Pasta Point

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

nu boy
regular

Re: Pasta Point

Post by nu boy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Are you getting married to your surfboard ???????

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 am

loofy wrote:Thinking of Pasta Point for possible honeymoon destination......

anyone stayed there, any feedback appreciated.

cheers
Talk to SurfinTurf, Loofah, he went earlier in the year and had a great ‘family’ holiday and scored plenty (of waves :twisted: )

Another friend just returned, did not score plenty, not happy, not likely to return.

Also, now pretty expensive.

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:49 am

The island is pretty small - think 2 footy fields with coconut palms. If the missus is not into surfing or diving she will probably be bored after 2-3 days.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:56 am

loofy wrote:Hey Ric

Didnt score cos of Crowds or no swell??

Cheers
Both I believe... 3 good days, 3 didn’t surf at all, and boats loads of Portuguese and Japanese et al at Sultans/Honkys. 17 hours travelling (both ways).

Around $7000 all up :shock: you would not be happy.

It CAN be a great destination, I’d still be tempted, just got to get your timing right.

Could still be a good destination for a honeymoon, the surfing would just be a bonus.

kateontour

Post by kateontour » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:23 am

When did you go?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Talk to SurfinTurf, Loofah, he went earlier in the year and had a great ‘family’ holiday and scored plenty (of waves :twisted: )
Pasta point earlier in the year, Burleigh Heads last week.

This guy gets around! He must be worth a packet to be able to do all that with his wife and 3 (?) daughters constantly getting into his wallet.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:42 am

Hey for honeymoon check out Breakas in Vanuatu, they rightfully say if you get waves it's a bonus. they are right had a 10 out of fourteen day bonus at each high tide cheaper than pasta uncrowded and tropical.
2 hours flight duty free town.
other breaks around just look
go the daily double wife and surf riding!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:38 am

kateontour wrote:When did you go?
When did who go?

I went 11 years ago, SnT went last year, other friends just back from a not so memorable one.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat May 02, 2009 1:27 pm

otway1949 wrote:Hey for honeymoon check out Breakas in Vanuatu, they rightfully say if you get waves it's a bonus. they are right had a 10 out of fourteen day bonus at each high tide cheaper than pasta uncrowded and tropical.
2 hours flight duty free town.
other breaks around just look
go the daily double wife and surf riding!
i went there 4yrs ago with the missus for a holliday and took a couple of boards just in case....ended up surfing 8 from 11 days. 2 days solid 4ft+ and perfect. super fun rippable lefts, and shorter bowly rights...
can be surfed on all tides. i didnt realise that till halfway through the trip when the locals filled me in. it just meant the inside section was off limits. i actually missed a couple of real good mornings when i arrived as id waited for the tide to fill in :( :evil:

and there is also a few other waves close by...consistency is a major issue though, but honeymoon side of things, ya missus will love ya for it

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sat May 02, 2009 5:25 pm

went about 10 years ago and did not have much fun.
Stormy as all hell and pretty crowded to boot. NOt to mention $8 US for a beer!
For that sort of cash you can go to Tahiti or Hawaii or Caribbean (same flying time roughly or less)
If your intended is fairly outgoing , I'd even consider Lombok.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sat May 02, 2009 7:31 pm

I know it may sound tacky but I really rate Bali as a honeymoon destination.

I just got back from a 10 day honeymoon in Bali and my wife and I had an epic time. I managed to get tonnes of fun waves every where from Kuta reef to ulus, Dreamland and even a sleepy left up the west coast.

I reckon Bali has a lot going for it as a honeymoon destination including:

- Short flight
- Great shopping (think clothes & handbags for the trouble & strife)
- Still fairly cheap
- Loads of "romantic" (read wife friendly) accommodation
- Good food
- Friendly locals
- Spas / Beauty salons (for the wife while you are surfing)
- Some nightlife (though we avoided it)
- Friendly locals
- Consistent fun surf which you can still score semi empty
- Tonnes of Non surfing activities (Ubud, Temple visits etc)

Yes bali can be crowded with clueless euro kooks & hassling zillas but I think it is still a good honeymoon location that isn't to pricey.

Anyway my 2 cents.

Good luck with the wedding, they are fun but a fcuking pain in the arse to plan.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sat May 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Chong wrote:Good luck with the wedding, they are fun but a fcuking pain in the arse to plan.
Yeah good luck and all.

but I just wanted to stop at this point to explain one thing.

Planning a wedding can be easily accomplished by two reasonable people on one weekend;

Just add in female obsessive compulsive nutcase fairyland nutcase anal retentive disorder and you have 6 months of male misery.

Weddings are not difficult to plan at all, dealing with your female partner through this period will help you work out whether you can stick it out. It's unlikely you'll be tested more completely,

unless you renovate!!!!!!!! :x :cry:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 pm

oldman wrote:Weddings are not difficult to plan at all, dealing with your female partner through this period will help you work out whether you can stick it out. It's unlikely you'll be tested more completely,

unless you renovate!!!!!!!!
Fcuk renovating - I have absolutely no desire to argue with my wife in a construction site

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon May 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Have to agree with you here Dino, this is my next trip as well.

Do those waves look good for doing drop knee 360's? Might be a back beach where you would be allowed to do that shit I guess. :D
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Kilkeary
Location: Blackrock, oh about 50,000 years ago before the locals arrived...

Post by Kilkeary » Mon May 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Sorry guys, i'm a bit confused.
Are we talking $7000 a week and Indonesia in the same sentence? That Telo Island place looks nice, but seriously, it's Indo!!! $7000 could last almost a year in luxury when living in a third world country!!! For that kind of money you could go to a nice country without rampant corruption or pollution and still get nice waves...

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Kilkeary wrote:Sorry guys, i'm a bit confused.
Are we talking $7000 a week and Indonesia in the same sentence? That Telo Island place looks nice, but seriously, it's Indo!!! $7000 could last almost a year in luxury when living in a third world country!!! For that kind of money you could go to a nice country without rampant corruption or pollution and still get nice waves...
Presumable you mean first world countries? Places like Snapper Rocks, Auckland and Orange County? - meh, probably theres a reason there arent any surf camps there.

7K sounds about right based on the reality of transport in trying to get there at present. If only Richard Branson was a surfer, a dedicated airline that serviced world class surf destinations would be such a better investment than charging Russian oil barons a million dollars a pop to go and vomit in zero G for 4 minutes in space on Virgin Intergalactic
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 am

Went to PP in 2004 April for Honeymoon and stayed for 5 nights. Yes an expensive trip with everything US$. We had good waves most days and I thought crowds was a non issue really. Not empty but had a few surfs with only a handful. 3-4ft most days with some days blow out afternoon. Wife loved it there. Hang out in the freshwater pool, read etc . Good waves but certainly not the power of indo. Really depends what you're after. I reckon a good intro to reefs, some cracking days when your heart dropped but would go elsewhere if purely after waves.
We then spent a week at Club Med a few islands up. Really was over islands after two weeks. Of course followed by 2 nights in Singapore on way back to keep wife shopping.. 5 years later and we are doing renos. Certainly more testing than the wedding. If you thought disagreeing about table settings was hard wait till they must have that glass splashback in the kitchen for $3000....How many Indo trips is that I keep reminding her!
Oh Maldives was a great time, good waves. Surf trips are a lottery where ever you go. Keep the wive happy and remind her of the great honeymoon you forked out for when you go to Bali without her the next ten years!

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Sat May 09, 2009 12:33 am

dinosaur wrote:I reckon for $7000 or more i'd be looking at something with a bit more of a chance of getting really good waves.

http://www.teloislandlodge.com

Ive got nothing to do with this mob but if i had the money to spend i reckon thats where i'd be looking.
FFS Dino stop trying to load us up with couples it's way more work and the guys that don't have the missus with em all get edgy. I know your game mate!!
Serious for a moment.
We had a couple come for the honeymoon thing last year and they LOVED it but the wife surfed and had a real crack at it, probably more than hubby. For a couple who are on a hardcore honeymoon where they wanna get plenty of work done on the linen reef we might not suit as it's mostly a surf resort. However they would have a room with shower toilet all to them selves not to mention GIANT beds, the beaches and island are off tap as far as beauty goes and the romantic side would get you surf points for years to come. What we don't have is shopping, nightclubs etc. Hard call but depending on the couple it can be amazing for hubby and wifey or the wife will be bummed and hubby will be stoked. Probably worth the risk if your signing the cheques and waves are crucial.