Lakey Peak

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brenno05
Local

Lakey Peak

Post by brenno05 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:28 pm

heading over to lakey in July hoping to score a few waves....just after some info from our seasoned travel veterans about the set up, conditions, waves, and what boards youd suggest bringing as well as any general advice?

I was tossing up whether to take 3 or 4 boards...my standard is a 6.3 fibre flex, but was also going to bring the 6.6 warner semi and my 6.0 joistik for the groveller days....dont really have a legit step up board which may be schoolboy if this weeks forecasted swell rolls through when im over there..

i have surfed bali before and would class my ability as moderate

thanks guys appreciate the info
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

OddaP
barnacle

Re: Lakey Peak

Post by OddaP » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I went there last year Brenno. Was a great spot (i went in May).

Salty has some good info that he gave me.

Take plenty of rupiah as there's no ATM and if you pay the hotel bill (Aman Gati) there is a surcharge. Fat Mama's at the end of the strip does great food.

Get up early to get the most of the day before the trades kick up (and they will), and when it does only 1 spot is then cross/offshore.

I would take 3 boards, normal shorty, a step up and then a semi gun.

It cops swell, hope you score
:mrgreen:

Wink

Post by Wink » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:13 pm

On smaller days, hunt for a few waves on the right. Most people stay on the left, but you can get really fun barrels on the right even at 2-3 ft.

Get up early - be the first one out in the morning. We were walking out on the reef before the sun came up. Surf yourself out before the trades come up. Kick back for the rest of the day, then try and catch the afternoon glass off. But the main thing is get up REEEAL early for the best waves.

One other thing - Lakeys is by far the best wave in the area. Don't waste too much time trying to hunt out other spots, especially if Lakeys is on.

Last, but not least, make sure you stay in a place were you can easily check the Peak from your bedroom or veranda. Makes life a lot easier.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 am

thanks for the tips boys much appreciated!...booked into aman gati so position wise i think i cant do much better. will definately be hitting the pre-dawn patrol to get my share of the action...

really looking forward to getting over there...only have a week at lakey so hoepfully i get some nice ones....will post some pics and let you fellas know how it went down!!

cheers again

brendan
Manly Chiropractor

z_halen

Post by z_halen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 am

Hey Guys, how late in the season can you go to Lakey ??

Is October too late

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am

Halen,

Ideally i think you wanna go a bit earler than october. But in saying that october is not in the prime season crowd wise and theres still a good chance of waves.

I went in november 2 years ago. Stayed for a week at the mona lisa (highly recommended, stay away from the aman gati i reckon) and the surf didn't drop below 4 foot the whole time. Would get up early, first out and have an hour or two, or even 3 sans crowds. The wind was coming up in the afternoon when I was there but the left is sooooo smackable with a bit of onshore.

My tip, if you've got the time, stick around bali or somewhere ele in indo, than when you see a swell/wind combo, jump on a flight to Sumbawa, cause you really wouldn't want to be hanging out a lakeys when theres no waves around, not too much else going on there.

Let us know how you go!

Rude Beef

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Oh and another thing that I fogot.

Merpati will charge you for your boards, an amount of their choosing.

Merpati will also at their discretion also transport your boards on the same day as your flight. There were only 2 guys of out a lot on a flight whose boards arrived back in Bali on the same day, the rest of us had to come back the next afternoon, apparently they told us in Bima and everyone to a man said that that was ok :x

z_halen

Post by z_halen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Cheers thanks for that, Dam November sounds super late, but i'm pretty restriceted to early October, fickle time of the year sure, but it's better than nothing. I'm just checking out the mona lisa joint on the net now.

Was thinking of that Aman Gatti place, cuase i wanna go with the missus and infant? Had the pool and all that what do you guys think about traveling with the family over there?

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:13 am

Halen,

From my experiance (pretty limited here) if your travelling with the family then go for the aman gati i reckon. I only stayed at the monal lisa cause I was going solo and im 20 and spent around 20 minutes a day in the place (aside from sleeping). its a bit cheaper so thats wy i suggested it.But you wouldn't want your little one to be whinging about the heat and stuff, so pool and a/c would be a good option.

And now for a bit advice from my mates before I left, '2 rules, pull in and tarp up!' makes sense really :lol:

Have fun over there

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:44 pm

did you guys take malaria tabs in sumbawa?
Manly Chiropractor

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:45 am

How crowded is it getting there in peak season now? 30+ on the peak?

Beaver
regular

Post by Beaver » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:08 pm

If you guys were just hanging out in Bali for a month. And you saw a swell on the way.
Would you do Lakey Peak for a week, Or G-land?

z_halen

Post by z_halen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey Salty, doesn't sound quite like how i had pictured it, and i definitely don't think that my missus would go for it, Could mean that i have a lot more time surfing as a single man though afterwards !

Think i'll have a look around for some more Wife friendly locations.

Thanks heaps

Damien
regular

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:18 am

Guys, guys. So much negativity. I beg to differ.

Lakey’s is one of my fav places in indo. It has changed a lot since the early days but can still be great fun at the right time. Here are some points to consider:-

1. If you go in the middle of the dry season, it will be horrendously crowded. Not telling what time of year I go.
2. Yes, there is not much else to do but what the f*ck are you going to indo for anyway for f*cks sake, to go shopping, to be constantly entertained? Geez, take a few good books, go for a walk, go fishing, go snorkelling, swim, drink beer, relax whatever. How would some of you blokes go staying in real remote places with no tv, movies, internet and all the other first world comforts.
3. I have brought my wife and infant daughter several times and they had a blast. If your chick needs to be constantly entertained all the time, leave her at home or get a new chick because you are in for some problems over the years.
4. Lakey’s and surrounding areas are not Solo, Central Java. Women do not have to cover up excessively and I find the villagers to be curious but very friendly people.
5. The food is variable but I always find that the Lakey Beach Inn has great food and cheap as chips.
6. You don’t have to travel to get to the waves. You can walk to 4 quality waves and short bike rides to others.