short arm short leg wesuit in Indo - too hot?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

zingomar
regular

short arm short leg wesuit in Indo - too hot?

Post by zingomar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Never been to Bali Indo before but like to surf in a short arm / leg wesuit even in Qld to avoid rash from boardies and the comfort of a bit of rubber on the ribs + protection from reefs.

Will I be too hot as some stuff I've read suggests? Surely you can splash water through the wettie to cool down?

roundhouse
Grommet

Re: short arm short leg wesuit in Indo - too hot?

Post by roundhouse » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm

You'd be pretty hot most of the time, especially after about 9. Last year i remember just sitting in the water on the bukit feeling the sun nailing down like you were in a microwave. The water is like a bath so it wont help splashing in your wetty cooling you down.

Having said that, i surfed spot on a island near lembongan and it was freezing. Must of just been because it was so close to the deep lombok strait.

Get some non rash boardies and enjoy the paddle freedom. thats half the reason you go in winter!

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

zingomar wrote:Never been to Bali Indo before but like to surf in a short arm / leg wesuit even in Qld to avoid rash from boardies and the comfort of a bit of rubber on the ribs + protection from reefs.

Will I be too hot as some stuff I've read suggests? Surely you can splash water through the wettie to cool down?
Personal preference Zingo , yes you would be cooler in boardies and rashie but springsuit isn't going to kill you from getting overheated . I cut an old 3/2 steamer in half and used it as a top last 2 seasons in Indo didn't have a problem . Gives ya a bit of reef protection too which is always nice in those not so friendly breaks .

Whatever your feeling !

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:36 pm

thanks

I'm taking both options. Never been too hot in the water in my life so it is hard to imagine.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

make sure you drink enough if you wear the springy, it can be easy to get heat stroke if you go for a long surf.
you'll be surprised how warm the water is, and how much of a difference it makes...

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

... yep... it's hot enough to melt the sunscreen of your face. can't imagine doing it in a springy, cos it's hot in the water, out of the water & in the dead of night - it's stinkin' hot.
i take 2 shirts to indo - one to wear on the flight in, one on the flight out. the rest of the time it's shirtless sweating the whole time!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I wore a short john in indo, cause I too get a bit of rash in boardies, especially after hours and hours in the water. Short john was hot, but even boardies would be hot, you definately need a cold shower after a surf to cool you down and a few bottles of water before bintangs.

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Agree with all advice so far, ... but this one time at g-land some weird deep current upwelling meant that a springsuit was just perfect , and guys weren't lasting too long in boardies. Generally though no way a wettie is needed.