Taxi to airport with 3 7 foot coffin bags?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

FishStick
Local

Taxi to airport with 3 7 foot coffin bags?

Post by FishStick » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:35 pm

Has anyone had any experience getting a maxi taxi to the airport with a few coffin bags?

3 of us are heading off to Indo on Thursday next week and can't get a lift off anyone. Can a maxi taxi fit 3 large 7 foot coffin bags (Dee Why to Kingsford Smith) ?

Butts

Re: Taxi to airport with 3 7 foot coffin bags?

Post by Butts » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 pm

FishStick wrote:Has anyone had any experience getting a maxi taxi to the airport with a few coffin bags?

3 of us are heading off to Indo on Thursday next week and can't get a lift off anyone. Can a maxi taxi fit 3 large 7 foot coffin bags (Dee Why to Kingsford Smith) ?
FishStick, they should be able to. :shock:
We have 8 of us, plus 8 golf bags, plus luggage when we go to the airport for our yearly boys trip away,
All fits :wink:
Cause there is only 3 of you, boards down one side, you sit the other. :)
Give them a call anyway.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Can't help you with that sorry, but a note of caution with each airline and their excess fees for overweight baggage. Jetstar are complete fks and charge twice as much as Qantas. That money you saved on a ticket could be eaten up and more by the excess weight. I dragged excess from syd-bris, melb-tas, & tas-syd and paid an extra 3 tickets worth for the trouble. Plus despite nobody else caring or having difficulty putting them onboard, the Melbourne chick had a mini fit because the bag said 7'3 despite only having a 6'6 in there, making me put in against her scale on the wall to make sure it was under the line.

Good luck buddy!

Edit: :oops: 3 people with 3 bags. My mistake. Though my points are still valid.

christopher
regular

Post by christopher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 pm

there is an airport shuttle bus service you can hire.

they pick you up in a mini-bus and drop you at the airport.

there is so much space its almost ridiculous.

cheaper than a maxi cab and you will fit your boards in without even thinking.

if i still had their name/number i'd post it here but i dont. maybe google or yellow pages search it.

but it was $80 from sutho shire to international terminal for me last year. Divide that by three people and you're doing alright for peace of mind.

and you can book the bus to pick you up when your return flight pulls into sydney again.

Chris

Bigtime 7

Post by Bigtime 7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 am

Long term parking is always a good option, taking you can fit all your boards in, or on the one car. From memory its about $75 a week, so even if you are away for a few weeks, divided amongst 3, its pretty cheap.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:57 am

Just hire one of those massive Hummer Limousines you lightweights. And make sure they have Verve Cliquot or Samuel Adams Utopias Bierdrome Vielle Bon Secours beer.... ok then that's a little ridiculous.....

Have a good trip.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:11 am

Buff_Brad wrote:Just hire one of those massive Hummer Limousines you lightweights. And make sure they have Verve Cliquot or Samuel Adams Utopias Bierdrome Vielle Bon Secours beer.... ok then that's a little ridiculous.....
Ridiculous or audacious? Not even a recommendation of the required dress code Buffy? :D

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 am

Go the Shuttle Bus. No problems with the boards (if they don't go with a trailer they'll slide 'em down the aisle inside), cheaper than a Maxi Taxi.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:37 am

That's why I don't travel with coffin bags anymore if I can help it. They are a complete pain in the arse. Many airlines will now hit you with big excess baggage fee as soon as they look at one.

I have learned to travel with as few boards as possible. Keep in mind that in Indo they can now hit you up with about $50 per board over the 3 board limit when you go through customs.

As suggested here the long term car park may be the go.

Have a good trip.

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:48 am

there is an airport shuttle bus service you can hire.

they pick you up in a mini-bus and drop you at the airport.

there is so much space its almost ridiculous.
I have used them each time I need to get to the airport. The Man Daily has a list of them in their travel section. Inform them when you book and they either whack on a trailer or don't pick up any other passengers. I have used collaroy airport transfers-9984 1420.
And another grooup along the lines of Northern Beaches airport transferrs/ or North side trannies or something.
Have fun

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with the taxi as long term parking is a bit pricey and we are going for two weeks. Taxi fare split 3 ways should be sweet.....Can't wait to go, especially cause it's been so bad, surf wise, these last few weeks. :D