Mexico to Panama

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

roundhouse
Grommet

Mexico to Panama

Post by roundhouse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:51 pm

G'day,

Getting some rough plans together for about a 4 week trip next year through Mexico and Central America while the flights to LA are cheap.

I just have a few questions for anyone who has been there before.

Whats the best time of year to score some consistent surf and good winds & weather? (eg. like March to May is a good bet on our east coast)

Whats the best way to go about getting around? Would preferably like to drive myself. Best to buy an old forby? Rent?

Any other experiences or tips you have would be good. Im thinking the Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama stretch would be an awesome trip. Maybe split it into a LA to Cabo trip and then jump a plane down to CR and the rest??

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Mexico to Panama

Post by Grooter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

May want to get yourself one of these when you cross the border.

Mexico is not a safe place nowadays
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:50 pm

^^^^Had a friend juts come back from Puerto Escondido and he said he always worried about his girlfriend being on the beach when he went surfing there - worse further down the coast as well.

I would definetly just fly down to Costa Rica - just go straight to Guanacaste IMO, you aren't going to find any better surf travelling down by road but you will find some exceptionally corrupt border officials. :shock:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Head in to the Darien Gap - I heard it pumps! :P