Ments Boat Trip Advice

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
SAsurfa
barnacle
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 am
Location: 20 hours drive away..

Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I'm heading off to indo in September and looking to book a boat trip around the Mentawais for around 8-10 days or so (I think that's the usual package time).

So I was wondering if any one who's been over their on a boat recommends a boat to go with or who not to go with and any troubles or things that you came across that may be useful to me.

Probably looking to spend around $2500 and don't need a pimp boat that costs the earth, just a 3 meal a day with a few beers and a fairly safe and smooth operator who can move around and possibly make a trip to Nias??

Cheers for any helps guys, much appreciated :D

User avatar
lessormore
barnacle
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 am
Location: southside

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by lessormore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 am

See Ric Cameron-and mention you frequent Realsurf and he'll give you a verry speecial prrice indeed! :roll:

Oh- and don't forget to ask him how he got those red marks around his neck-Its a good story :roll:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

User avatar
aaronn
barnacle
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by aaronn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:34 am

________________________________
I HAVE U ALL BLOCKED

User avatar
DV8
regular
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm
Location: anywhere for the early
Contact:

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by DV8 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:23 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Hey guys and gals,

I'm heading off to indo in September and looking to book a boat trip around the Mentawais for around 8-10 days or so (I think that's the usual package time).

So I was wondering if any one who's been over their on a boat recommends a boat to go with or who not to go with and any troubles or things that you came across that may be useful to me.

Probably looking to spend around $2500 and don't need a pimp boat that costs the earth, just a 3 meal a day with a few beers and a fairly safe and smooth operator who can move around and possibly make a trip to Nias??

Cheers for any helps guys, much appreciated :D
Hey SA,

I've always found a Westerner/Aussie skipper with about 8-10+ experience and you cannot go too far wrong .Just seems to make things easier all round . I mentioned in the Sumatra post www.theperfectwave.com.au has a couple of good boats at reasonable prices 2500-2800 mark. Not pushing the site I've just had good experience through them .

Shane Peel
regular
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by Shane Peel » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey SA,
On that budget your best bet is Chris "Scuzz" Scurrah and his boats. They are the best of the indo style boats and if Scuzz is onboard you will get EPIC waves with very few others around. Just google Southern Cross Mentawai Charter.

User avatar
SAsurfa
barnacle
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 am
Location: 20 hours drive away..

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by SAsurfa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Cheers for the help guys, will suss out a few of the link's you've posted! :)

green iguana
newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by green iguana » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:02 pm

SA,

I am currently organising a boat trip to North Sumatra. 4 salty sea dogs have signed up to date, the boat can take 8, so 4 spots are up for grabs.

Another 2 confirmed would guarantee departure,

The trip is on the Southern Cross, departs Padang on the 25 th September, cost is $3,100 for 14 full days of surfing.

The Southren Cross is by far the most experienced / best value boat, captained by the legenddary "Scuzz". Heaps of room and very comfortable.

Our itinerary will depend on the wind/swell/crowd patterns at the time. The range is anywhere from the Mentawai's / Tellos / Nias & Hinakos / Banyaks.

The brief for the trip is the best waves with minimal crowds where ever they may be. It's going to be all time.

Get in touch with me if you are intrested.

see http://www.sumatransurfariis.com/ for further details.

Pete

User avatar
DucksNuts
regular
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by DucksNuts » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 pm

Make sure you're with an open minded bunch, if you've got the option.
We had a blast last year in the wet season, even with little swell (we got a usually $$$ boat for very cheap).
It becomes a pain though if there's anyone who comes aboard expecting surf like we see in all the movies: it's like any place on earth in it's "on-season", and as such, obviously can't expect every day to be 6ft and smoking. That said, when the swell arrives, the reefs that it hits are obviously the best shaped in the world.
Also, if you do any waiting around in places like Padang, it's a real ball-chafe to have someone constantly in your ear about "why are they looking at us, why are they looking at us": have people who embrace the different culture :D

Chong
regular
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Down The Coast

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by Chong » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I would avoid the MV Saranya. I went on it with a few mates in 2007. The boat itself was ok, the staff were great but we got screwed with the skipper on the boat. We were meant to have a skipper who surfed instead we had a grumpy, sweaty rotund non surfing pom cnut who saw owning part of a charter boat as an easy way to fund his sleazy life in Indo. The big lesson we learnt is that a surfing skipper is essential to an epic trip.

User avatar
DV8
regular
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm
Location: anywhere for the early
Contact:

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by DV8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

green iguana wrote:SA,

I am currently organising a boat trip to North Sumatra. 4 salty sea dogs have signed up to date, the boat can take 8, so 4 spots are up for grabs.

Another 2 confirmed would guarantee departure,

The trip is on the Southern Cross, departs Padang on the 25 th September, cost is $3,100 for 14 full days of surfing.

The Southren Cross is by far the most experienced / best value boat, captained by the legenddary "Scuzz". Heaps of room and very comfortable.

Our itinerary will depend on the wind/swell/crowd patterns at the time. The range is anywhere from the Mentawai's / Tellos / Nias & Hinakos / Banyaks.

The brief for the trip is the best waves with minimal crowds where ever they may be. It's going to be all time.

Get in touch with me if you are intrested.

see http://www.sumatransurfariis.com/ for further details.

Pete
Hey Pete,

Mate is that $3100 US dollars ?

green iguana
newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by green iguana » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Yes, it's US dollars......

I have been on many boat charters throughout Indo, and I can say that you get what you pay for, sumantran surfaris are the best value in the Mentawais...

Keep in mind that this is a 14 day trip with a range that extends from Nias to south Mentawai (South Pagi), most others are 10/11 nights only....

Pete

Shane Peel
regular
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by Shane Peel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm

green iguana wrote:SA,

I am currently organising a boat trip to North Sumatra. 4 salty sea dogs have signed up to date, the boat can take 8, so 4 spots are up for grabs.

Another 2 confirmed would guarantee departure,

The trip is on the Southern Cross, departs Padang on the 25 th September, cost is $3,100 for 14 full days of surfing.

The Southren Cross is by far the most experienced / best value boat, captained by the legenddary "Scuzz". Heaps of room and very comfortable.

Our itinerary will depend on the wind/swell/crowd patterns at the time. The range is anywhere from the Mentawai's / Tellos / Nias & Hinakos / Banyaks.

The brief for the trip is the best waves with minimal crowds where ever they may be. It's going to be all time.

Get in touch with me if you are intrested.

see http://www.sumatransurfariis.com/ for further details.

Pete
Hey Guys if you are up in the Tello region drop into the lodge for a beer, Scuzz is a great skipper and all-round nice bloke who we are great mates with. You can also watch a game of footy or send a few emails :D :D

User avatar
DV8
regular
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm
Location: anywhere for the early
Contact:

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by DV8 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:27 pm

green iguana wrote:Yes, it's US dollars......

I have been on many boat charters throughout Indo, and I can say that you get what you pay for, sumantran surfaris are the best value in the Mentawais...

Keep in mind that this is a 14 day trip with a range that extends from Nias to south Mentawai (South Pagi), most others are 10/11 nights only....

Pete
Sort of trip I'm hanging to do . Bit steep on the $$$ for my mate off sider me thinks but I'll definately find out if its do able for him.

green iguana
newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by green iguana » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 pm

DV8,

I know it sounds pricey, check out the website I posted above, the boat is a floating hotel run by surfers, not peoepl you are just there to make a buck.

Everytime I've been with theses guys I have been very impressed, they are geared up and passionate about getting the best waves/experience for guests...

10/11 nights is not enough, the 14 days ensures your best chance of scoring that memorable swell....

We would be stoked if you guys can join us in Sumatra....

Pete

User avatar
Buff_Brad
barnacle
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:43 pm
Location: Wall Street

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm

green iguana wrote:DV8,

I know it sounds pricey, check out the website I posted above, the boat is a floating hotel run by surfers, not peoepl you are just there to make a buck.

Everytime I've been with theses guys I have been very impressed, they are geared up and passionate about getting the best waves/experience for guests...

10/11 nights is not enough, the 14 days ensures your best chance of scoring that memorable swell....

We would be stoked if you guys can join us in Sumatra....

Pete
Can I come? I like sunbaking my waxed chest and listening to techno......but I do surf pretty good. PM me the details please. I think I'm gonna go. What about malaria? Do you need the pills? I fcuking hate taking them. Don't worry I read a lot and will probably be too surfed out to really annoy anyone. Plus I'm really good looking so your mates better not bring any girlfriends wives etc. Age range of surfers already booke please would help. Maybe I should try and bring a mate.....a bit risky with a boat full of losers.....just kidding.

curly
newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Anywhere on the Peninsula

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by curly » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Yeah Scuzz's boats are quality, plenty of room and he will take you away from the crowds - he has great knowledge of the conditions - especially when there is a lack of swell, he will find you waves and he charges hard as well. I have been twice to the Mentawiis and would definitely go with Scuzz next time again. I wish I had the cash to go this year

User avatar
SAsurfa
barnacle
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 am
Location: 20 hours drive away..

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Ok guys, i've narrowed it down to two boats, either the "Irish Mist" with the Surf Travel Company for $2450 or the "Santa Lusia" with World Surfari's for $2400.

Had mates go on both of these boats and while not the best out there, I heard they are good value for money.

Has anyone had any troubles with any of these boats??

Trying to book tomorrow so any info ASAP would be much appreciated :D

Cheers, Craig

Oh also what does "Land Only" mean???

I says it here with the quote...

The price for each adult surfer is: AU$2395 (Land only) see below for more details and prices applicable to your selected trip date and group size..
This includes....

Donweather
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2599
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Ments Boat Trip Advice

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Craig, just at a guess, I would say "land only" means the price does not include flights.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests