Mentawais boat trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

pre Schapelle i used to grab a single chick on the plane and go thru customs with her, 2 people = up to 6 boards. haven't tried it since but a wink and a few rupiah also helps. also grab one of the porter lads, makes it easier.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:18 pm

ps, you want to have rupiah to throw around there just in case, first thing you do after you've had your passport stamped is go to the atms just before baggage claim.

mozzquito

Post by mozzquito » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 pm

visited Mentawais last year and none of our board bags were checked at Denpesar, Jakata or Padang...
take some $US also - US$100 will do it - easier for sorting out Visa and Mentawai surfing tax!
If you head to Padang without a trip arranged head to the Hotel Batang Arau - it seemed to be the surfers hub in and out... cold beer, good food, best place to get organised (wireless broadband also)

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Guard, thanks for the info mate.... i know how much car expenses can shatter your budgeting/planning (i have a shitbox van)
mozzy, cheers. This forum is making planning a shitload easier...

I think i'll try get 4 boards through..... i have a talent for breaking boards in 2 foot slop so i dont know how i'll go over there...

Looks like i have squeeked aboard the MV Indies Trader... pricey... but looks worth it...