Ments Boat Trip Advice

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

SAsurfa
barnacle

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Ah, thanks Don, that's all good then :)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:01 pm

green iguana wrote:DV8,

I know it sounds pricey, check out the website I posted above, the boat is a floating hotel run by surfers, not peoepl you are just there to make a buck.

Everytime I've been with theses guys I have been very impressed, they are geared up and passionate about getting the best waves/experience for guests...

10/11 nights is not enough, the 14 days ensures your best chance of scoring that memorable swell....

We would be stoked if you guys can join us in Sumatra....

Pete
No go Pete , the cost is a little out of the comfort zone . Been in touch with Scuzz sounds like it will be a good trip. Even tried to sqeeze the price down to no success :lol: .............Hope you get it locked in with another coupla surfers. 8)

green iguana

Post by green iguana » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for the update.....

Pete

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 am

Was a bit out of my league as well sorry Pete, booked a trip with the Surf Travel Company and they were great to deal with, organised everything! Stoked!

Cheers, Craig

sweepstakes

Post by sweepstakes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:59 am

Ok guys, i've narrowed it down to two boats, either the "Irish Mist" with the Surf Travel Company for $2450 or the "Santa Lusia" with World Surfari's for $2400.

Had mates go on both of these boats and while not the best out there, I heard they are good value for money.

Has anyone had any troubles with any of these boats??
Santa Lusia is a bigger boat but they have a benchong as a member of the crew :lol:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:11 pm

So, Craig, how was it? Did ya score some good uncrowded conditions? Tell us all about it. Any pics?

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah it was a great trip Don, no big swels until the last day but plenty of fun 3ft days with the odd bigger one here and there. Unfortunately just a few days after we left Padang the earthquake hit and its not sounding too good at all over there. Here are some shots from my trip with some others also on my photobucket..

http://www.swellnet.com.au/sessions.php ... 021009.php

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q10/sasurfa1/

Cheers, Craig

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Pics look great Craig, and yeah it's devasting seeing the other images coming out of Padang.

What were the crowds like in the water?

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:35 pm

yeah, awesome pics!

im also curious on the crowds as well..?

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Cheers guys, and yeah the crowds were pretty good.

It worked out that our boat and 2 others were travelling to the same breaks roughly at the same time, and although this doesn't sound like the best outcome for crowds, it actually worked out quite well.

Due to us travelling all together for nearly half the trip we got to know each other and each others abilities and this helped in the working of the lineup, and also there was a bit of shift work going on. I kept a closer eye on the cycle of things and ended up timing a few good surfs with as low as 3 other people at Macca's and only one other at Lances left. The thing is once the crowd gets this low it doesn't take long for a few keen punters to see the lack of crew, hence heading out and crowding the line-up again.

But in any case I has no issues at all with the crew and our boat seemed to over populate the lineup anyway and this helped working together to score waves. I can honestly say that I got more than my fair share of waves and was content after every surf.

So summing up, no the crowds weren't a problem, quite the opposite and the most crowded it got in my memory was about 15 at lances on the last day, but again timing the crowds and conditions had me and only 4 others out as the swell pulsed to 6ft and a storm passed leaving clean glassy emptiness :D

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 am

thats good news about the crowds...

im heading over there next may with a bunch of mates. last time we headed up to the telo's region, which imho, was awesome because most days we had breaks to ourselves.

i dont need to surf lances left or lances right to feel like its been the uber surf trip. infact, id be quite bummed to paddle out there with another two boats loads of people there....

it would be like the maldives all over again (that place is terrible for crowds for anyone who hasnt gone)

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm another one who would say go with Scuzz but it looks like you have been and gone. Done two trips with those guys and they were both epic. Didn't have Scuzz either time, had AK, good bloke and knew what he was doing and as an extra bonus was pretty damn handy with a camera. First trip was 14 days in the Ments the second was 18 days in North Sumatra, that was the better trip IMO, better waves and less ppl. Also due to the crew being from some of the islands we got a bit of a cultural experience on land as well.

Sorta have an opportunity to go on a 24 day trip next May but the dollars and the length of time making it pretty hard to commit to. Would love to say yes but my current situation isn't stable enough to make a call unfortunately. Did both my trips on Asia, next one would be on Mikumba, mates have been on that one and rated it highly.

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:59 pm

yep, scuzz is a legend. he is a top bloke and i can't speak highly enough of him.
just so you know, he doesn't have asia any more. and if you want to do a trip with him, i think he is usually on southern cross