Travel Insurance

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:52 am

used "cover more" this time, am about to make a claim.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 pm

wanto wrote:am about to make a claim.
what, for a tooooob :?: :D

Come on tonto, where’s the photo spread?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm

ric_vidal wrote: Come on tonto, where’s the photo spread?
Seconded!!

Ringa's WA thread & Wanto's soon-to-come Mentawai's thread will end up being the best threads in July

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Just got back from a trip from the Ment's and went with Surf Travel Co. and was insured by "Sure Safe".

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:23 pm

some baggage handler at sydney or denpasar decided dropping my board bag from a decent height on to a railing (my guess at the cause) would be a good idea. same thing happened to my mate the next day. boards were packed very well and it would have required some effort to cause damage.

Benvolio

travel insurance

Post by Benvolio » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:41 pm

declaration - i've worked with many travel insurance companies

surf travel co are an affiliate of suresave - but you're probably getting charged 40% more than you should.

the same product is available here: http://www.tid.com.au and will allow you to specify high value items.

if you're going on a trip for longer than 4 weeks - it's actually cheaper to use the backpacker product (owned by same company as suresave and TID) which is http://www.worldnomads.com - which also allows you specify high value items and has coverage for adventure sports.

it also lets you extend your policy while overseas - something no other policy will let you do.[/b]

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:45 pm

saltman wrote: Tip. look to see which company the insurance is really with- eg allianz, CGU. Go to their website and hey presto the same policy cover is available, with out the commisiion to the travel agent or surf travel brand - mine was $50 cheaper
That's what I was going to suggest... good one Saltman :)

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:
saltman wrote: Tip. look to see which company the insurance is really with- eg allianz, CGU. Go to their website and hey presto the same policy cover is available, with out the commisiion to the travel agent or surf travel brand - mine was $50 cheaper
That's what I was going to suggest... good one Saltman :)
I second that, definitely apply via the internet and avoid the agent's ripoff commission.

I can't comment on a claims experience as I haven't had to make one but when I used Columbus on-line it cost about 50% of the standard travel agent-issued policy. Do a google search and you will have many choices.

onawave
regular

Re: travel insurance

Post by onawave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:11 am

Benvolio wrote:declaration - i've worked with many travel insurance companies

surf travel co are an affiliate of suresave - but you're probably getting charged 40% more than you should.

the same product is available here: http://www.tid.com.au and will allow you to specify high value items.

if you're going on a trip for longer than 4 weeks - it's actually cheaper to use the backpacker product (owned by same company as suresave and TID) which is http://www.worldnomads.com - which also allows you specify high value items and has coverage for adventure sports.

it also lets you extend your policy while overseas - something no other policy will let you do.[/b]
www.tid.com seems very cheap compared to everything else? like the quote for my trip is $80. 1/2 of what i got quoted through the travel agent.....

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 pm

I've used http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au (which I think is the same as www.tid.com.au) a few times. They seemed ok although I haven't had to claim on anything.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Whats peoples experiences with insurance fraud? How much do they check up and suss out if you really did loose that $400 phone or what ever?

combatwombat
Grommet

Post by combatwombat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Rev,

That's easy. They'd just send an assesor down to longy to see if you changed your phone number on the toilet wall!!!

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:58 pm

I never take out travel insurance because just about everyone I've heard from DOES make dodgy claims on their insurance .

If you check out your credit card ? .... you may well be covered automatically for insurance claims that count ie. sickness/injury while travelling abroad and still be getting as good an interest rate . Otherwise change to one that does ...... .

If bag goes missing the airline pays some (happened) and it may be returned complete in any case (happened) .
I must already be $10 000 in front and that'll buy a few camera's or boards for the day I truly do lose one , if I ever do .

Speak to your CC provider , threaten to pull your mortgage if need be .... but you can get this included at no extra cost . (seemingly ? ) .

(I'll be stuffed if I'm going to sponsor every dodgy dude that sees it his right to get a new board , camera and wardrobe on every trip ..... and I've heard from a few ) .

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Stay away from suresave.... a bunch of crooks, late to respond or don't respond. I'm stuck in a simple claims dispute with them for months now, whereas my other trip members had their claim paid.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:40 pm

anyone had any issues with Amex insurance?
I have been told that paying for the tickets with my gold card gave me insurance... but are they any good?
just checked, you are not automatically covered for all card types
went with the same one wanto did