Maldives surf trip...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

OddaP
barnacle

Re: Maldives surf trip...

Post by OddaP » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks Don. Muchly appreciated you taking your time, NC, I'll hold fire on the excitement until I see the swell, it looks good either way :)

Don, I'll give a run down when I get back.

Thanks again.

ccdave

Post by ccdave » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Donweather wrote:CCDave, here's my latest thoughts. Get stuck into it big time in your first week!!!

Sun 28/7
Inconsistent 5-6ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets.
Mon 29/7
Inconsistent 4-5ft+ SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Swell waning slightly throughout the day.
Tues 30/7
New pulse of inconsistent 5-6ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets.
Wed 31/7
Inconsistent 5-6ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Swell waning throughout the afternoon.
Thurs 1/8
Inconsistent 4-5ft+ SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Swell waning slightly throughout the day.
Fri 2/8
Inconsistent 3-4ft+ SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Swell waning slightly throughout the day.
Sat 3/8
Inconsistent 3-4ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Swell waning throughout the day.
Sun 4/8
Small 2-3ft+ SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Outside chance of some similar sized, but very inconsistent but more powerful SW/S groundswell arriving very late in the day, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets.
Mon 5/8*
Small 2-3ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets. Outside chance of some similar sized, but very inconsistent but more powerful SW/S groundswell, but only at the super exposed south swell magnets.
Tues 6/8*
Small 2-3ft SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets.
Wed 7/8*
Small 2ft/2ft+ SE swell with the upper end of this size at the super exposed south swell magnets.

* Forecast is still a reasonable way out for these dates and hence subject to change depending on actual weather systems that come to fruition between now and then.
Hey Don
Your forecasts were pretty much spot on. Flew into pumping waves Sunday afternoon, Monday was all time, Tues was described as difficult with a new and funky swell I think was mixed up with the old swell, getting caught out and paying the price a few times.
Fri 2nd the swell was slightly larger than you suggested, touching 6ft at times.
2nd week was as the forecast said.
Cheers and good job!!
"Courage is doing what your afraid to do"

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Glad you scored it ccd. Pics?

epicswells

Post by epicswells » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey Don, i watched your forecast as well, as we were there same time as ccd, you were pretty much spot on. thanks for providing it. Was a great week to be there. pumping all week pretty much. cheers Coops

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:23 pm

epicswells wrote:Hey Don, i watched your forecast as well, as we were there same time as ccd, you were pretty much spot on. thanks for providing it. Was a great week to be there. pumping all week pretty much. cheers Coops
No worries mate. Glad you scored.

P.S. do you know me?

ccdave

Post by ccdave » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Donweather wrote:Glad you scored it ccd. Pics?
hey Don,
I have plenty of photo's....struggling to up load them. Do I need to reduce the file size via 3rd party software eg. photoshop or the like?
Cheers
"Courage is doing what your afraid to do"

epicswells

Post by epicswells » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 pm

nah -don dont think i know you unless you live SW WA.

just follow this thread with interest. love the maldives. was good to check accuracy of the various forecasts, magicseaweed wasnt too far off the mark either surprisingly. must be a difficult place to forecast for.

just wanted to say thanks and give you some feedback in relation to your report you provided. :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am

ccdave wrote:
Donweather wrote:Glad you scored it ccd. Pics?
hey Don,
I have plenty of photo's....struggling to up load them. Do I need to reduce the file size via 3rd party software eg. photoshop or the like?
Cheers
You'll need to upload them to a site like photobucket or imageshack etc and then post the links here so that we can all see them. That's the easiest way on this site without sacrificing photo/image size/quality.

I use photobucket personally.
Last edited by Donweather on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:01 am

epicswells wrote:nah -don dont think i know you unless you live SW WA.

just follow this thread with interest. love the maldives. was good to check accuracy of the various forecasts, magicseaweed wasnt too far off the mark either surprisingly. must be a difficult place to forecast for.

just wanted to say thanks and give you some feedback in relation to your report you provided. :)
You just threw me with your "Coops" term. I assume your name is Cooper also?
Last edited by Donweather on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epicswells

Post by epicswells » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:57 am

pm'd u Don.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

epicswells

Post by epicswells » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:14 pm

cheers Legion.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Coops #2 - I actually had to stop looking at your site for a while, it was making me homesick.

epicswells

Post by epicswells » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 am

hey channels you wouldnt be missing it now! been non stop fronts and crappy weather for such a long time. winter can be harsh here thats for sure, i reckon 80% of surfers are off to indo, maldives or nw each winter for a bit, i saw so many crew from yallingup and margarets in the maldives.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm

OddaP wrote:Hi Don, thanks for the tips on Maldive forecasting. Going 8 Aug for 10 days to Central and/or Southern Attolls. Outside your sphere or can you knock up a forecast?

Cheers. :-D-:
Hey, OddaP, how was your trip? Hopefully everything was great, particular surfing...
I thought i'll be now in tahiti and enjoy the event. But still in Australia/ Noosa (flat like a pancake :~ ), had some problems, #*!
..but its hopefully okay now. Maybe in 2 weeks I'm back for a stop in Coffs (because had a such great time in Coffs and i love this place)..

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Heading over for my sixth yr in a row on sept 20th. Anyone else there then?
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Guys
I will be at Pasta Point from 8-16 Sept. First trip to the Maldives, can't wait!

Don, if you have time would love a forecast.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:12 pm

sandfly wrote:Don, if you have time would love a forecast.
Sure thang. Remind me closer to the time, although if long range charts come to fruition, she could certainly be on with a large high progged off the WA coast in about 9-10 days time. Still might be a little early for your trip though?