MALDIVES

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

richardl

MALDIVES

Post by richardl » Tue May 11, 2004 7:51 am

Which resort is the best - Lohi's or Pasta Point?

Maladjusted
Grommet

Post by Maladjusted » Tue May 11, 2004 8:39 am

I haven't been to lohi's, but Dhonveli/Tari/Pasta point has the best access to waves i reckion. the boats are already paid for with the room, and they are always standing by to take you out to sultans or honkeys, which you can see across the channel from the shore. Then Pasta point is a good fast left (paddle out from the point bar) that I hear is better than piddlies at lohi. Lohis is a bit closer to chickens/colas but you have to pay for a boat every time you go.
If you're taking your girlfriend, lohis may be more luxurious but Dhonveli has very good food, friendly staff and the accom is quite good.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Tue May 11, 2004 9:54 am

I might be going to the maldives next january. :D

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue May 11, 2004 2:04 pm

I'm heading there next week! I stayed at Lohi's once - nightmare! No restriction on number of surfers, you had to book and pay for a boat, which was always late and sometimes didn't even show up. Pretty crowded and stressful if all you wanted to do was surf.

Tari (now Dhonveli) is the go. No more than 30 surfers allowed, and nobody else can surf magical Pasta. Boats are always available, included in your package price. Run very smoothly by Tony Hussein Hinde who 'discovered' the Maldives when he was shipwrecked there in the seventies. He's always keeping his eye on things and if anyone gets out of line by being aggro in the water (rarely happens) he sorts them out with a friendly word.

Been six times and never been skunked. If you're keen, talk to Ian at Atoll Travel in Melbourne and he'll give you all the info without hustling you.

Freestyler
regular

Maldives report

Post by Freestyler » Tue May 11, 2004 2:33 pm

Hey Wayback, like to hear a crowd/surf report when you get back from Maldives. I went for first time last year, had a ball 4'-8' 12 out of 14 days, going again in August. Ever been to the far southern atolls?
Stay Cool & Wet

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue May 11, 2004 2:56 pm

Never been to the Southern Atoll, Freestyler, as I'm a working stiff who's cash rich but time poor.

As for crowds, I have a routine that seems to work. Get the pre-breakfast boat to Sultans or Jails for some empty rights. The guys staying on the surfari boats leave it alone as they know the Dhonveli crew will leave for breakfast about 8:00 - then they hit it. The Lohi's boats don't get there until midmorning.

Then I surf Pasta the rest of the day. As you know, when it's going off it can easily handle all the surfers on the island, even if they all paddle out together - which they never do. (I once surfed Pasta when it was glassy and perfect for 5 hours - catch a wave, paddle back out, spin and go again. I was exhausted and dehydrated after 3 hours but just couldn't leave it alone.) If the wind's light, I take an afternoon trip over to Honky's. Everyone seems to ignore it, but when it's on I reckon it's the best wave there.

I'll give you the report when I get back, but you may not want to hear it!

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Tue May 11, 2004 4:28 pm

If its just you or you and some guys, go to Pasta's otherwise if you have the missus go to Lohi's. From a surf point of view, I prefer Pasta's as you can look at the wave and still see SUltans doing its thing. I agree with wayback about Honky's, it can start on the outside as a 2 -3 footer and by the time it gets to the inside it can be 6 foot. It just grows the further you go. Sultans is classic righthander. Cola's was fairly heavy, especially after getting caught inside and wearing 4 waves on the head.

Dr Rudie

Maldives

Post by Dr Rudie » Tue May 11, 2004 5:02 pm

We spent the 17th to 29th April at Pasta Point and the surf was exceptional. The crowd factor at Pasta Point not an issue. Lots of complaints about Lohi's from those that stayed there. Food was crap etc etc and the costs. Surfed Colas, Jails (a lot at between 3 and 7ft faces) Sultands and Honkey's and of course Pasta Point (check the Wannasurf addition on Pasta Point taken on Thursday 29th April). Crowds approx 20 to 25 at Sultans every session until the Lohis boat leaves. 4 charter boats around which brings an additional 25 to 30 odd to the spots at times but the level of ability of some of these surfers especially in the bigger surf (27,28 & 29 April) makes for easy pickings. It was our 4 & 5th trip to Pasta and must be rated as one of the best organised surf camps in the world.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu May 13, 2004 11:41 am

I see one person has said that Lohi's is better for a person going with their chick. Which I am. Is that the consensus? I'm probably heading over next March/April for 2 weeks for a honeymoon and need to pick one over the other. Given it's a honeymoon I'll need to give priority to the needs of my soon to be wife I think.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu May 13, 2004 11:57 am

Honeymoon? Take her to Paris for a week - she'll love you forever! There is no more romantic place on earth. Then hire a car and head south for the beachreaks for the second week. Won't cost you much more than the Maldives. (Been married 25 years - trust me.)

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu May 13, 2004 12:54 pm

Thanks. It's her who wants to do a beach holiday actually. Obviously I'm happy about that so long as there's surf. As it is she encourages that. I don't think she likes the idea of lying around all day every day for 14 days with me bored, bored bored. And it's her who liked the look of the Madives. Go girl!

richardl

Post by richardl » Thu May 13, 2004 7:21 pm

honeymoon - www.nihiwatu.com
went last year. first class resort. first class surf.

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Thu May 13, 2004 7:42 pm

Richard

I thought this post was about Maldives ???

Hey doesn't matter - but the Nihiwatu resort looks really good - We're always looking for somewhere different to go - keep the wife happy - surf all day shag all night - well keeps me happy anyway.

How many nights did you stay - $350 US is a bit steep - what are you a wealthy merchant banker or something ???

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Mon May 31, 2004 4:52 pm

Just got back from my 7th trip to Maldives, where I got skunked for the first time! The swell that Dr Rudie (above) had was the last the one. It's been small since then. Fortunately, I took a mal as well, so I still managed 3 surfs a day, mostly waist to chest high, with the odd head-high one. Pasta wasn't working, so there was a bit of a crowd factor, though I managed a few sessions at Jails with just 3 or 4 out, and one session on my own. While this dearth of swell is the longest in Tony's 30 memory of the Maldives, I do advise anyone going to pack a midsize or mal along with the shortie. Those who were 'caught short' weren't happy, while the mal riders scored heaps of waves and long noserides. Great place and crew made for a great holiday.

stuey

Post by stuey » Mon May 31, 2004 9:32 pm

nose rides = scored?

Nikko
regular

Maldives

Post by Nikko » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:36 pm

I was gonna say something positive, until I saw that comment from wayback which stu nailed on the head !!
Mal and reef breaks should never be mixed...
Just wait so you can do some proper turns and carves...
Definetly on the agenda though...

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:19 pm

You're absolutely right, Nikko, and I speak for most mal riders when I say that, when the surf gets small, under no circumstances should shortboarders hop onto mals and share the waves with us. You're making the right choice in sitting on the beach.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:02 pm

so wayback, how big did the surf get while ya still rode ya mal?
any worries about eatin' the reef?
do ya ride ya mal like a shortboard in the bigger waves?

always thought the maldives, etc was a shortboard haven...?