Uluwatu

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hecko
regular

Uluwatu

Post by Hecko » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:31 pm

I was reading this thing on baliwaves.com about getting to and from Ulu's:

"Ian has the follow helpful tip regarding getting to and from Ulu's: We were told by our hotel staff & then the taxi driver that you had to get the taxi to wait for us at ulu's as you wont get a taxi back. After several trips we discovered that if you simply get dropped of at Tides restuarant and then come back to there after your surf you can get (Gilligan) the guy behind the bar to ring a cab no problems. Have a beer or three with what you save in cab fares, problem solved."

Has anyone done this? Whats the go with boards etc? Is it pretty safe to leave it outside while you have a few drinks before the cab gets there or whats the go with that?

Cheers

Cales

Post by Cales » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:47 pm

Hecko,

You could get the crew at the restaurant to call you a cab, but you might wait a while for it.

Best way I've found to get around in Bali is to hire scooters with board racks. Cheaper than cabs and handle traffic, more fun and they make for a hair raising adventure everytime you throw a leg over.

That being said, after losing his scooter key in the surf, a mate and I got caught at night in a tropical downpour at Ulu's which flooded the main drag of Kuta, Jalan Legian...scooter ended up drinking water on a road/river...would have swapped that trip for a cab ride...

You can leave extra boards, gear etc at any of the Warungs (kinda like little cafe's) at any of the main breaks in Bali, Ulu's included. All you need to do is buy a drink...unless you really see something you like, don't feel obliged to buy anything else (craftwork, etc)...

Have fun!

poseidon
Grommet

Post by poseidon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:06 pm

i went to bali bout 5 years ago, not sure how much ulu's has changed. are there hotels up there now, i hope not. I remeber being able to stay at the huts on top of the cliff for about $1 per night. Can u still do this as i hated going from kuta to ulus and would rather just stay at ulu's and surf all day long.