nothing too great, your not going to get the wave of your life here. Punta Hermosa fun beaches but crowded and lots of closeouts. Up Punta Teresa some great beachys and not too crowded...
Pretty americanised but still a fun place with offshore every day

Mexico Puerto and pasquales...super heavy waves. I didnt realised beach breaks could get that heavy... 6'6 minimum when it hits 4 foot to get in early and chase peaks (which is everyday from may to september). Over 8 foot you have to be super fit and big balls...think 7'4's and up..... This place is heavier than hawaii. No channels, 80% close outs and massive currents.

Some fun points near Puerto...guess you have heard about them...and were the highlight of my trip. Need a good swell (size and direction) and are tide dependant. Did 3 trips to one of them....first 2 were crap....3 was a week of the best barrels I have ever seen.

Europe i would hit the following...
France October (after comps)
Spain ( 2 weeks driving to Portugal) galicia has some secrets and its beautiful. mundaka...too crowded...way too crowded

Portugal great waves, cold water. north around Porto has some great beach breaks off Jettys and not too crowded..
Erecira has a bunch of good waves and down the Algarve the water warms up and some fun beachies. Just talk to crew..

Morrocco is great...hit it between Jan and March. Lots of waves around tagahazout but its crowded. some great gems though further north and south...one right is a cross J-bay Kirra. there is another secret right which is like snapper...takes 2 hours walking but is super fun (both need big swells)

Europe is fickel though...similar to the east coast here really...dont expect good waves everyday and take some boards for 2 foot days cause there will be loads.

Chile and Peru pretty much waves every day...same with central america from April to october...offshores morning and nite.

Oh and the women..if your single
1. brazil (south of San Paulo)
2. Colombia...so beautiful and nice
3. argentina (harder work however)

Spewborg

Post by Spewborg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:37 pm

yeh i figured i needed a different approach nuffink..

plenty of good shit in here lovenuts!

i wanna keep flights to a minimum, so south america is strictly a road trip, i wanna surf all the way up to california, so assuming i survive all the cheap stuff and giant norks, the plan is to then fly to europe, surf down the coast and hop the ferry from spain to morocco. after that.. who knows? declare bankruptcy i guess hahaha

thanks for your help mate

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Have fun getting through the Darien Gap by land :P

Spewborg

Post by Spewborg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

ballbags