Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Post by Donweather » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

steve shearer wrote:feeling good this morning.

sort of woke up with a rush, like whooshka.
Feck I wish I could say the same. Woke up this morning feeling like a truck had ran over me again last night. This man flu is fecking killing me!!!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

there's a man flu?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:38 am

steve shearer wrote:there's a man flu?
Ask your wife, any married woman is all too aware of the condition
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am

The man flu is always much much worse than anything your wife or any female can catch.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 am

is it like a time of the month thing?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 am

Spoon wrote:The man flu is always much much worse than anything your wife or any female can catch.
Too fcuken right it is!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Softer men than me have died from the fecking man flu!!!! :wink:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 pm

just banged the second pill of the day.....I think I've convinced myself that I'm getting a real pop out of this.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Donweather wrote:Softer men than me have died from the fecking man flu!!!! :wink:
and you tell your wife and they don't believe you. sheesh women :roll:
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:23 pm

lostman wrote:Hey swvic
I have moved recently and am on tank water. 1st time for me. I just drink it but the missues is worried with a small bub. What do you think about some of the hydrogen peroxide treatments around for sanitizing tanks?? Have a local tank cleaner spruiking the benefits! Also what do you think about the reactions of chlorine with natural organic matter? Have read that it can create carcinogenic biproducts. Should I have a filter after the pumpit might?

Oh yeah.. Magnesium gets a thumbs up from me! Anyway you can get it into ya!
What fong said about tankwater is right. Take it seriously by keeping gutters clean and removing any dead stuff. Same for the small bub - better safe than sorry

I don't know much about hydrogen peroxide treatment. Certainly would be toxic to bacteria, but I also think it might be toxic to growing cells

Tanks should have minimal organic matter in them, but chlorination does break it down. To what particular constituents would depend on what's in the organic matter to begin with which may or not be bioavailable (able to be taken into cells). Some potential byproducts are trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids which are recognised contaminants. Chlorine can also potentially remove some metals by reducing solubility. Soluble metals are bioavailable. Because of the trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids mentioned above, water authorities generally use chloramine in place of chlorine. Still produces the same things, but less so

There are several ways to disinfect water, but there's no panacea. Water authorities use a range of treatments before it comes out of your kitchen tap. They all use some form of chlorination and may also use some of; flocculation, filtration (several methods available) , uv sterilisation, distillation, ion exchange etc

As for having a filter. They require maintenance and if not properly maintained, will actually harbour bacteria. Some people have small UV systems where the water runs through a clear pipe that is positioned between UV lights. It's very efficient until the line fouls and the light does not get to the water enough to be properly effective. You've got to stay on top of it

I was drinking tank water for a couple of years when in my 20s. Had mozzie larvae in the water nearly all the time. The only problem we ever had was when it began to taste a bit funny. On inspection, we found a dead possum. Fished it out and carried on as normal with no illnesses. Like I said earlier about the very young, very old and otherwise ill, it might have caused such people problems

That's about all I've got

How do you know a clown has made your lunch?

It tastes funny :lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 am

swvic wrote:I don't know much about hydrogen peroxide treatment. Certainly would be toxic to bacteria, but I also think it might be toxic to growing cells

Chlorine can also potentially remove some metals by reducing solubility.
How does this work, swvic? From what I remember of high school chemistry, all chlorides are soluble except lead, silver and one other I can't recall. Wouldn't adding chlorine make things more soluble? Or does it precipitate out the lead if there were nitrates there previously?

Hydrogen peroxide will definitely kill cells, it is a very strong oxidiser. If you've had reef cuts you've probably used it to clean the wound. Though it also kills the white blood cells trying to heal you, so it isn't always a good idea.
Handled carefully it is safer than chlorine, as it decomposes to water and oxygen so you don't have toxic gas, but it is a highly exothermic reaction. It is used as rocket fuel. Follow the instructions.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:48 am

alakaboo wrote:How does this work, swvic? From what I remember of high school chemistry, all chlorides are soluble except lead, silver and one other I can't recall. Wouldn't adding chlorine make things more soluble? Or does it precipitate out the lead if there were nitrates there previously?
The other one is mercury

It's the oxides and hydroxides that are insoluble in water (exceptions; sodium, potassium and ammonium). Hydroxides of barium and calcium are moderately soluble

Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is NaClO

It reacts with metals thus; NaClO + metal ---> metal oxide + NaCl

The sodium chloride is soluble, but the metal oxide is insoluble with the above exceptions
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 am

When I saw the first post to this thread I thought the boys would be smashing it, seeing as how we are so happy to receive advice from anyone in a form that looks suspiciously like an advertisement.

But blow me down, you all took it on face value, who woulda thunk it.

I've been genuinely tired for what seems like months now. The winter months are always a little difficult, the lack of sun exposure etc, but I've been waking up tired and not sleeping so well of recent times.

So I'm on the magnesium bandwagon, as of yesterday, but I'm notoriously bad on following through on 'supplements'. Couldn't be assed worrying about the brand etc, if magnesium is beneficial it'll get in from the tablets.

Will report any findings. Had a couple of nights good sleep, due most likely to the ingestion of other sleep inducing products that shall remain nameless, but it's made me realise how much sleep I have been missing out on, and how much it affects my state of mind.

I also bought some 'sleep' tablets, just some more slight magnesium but more valerian and that sort of herbal sleep stuff. If I can get the sleep side of the equation sorted I'd clearly be feeling heaps better than I have been.

Will keep in touch with this thread, god knows I'd love to have more energy, and maybe a lot of other things would improve on the back of a regular good night's sleep.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Well, the thread was sort of a response to a request for more info, and while he's clearly pretty rapt on it, Wingnut didn't sell it in an over the top way. Simply stated his experience, and answered questions. Admitted bias where appropriate and gave full disclosure.
Roy could learn a lot from this thread. Fong might even pick up some tips.

Thanks swvic. Glad you're the one doing your job, I'd either poison someone or blow them up. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Felt a bit weird on the weekend.......bit like I was wired, or the engine was over-revving....sort of dull restlessness behind the eyeballs if that makes sense.

I cease all coffee drinking by 10 am so sure it's not that.

Might have OD'd a bit on the mag but side effects are listed as lethargy and diahrroea...I deffo didn't have that.

It was more like a cocaine come down.

Might ease back to one tab a day.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 pm

The best way to avoid hangovers is to drink regularly.

If you only drink once in a blue moon, and then you have 4 or 5 one night, that can be enough to give you a hangover to die for.

But if you drink regularly, your body seems to know what to do with the stuff.

Didn't drink at all for about 10 years, and then drank only rarely for the next 7 or 8, and the hangovers were killer.

Now I have a regular tipple, preferably at the back end of the week and the weekend, and when I do go over the top it doesn't kill me the next day.

That's my theory.
alakaboo wrote:Well, the thread was sort of a response to a request for more info, and while he's clearly pretty rapt on it, Wingnut didn't sell it in an over the top way.
Not complaining 'boo, just observing, there have been much less contentious openings to a new thread that have led to some magnificent trolling efforts on the parts of those who like to troll.

Just saying.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

oldman wrote: Will keep in touch with this thread, god knows I'd love to have more energy, and maybe a lot of other things would improve on the back of a regular good night's sleep.

Tried power naps?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm

I wish I could power nap. My wife can crash out for 20 minutes and wake up golden. Takes me fcuking ages to wind down, very difficult for me to sleep without reading for a while. Only exception is hammock naps when completely surfed out.