Banyaks and Aceh - October?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

onawave
regular

Banyaks and Aceh - October?

Post by onawave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 am

Gents,

I have an opportunity to head over to the Bankyaks / Aceh in early October on the Jim Banks trip. Its 13 days, and the setup looks really good.

So has anyone hit the Banyaks? If so, it would be great hear some feedback, as it looks like one hell of a trip and i rekon at this stage it looks like a go.

Thanks in advance...

Jorgo
Local

Re: Banyaks and Aceh - October?

Post by Jorgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Tahinking of doing the same in late Aug early Sept. So very keen on any feedback too. Looking at Boat with max 10 - and 12 days - its not the Jim Banks one which I've read about too - but Banyaks the same!

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:05 pm

well ive booked, and looking forward to it.

already hitting the ments this year in may. but the whole reason why i booked that trip was just try to get somewhere really remote. and that seemed like the place.

from the little bit of reading ive done, it does sound hit and miss, but hey, thats why u do these trips right? go with the best intentions, and hopefully it should be a trip thats just very different from a normal surf trip to indo...

looking forward to it...

oaw

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am

Yep, you will score in that timeframe. I have been there and further up into the Andamans around the same time. The swell is more attenuated than say the Ments or Nias but if you are after more length of ride than plunging reef break you are going to the right place. I went pre quake so unsure how that has effected things. Wouldnt go any later than October though. Jun-July would be ideal if possible. It was a late monsoon lasy year so if it swings early this year (Oct / Nov' ish) the winds might be a little switchy. Still, the islands are the size that you can usually switch over and score on the other side.

Happy Trails Cowboy
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:45 pm

I have spent a lot of time around this area. A lot of the waves are crap now, post earthquake. BUT, a few gems still remain, you will have a blast, you will not notice. Try off the very north tip of Simeulue 8)

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

ps. Bay of Plenty is very over-rated. Serious.

Ken Oath
Grommet

Post by Ken Oath » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Iv'e spent time in all of those locations ( and about to head back there) and had some of the best waves of my life, October is getting a little late for Banyaks but still can produce the SW swells that you need and less boats, they guys running the show will know the spot that pics up swell, not as good as it was pre tsunami but still great.
@ Guard... Treasures, you have it arsed about, take off the same but end section too shallow but still a great wave and longer ride than most...SW wind is onshore .
Breueh is very average better at the known spot
@ Clif , Bay of Plenty smokes in the right swell ( just changed my profile pick to prove it ;)

Banksie trip will be great but exploration does mean less waves...have fun!

PS- Stay well away from the Banyak surf camp , that's if it's still running.
Surf'Sup Bali

Ken Oath
Grommet

Post by Ken Oath » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah it's the northern hemisphere so the winds are different from Bali and all that, the trades finish south of the equator and north of the equator above Simeulue the SW and NE monsoonal winds kick in, in principle anyway.
You are right , The right can handle a SW but more ideal in NW-N .
I cant work out how to load the pic, i'll have to sus my old photo bucket account out.
Surf'Sup Bali

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 am

it all sounds very promising....

again i wanted something different out of a surf trip. this definitely seems to be the one to do for that. looking forward to the ments trip in may. that should be awesome, but for some reason im looking forward to this one more....

anymore info would be much appreciated :)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Had the Banyaks "Treasure Island " in mid-late October 2009 Ona . As previously mentioned the length of ride has shortened but still a great friggin wave at 3-5 ft . Anything over tends to wash through . Also got some good waves in the Simulue region . There is also a group of Islands off the coast which look to have some amazing setups but there was no swell when we had a sticky beek , Skipper wouldn't tell me the names :lol: ......???? . I am sure someone like Banksy would have this neck of the woods covered. Would be surprised if you see another boat North of Treasure Is at that time of year.

Enjoy

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am

DV8 wrote:Had the Banyaks "Treasure Island " in mid-late October 2009 Ona . As previously mentioned the length of ride has shortened but still a great **** wave at 3-5 ft . Anything over tends to wash through . Also got some good waves in the Simulue region . There is also a group of Islands off the coast which look to have some amazing setups but there was no swell when we had a sticky beek , Skipper wouldn't tell me the names :lol: ......???? . I am sure someone like Banksy would have this neck of the woods covered. Would be surprised if you see another boat North of Treasure Is at that time of year.

Enjoy
cheers dv8. i am quietly frothin for this one. and i have a ments trip in may for my birthday too. so a good year ahead of surf travel for me....

i am however looking forward to the banks trip the most, basically due the fact it just seems different to your normal boat charter. and banks seems to have the same ideals about surfing as i do :)