Robe...South Australia

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Robe...South Australia

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Something about that SE limestone coast that flies right under the radar.

any options there?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Robe...South Australia

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't know the area, but geology and meteorology suggest they'd be better for fishing and kitesurfing. Cold onshore closeouts on flat beaches.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 pm

mebbe, but that limestone coast usually carries with it the potential for seriously good flat-topped reefs.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 pm

The beach at Robe (Long Beach) is as 'boo says, straight banks and the water is seriously cold. In summer, the upwelling is frigid

Meant to be an ok fickle wave west of town. I've never seen it good, but have only been there a couple of times

At Southend, there's a real promising left that looks like it'd break for a significant length. I've seen it at 2-3 ft and it was almost worth it. Reckon it'd be good at 4 ft plus. Again, I've only been there a couple of times

Google satellite Southend and you'll see what I mean. > 200 m rides from takeoff just N of the carpark. The day that image was taken is really small

Sharky as fcuk waters
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm

surfed there. As you say has potential for good flat topped reefs but doesn't really deliver. Im sure if you lived there for a year you'd probably score but it wouldn't really be worth it. There's an ok little break right in town called the tip or dump. It's where they used to dump the towns rubbish for years. Not the spot for a solo dawn session. Great fishing though
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:00 pm

The real reason to go would be to luxuriate in that "land that time forgot" feeling and chuckle quietly at the plummy South Oz accent that makes the user sound slightly intellectually retarded. that combined with an intense twenty years too long bong smoking paranoia amongst the locals lends a nice atmosphere to proceedings.

and to catch a huge mulloway off the beach.

picked up this weird bitch titted south ozzy guy hitchhiking who was from there , a pasty faced red haired guy and he'd been living there. it piqued my interest.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah, there are some gems around that area, I like Beachport better more old school, Robes become very trendy but still real nice. I've stopped off and poked around a few times over the years, got it on the to do list to spend a month there and sit and wait.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 am

steve shearer wrote:Something about that SE limestone coast that flies right under the radar.
No shortage of flies :wink:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:06 am

plenty of flies. Garfish love maggots.

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm

On a previous oz trip I lucked into a beautiful clean beachy down one of the sand tracks in Little Dip conservation park. Worth a poke around, but soft sand so I walked the last bit of dune as we only had an old 4wd VW transporter.