Morocco in July - and ferry info

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Morocco in July - and ferry info

Post by Dingus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:02 am

Landing in Marrakesh at the start of next month, got the airflights into the country and the first 5 days in a hotel organised so I can kick back, then I want to spend the next week or two exploring a couple towns before trying to get the ferry back to Spain then train it across the country to France.

Agadir seems the obvious place to head to, and a few threads on here confirm this. What else is a must see in the country? A couple of the desert tours seem interesting but are they worth it for the price? I've spent a lot of nights sleeping in the desert so don't care about that gear - have you done a tour that went somewhere historic and incredibly interesting for the price?

And I can't seem to confirm ferry timings and dates of travel for the Morocco-Spain ferries. I can work this out on the ground there as they seem regular, but has anyone managed it lately or have a mate that has, and the best port to travel from? Actually what I'd love to do is travel straight to Egypt and ferry across the Med but the countries you have to pass through across the top of Africa seem more a pain in the butt with visas than anything else for a short time-framed trip. Anyone with experience there?

The ferry across to the Canaries looks good too, but time vs money says stay in Morocco.

Travelling very light (single normal backpack) so hoping to hire boards. Actually, thinking of taking the fins and just bodysurfing if I have to.

Sorry about the long post, but hoping to milk some experience in these areas.

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

ferries go from maroc to spain daily. both from tangiers and ceuta.
or fly cheaply from agadir or marakesh to europe
you will have a hard time trying to hire boards. and you are going in the off season. expect it to be very farking hot on the coast. i'm not sure about the winds. a car is necessary if you want to surf.
there is shit loads to see in morocco. essaoura, marakesh, fez, meknes, the desert, the atlas mountains, the dades and another gorge, and chefcahoen in the north is dope too

mondo
Grommet

Post by mondo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 pm

i booked a tour from marrakesh that went to through the atlas mountains, dades valley, todra gorge, merzouga and onto the dunes at erg chebbi and back via ouzarzate. defintely 100% worth it. the "tour" was just me and my mate, and our driver. very chilled, stayed at cool places, met other travelers along the way.

agadir ain't that great...smog from the local factory was clouding the air. but go north from there, taghazout and the surrounds has awesome surf (better in winter) i stayed at a surf camp run by brits - simple but nice accom on the cliff overlooking anchor point. they drive you to spots every day....good mix of learners and exp. surfers and you meet some nice peeps there. locals help out with the school -they take the more experienced surfers to local spots with no dramas, cuase they are locals.

morrocco is heaps of fun. have a good trip.

dee-r-e
Grommet

Post by dee-r-e » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 pm

The place is awesome...
Safi, Agadir, Essaouira.

I went on a hike through the atlas mountains which was extraordinary. Only 3 of us, 2 guides and a donkey. Stayed in local houses every night. Organised it through a hotel in Marakesh but can't remember the name sorry.

Ferries were good, Tangier is a hole.

Make sure if you have to get out of Morocco by a certain time you leave enough time you catch the ferry and get back.

We were meant to catch a 1pm ferry and it was delayed until 6pm the next day because of the weather.

Have fun, the place is a blast.
2 days
3 nites

craig
regular

Post by craig » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:01 am

Having spent 5 months travelling Morocco in my van a few years back i can lend a tip or two.....

Firstly , surfing in July in Morocco is almost non existent. As in - FLAT. If you want Safi or Boilers or Targhazoute on then go December to April....... it's the weather systems that spin up lows between Ireland and Iceland in winter that deliver nice ground swell to the points. Summer sux for waves in Morocco. I could be wrong you may get a small wave somewhere.

Why drive all the way? I wouldnt do it again. A lot of Morocco is a shithole. Especially Tangiers and Casablanca.
Fez is interesting for a day or two. Asilah is a pretty little town with surf, occasionally....

Best bet, fly to Agadir , hire a car and do the drive up to Marrakech (awesome place, no need to direct, you'll find your own fun) then out to Essouira ( see jimi Hendrix's castle made of sand near Diabat) and then down the coast to Agadir again via Immesouane and Targhazoute.

That triangle is what i really enjoyed in my time there. Basically nth morocco sux, sth rocks. If you want surf, dont go in July.....

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated. The info is pretty consistent and I'm building up a good base plan. I was thinking along your Triangle, Craig, but Marrakesh as a base due to the surf and bus it to Agadir then make my way north, then back into Marrakesh as required. Will check out North Morocco briefly as I head up for the ferries. Will also keep my eye on those desert trips mentioned here, sounds interesting.

Thanks everone for your advice and glad to here you all had fun.