Sumbawa and Lombok

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brenno05
Local

Sumbawa and Lombok

Post by brenno05 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 am

heading to bali in july for a couple of weeks...booked 1 week in kuta but wanted to hit up either lombok or sumbawa to get away from the madness of kuta and see somthing different...

if i had to choose one or the other which would you suggest?? was thinking of either staying next to lakey peak or basing myself in kuta lombok...the waves in sumbawa look a bit better (obviously except for desert point) than those in lombok but are they much more crowded??

any tips or advice welcome

cheers
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

timbo85
Grommet

Re: Sumbawa and Lombok

Post by timbo85 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:21 am

I'd go with Lakey heh. Its a really convenient setup, like you stay right in front, paddle across the lagoon in 2 min and your laughing. It gets crowded, spesh peak season and all, but there are a bunch of other quality waves all within a walk/scooter ride away from the main acommodations.

I'm sure Lombok (outside of desert Pt) gets really sick on its day. And you'd probs be more likely to score uncrowded waves sniffing around Kuta then at Lakey. But Lakey is world class setup, I'll wager you'll get more barrels fighting the crowds there than hunting in Lombok.

There will be more caucasion females in Lombok though, if that swings the deal, Lakey is usually quite a sausage fest haha.

Peace.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: Sumbawa and Lombok

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:48 am

If you get a four foot plus day at Desert Point (not too crowded) ..... I promise you , you will never forget it......ever.