Crescent to Port

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

lessormore
barnacle

Crescent to Port

Post by lessormore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Anyone know the condition of the dirt roads between Crescent and the Hastings River-either the Maria River or Pt Plomer rds and if they are suitable for towing a tinnie with a 2 wheel drive?
Its been about 10 years since I last drove down either of them and heading up there shortly and if they are still dodgy i'll leave the boat at home.
Last edited by lessormore on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

puurri
Owl status

Re: Crescent to Port Macquarie

Post by puurri » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 am

Last I knew the shire council (mongrels all) were "fixing and straightening" the road and chopping into Parks and other Crown lands in the process. It hit my (then) work desk via the L&E court and a series of injunctions were issued.

Plomer itself was up for gazettal as an Aboriginal Place under the DECC legislation. (and the greenies were running their own agenda under the guise of "helping our brothers")

Work may have stalled as many of the Plomer locals don't want it and the council hasn't the money to do the job according to standards. So it may have degraded further.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 am

lessormore wrote:Anyone know the condition of the dirt roads between Crescent and the Hastings River-either the Maria River or Pt Plomer rds and if they are suitable for towing a tinnie with a 2 wheel drive?
Its been about 10 years since I last drove down either of them and heading up there shortly and if they are still dodgy i'll leave the boat at home.
Drove the Maria river road about a week ago, not bad for a 4x4 Navara up to about eighty some bigger pot hole but you can see them coming. Didn't know the road real well ,almost caught myself out on some sudden right angle corner.
Ordinary cars IMO OK but I think it would bounce a tinny badly, The Plomer road is a lot worse.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for that.
Looks like I might leave it at home.Hopefully there's too much surf to have time for fishing.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Plomer road is heavily rutted esp. on the last Big Hill stretch but you'll have no probs towing a tinny in if you go slow.

You wouldn't want to do it very often though.
Once in and once back : no worries.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeh did the Mariah run last year. Not bad for a long dirt road with some pleasant farm land but no real practical reason to use it rather than taking the hiway i.e. no access to the surf.

Still remember seeing this geezer in a big toyota lexus style landcruiser with a huge boat in tow having the sh*t shaken out of him on the Plumer Road a few years back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my car, oh my boat :lol: :lol:

Funny how it gets like parramatta rd out there but usually bugger all the other way and its bitumen.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

You can always do a bit of rock fishing. The rocky bay between Plomer and the long beach is good. Buy yesterdays bread from Crescent bakery and berley up around the rocks in the bay.
You can get some good bream, drummer and blackfish in there. Squeeze a bit of bread onto the hook and flick it out with no sinker. You'll get a feed. 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Crescent to Port

Post by lessormore » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 am

Update=Crescent to Plomer has been graded. Plomer to Port-4WD only.Maria Rd good(for a dirt road)