Mentawais boat trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

dezmend

Mentawais boat trip

Post by dezmend » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 pm

G'day guys, im in the process of booking a boat charter in the mentawais starting at the end of may, I have heard that the crowds can be pretty crazy is this true? and i have also been hearing that the cheaper boat charters only stick to the popular spots and dont look around for less crowded waves, is this also the case? the boat that im lookin into is 'Irish Mist' anyone been on it? or have any other reasonably priced boats that they recommend?

Cheers!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 am

told by reliable sources

1 :arrow: crowds are crazy and worse every year

2 :arrow: perfect waves....warm water....no fish

3 :arrow: outer atols are worth it....but crowds there too....cheap boat trips= perfect waves and superbank kinda crowds in closer

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am

try and go at the end or begining of the season fewer crowds, still its always busy.. mates of mine went on that boat last year and had a great time, the brazo captain was the only problem (pshyco)... :shock:

diro
Grommet

Post by diro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:04 am

I spent two weeks (on land) in the Mentawais. My thoughts on a boat trip:

1. Go with a boat or captain that you have heard great things about. The captain makes all the difference in the world.

2. Crowds are a fact of life - at one point I saw upwards of six boats around one area that had multiple breaks. Your captain is key here in being able to know where and when to go.

most boats are charging a Gas Tax now b/c of the increase in petrol price.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm

G'day G'day

I will be in Indonesia from late june to late september.

Can anyone tell me whether or not there is a need to book ahead to stay at either of the surf camps in G-land?

Also, I am thinking of a ments boat trip and have looked at the boat 'Irish Mist' among others. Does anyone have any good advice?info?recommendations?alternative boat trip ideas?

cheers

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:17 pm

rat, you don't need to book ahead but if you're worried you should. if there is space in the camps (go bobbies) you can get a discount by going and bartering with the guys at the bobbies office at bemo corner. remember to bring a few bintangs with you. alternatively book for a few days and then barter with puma at the camp. all subject to how full it is, but especially if it's empty it's worth trying.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:27 pm

wanto wrote:rat, you don't need to book ahead but if you're worried you should. if there is space in the camps (go bobbies) you can get a discount by going and bartering with the guys at the bobbies office at bemo corner. remember to bring a few bintangs with you. alternatively book for a few days and then barter with puma at the camp. all subject to how full it is, but especially if it's empty it's worth trying.
thanks mate.
I'm going to Indo for three months so I probably wont book anywhere....
just get to Gland when i can then barter as i plan to stay there for a decent stint (ie. three weeks).

mozzquito

Post by mozzquito » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:28 pm

the Barrenjoey skippered by John McGroder is the vessel you want

John does his best to put you on uncrowded waves

apart from waves the whole experience on the Barrenjoey is fantastic - great crew, unbelievable food, safe, reliable and they give a shit... eg John will buy crays from the locals and throw the undersized ones back in front of them

http://www.sumatransurfcharters.com.au/

good luck getting on this year although I note Oct is available!

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:41 pm

mozzquito wrote:the Barrenjoey skippered by John McGroder is the vessel you want

John does his best to put you on uncrowded waves

apart from waves the whole experience on the Barrenjoey is fantastic - great crew, unbelievable food, safe, reliable and they give a shit... eg John will buy crays from the locals and throw the undersized ones back in front of them

http://www.sumatransurfcharters.com.au/

good luck getting on this year although I note Oct is available!
ahhh thankyou thankyou
i was told about the Barrenjoey but couldnt remember its name!! also seen it in a few surf flicks.....
thanks for the help...hopefully i can squeek onto a decent charter since im going solo

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:23 am

yep john mcgroder is a legend and charges as hard as anyone. he's rightly in very high demand. a mate booked his 2009 trip last year.

thecds

Mentawais Boat Trip

Post by thecds » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:38 am

Yep John and the Barrenjoey are very popular. We booked the boat for a March 09 trip in Oct 07?? Crazy, but we hope the crowds are kept at bay by going early and with a good skipper etc.
Hope this year goes real quick!

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:27 pm

I went on my first trip to the mentawais last year and it was a learning experience. The waves were awesome, our boat was good but unfortunately our skipper wasn't . Our charter had been advertised as having an Aussie skipper who surfs (which it did have up until a month before we got on the boat), but unfortunately we got lumbered with a rotund sweaty pomgolian who had never surfed in his life and could care less about us scoring good waves . We did get some
epic waves but it was more in spite of our skipper than because of him. We were all keen to hunt out emptier waves but he was intent on sticking to the "milk run" spots - probably to save fuel.
I would research the boat/skipper situation as it will make a huge difference in the quality of your trip. The boats I heard good things about up there were The Barrenjoey, The Mangalui (Matt Cruden), The Indies 2 (Arthur -not sure of his sirname) and the Huey (not sure of the skipper).

Good luck sorting a boat you fingers crossed you get swell.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Chong wrote:I went on my first trip to the mentawais last year and it was a learning experience. The waves were awesome, our boat was good but unfortunately our skipper wasn't . Our charter had been advertised as having an Aussie skipper who surfs (which it did have up until a month before we got on the boat), but unfortunately we got lumbered with a rotund sweaty pomgolian who had never surfed in his life and could care less about us scoring good waves . We did get some
epic waves but it was more in spite of our skipper than because of him. We were all keen to hunt out emptier waves but he was intent on sticking to the "milk run" spots - probably to save fuel.
I would research the boat/skipper situation as it will make a huge difference in the quality of your trip. The boats I heard good things about up there were The Barrenjoey, The Mangalui (Matt Cruden), The Indies 2 (Arthur -not sure of his sirname) and the Huey (not sure of the skipper).

Good luck sorting a boat you fingers crossed you get swell.
Thanks chong...
I've heard tales similar to yours.... hope you didnt pay the bastards too much.
thanks again for the info.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:09 am

I have another question for those in the know....

I plan to take 4 boards to Indo (i will be there for 3 months)...

will i be coughing up excess baggage fees for all the internal flights as well as the international flights???.... so when i fly from denpasar to singapore... then singapore to padang for a charter boat... will i be held up with 4 boards??

any info would be appreciated

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:27 am

you're only allowed 3 boards into bali. that is to stop people dodging import taxes on boards when they sell them. you can get thru with four a few ways, but that's the rule. the other stops i don't think have a number policy but will have their own baggage rules. if it were me i'd just try it and deal with issues as they arise.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:50 am

cheers

do you know how to get 4 boards in?
they will be in one board bag with locks... will they check? and if i get caught with 4..... whats the prognosis?
Three months with 3 boards.... i dunno.... i wouldnt want get down to one board with a month or longer left ..........

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:53 am

:P
i'll just go with 4... play it cool... and if i have to negotiate... hopefully i dont mix my bahasa and end up in dodge :D :?

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am

for those that have been to indo for a decent stint... i.e 2-3 months +.... how many boards did you take?