Thailand waves ???

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Thailand waves ???

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:22 pm

I know it is far from a great surf destination but I was surprised when I did a bit of a search fo surf in Thailand...has anybody been or heard anything about the waves there ? I am going for 2 weeks in July so I might as well have a look at the wave situation, I am not expecting much but still keen to explore the possibilities..... 8)
Last edited by pridmore on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: Thiland waves ???

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:51 pm

pridmore wrote:I know it is far from a great surf destination but I was surprised when I did a bit of a search fo surf in Thailand...has anybody been or heard anything about the waves there ? I am going for 2 weeks in July so I might as well have a look at the wave situation, I am not expecting much but still keen to explore the possibilities..... 8)
Right down south - needs a huge swell. But can get good I've heard.

robzig
Local

Re: Thailand waves ???

Post by robzig » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:21 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 am

yah, it looks like Fat-Bat waves for sure and is goin to be a bit hit and miss with swell so just hoping for a few waves in the 2 weeks and from what I have seen and heard, i just might get a few fun sessions...so much for the missus findin a no surf destination ha ha ha ha ...... :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 am

pridmore wrote:...so much for the missus findin a no surf destination ha ha ha ha ... :lol:
Would you like me to send her an email? :twisted: :D

Would that make it the Phat Bat? :shock:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah, the swell has to punch around the Mentawis / Northern Sumatera and the offshore island chain of the Andaman and Nicobars. Can be good around Phuket, by good I mean a couple of foot beachie. The swell that does make it up from the far south is very attenuated but Jun-Aug is your best chance.

Indian Ocean Hurricanes are very rare and unpredictable but can happen pretty much anytime so you could get lucky anytime. Problem is that there will be a week of rain with it and your missus and kids will be stuck inside at the resort and then you go surfing and she says..."Oh you're going surfing! Now? Really. I thought we were going to take the kids to the...nevermind"

And you say, "Okay I wont go, we'll go to the Thai elephants playing soccer instead"

And she days "No, thats fine, just go" etc etc.

Best spot I found here: http://www.surfingatlas.com/spot/3160

that shot you had was awesome, where did you get it Mark? Would post it if I knew how :oops:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 am

Heya Mark,

I am hoping for some surf in Phuket when I'm there, definately wishing I had the fat bat with me. I'm there in mid to late may, so if I find anything I'll keep you posted,

still here
charger

Post by still here » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm

there's surf but you'll have to be reasonably lucky to score .
Leave KATA and the beachies and with a bit of exploring you'll get some right hand granite points not too far away . Check out www.saltwater-dreaming.com
HA ha got to love novelty waves when they're on - and it DOES get on .

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:45 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Seen a potential pointbreak setup at a bay two north of Patong beach...Kamala (I think). Looked perfect at the 1/2 to 1 foot sets rolled through but with a typhoon or similar it could be the goods. Not sure when typhoon season is though...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:06 pm

eah, that eft at Kamala is supposed to get good, its a left reef-point type set up and when it gets a bit of size looks like its bloody fun wave....few other spots too but really it will be just lucky timing I think for me although I'm going in July so I am a chance of something.... Longinus, I found that shot when I googled 'surfing Thailand', saltwater dreaming or something I think....bloody great looking set up hey, wish one of us could post it...Pretty keen on taking the AquaBat with me, might be a good way to finish her journey.... and its just me and the missus so I will be able to do a fair bit of surfing, she can hang by the pool in one of the flash resorts , dunno how I will pay for this...does anybody need a board ??? 8)

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Hey Mark, if you are really keen you should get out to the Andaman/Nicobar Islands. I know that the reefs were affected after the Tsunami but with a little research I reckon you will still find waves that will be a LOT better than the best day at the best break in Thailand.

Getting there won't be as cheap as a local flight within Thailand but I reckon it would be worth it 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Chrisp wrote:Heya Mark,

I am hoping for some surf in Phuket when I'm there, definately wishing I had the fat bat with me. I'm there in mid to late may, so if I find anything I'll keep you posted,
if you are serious about wanting to take the bat, PM me and lets see what we can do.....I have been contacted by another realsurfer who lives there so maybe the bat could stay with him til I get there ??? just a thought....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 pm

cool.....the fat bat look sick full bullet holes :shock:

it's not looking pretty over there at the moment

told lot riots are about unpaid wages from some compsany called GSI :?

THAT OF COURSE...is unconfirmed...shit...even gsi can still afford pay it's standard $5 a week asian boardmakers wage :roll:

or can it :idea: :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:cool.....the fat bat look sick full bullet holes :shock:

it's not looking pretty over there at the moment

told lot riots are about unpaid wages from some compsany called GSI :?

THAT OF COURSE...is unconfirmed...shit...even gsi can still afford pay it's standard $5 a week asian boardmakers wage :roll:

or can it :idea: :?:
SDC actually drew some bullet holes on it already....yeah, it looks pretty bad over ther so we'll wait and see how its going in a few weeks when we are going to book...might have to choose a better surf destination... :D wait and see but I am keen to suss out the waves there....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 pm

well fiji is in a hole too at the moment :cry:

soooo.....can i suggest the tropical Philippines :idea:

you could be surprised :idea: 8)

cheap fly too, great shopping, lovly people

AND YOU CAN TRADE YOUR WIFE IN ON A NEW ONE...anytime...no questions asked :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:well fiji is in a hole too at the moment :cry:

soooo.....can i suggest the tropical Philippines :idea:

you could be surprised :idea: 8)

cheap fly too, great shopping, lovly people

AND YOU CAN TRADE YOUR WIFE IN ON A NEW ONE...anytime...no questions asked :lol:
definitely wont be trading mine in , she is a keeper... but may have to consider other destinations...

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 am

Hey Mark, I have a spare seat on my Mentawais trip in July if you are keen!
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com