Superbank Circus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 pm

That crowd shot is foreshortened. No other waves around the gold coast except Snapper :shock:

If your that dumb theres no point looking :roll:
Psst, theres a secret spot called Burliegh up near brisbane. Don't tell anyone :lol: :lol:
Fingal has traditionally been avoided because of the need to drive up the spit to get there but more importantly the real locals and I do mean real locals plus a few islanders who cruised in 100 or so years ago keep it real.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 am

brendo wrote:but also consider this: you can use the cams to gauge what other breaks are like in the area, so its not just the 'name breaks', its all of em.
I think that this article illustrates my point reasonably well, especially with Kirra being a 'name break'. Most surfers would drive straight past Kirra on the way to Snapper, and see it reeling off. It's covered by surf cameras, and is but a short drift (requiring zero paddling on the surfer's part) from the Superbank. So why is it empty, whilst there are hundreds of surfers frothing at the Snapper end of the Superbank?

As someone else noted, Johnno hit the nail on the head with this comment:
Johnno wrote:It's more a case of the sheep wanting to be seen
Re: Fingal.. Are you serious Iggy? The dirt road out to Letticia Spit has gotta be under 1km long, and is in far better shape than the lengthy miles I usually cover when seeking out waves on the west coast of SA. Perhaps it was better pre-Kirra demise, but the waves have been great at Fingal every time I surfed there over the last three years. Never had any problem with the locals either (to be honest, I've only ever surfed with one or maybe two people in the water there anyway).

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 am

Fair enough Iggy, my experience is only based on the last 3.5 years (of which I live in Sydney now). I always found wave quality to be quite good either side of the jetty! A nice double peaked left on the northern side (fun inside section too), and a punchy right on the southern side. I didn't surf it often, so perhaps I just got lucky.

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:09 am

thermalben wrote:
brendo wrote:but also consider this: you can use the cams to gauge what other breaks are like in the area, so its not just the 'name breaks', its all of em.
I think that this article illustrates my point reasonably well, especially with Kirra being a 'name break'. Most surfers would drive straight past Kirra on the way to Snapper, and see it reeling off. It's covered by surf cameras, and is but a short drift (requiring zero paddling on the surfer's part) from the Superbank. So why is it empty, whilst there are hundreds of surfers frothing at the Snapper end of the Superbank?
Oh snap!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 am

Butts wrote:Johnno, I reckon your on the money here 8)
Also sheep won't go out if NO ONE else is out :shock: Regardless of the waves :wink:
I’m with you on the frock/flock mentality... now all you have to do is send a magnetic bloke out with a camera :D just stay away from me i-butts. :twisted:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:56 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Butts wrote:Johnno, I reckon your on the money here 8)
Also sheep won't go out if NO ONE else is out :shock: Regardless of the waves :wink:
I’m with you on the frock/flock mentality... now all you have to do is send a magnetic bloke out with a camera :D just stay away from me i-butts. :twisted:
Ba, Ba Black sheep have you any wool
Yes Sir, Yes Sir 3 bags full .....

And lic I hope your not suggesting that butts is a ram :?

Oh and pinhead, you may well be able to forecast a swell and winds a week ahead down in vic, sa, wa but for us here on the east coast it's a lot less ....
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Sausage wrote:I know the NN cam has 100,000 hits a month on CW, that's a figure that they quoted.
You can blame tourists, development all you want but the cameras are the main contributor.
Now I surf at 6am with 25 guys instead of 2 or 3 a few years ago.
I'm not backing up the camera thing, but sadly, too true on the crowd. You used to be able to pick what ever break you wanted at 6 am and have it either to yourself or with 2 others, MAX.

The alley and peaks along the beach are so so rediculous now. but 10am its absolutely packed, as a booger i love the flags going up. At least that means i only have to contend with the odd swimmer that paddles out past waist high.

Bring back the agro of NN!!!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:24 pm

I've a waves with just my sons during the school hols along the Bilinga/Tugan stretch which have been great fun particularly by Sydney standards by ourselves yet when we have headed into Coolongatta for a feed the beach is packed and not much better. Obviously not cool enough place to be seen.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:29 pm

Well I will admit Iggy that they were small and fun but the rest of the coast wasn't offering alot either. :lol:
At least there you can always drop into North Kirra surf club for a beer on the veranda 8)

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Maybe Ballina got more crowded over the last few years because there's now a bloody big freeway that goes straight from Tweed to Ballina in about three minutes? Just a thought.

wingnut72
regular

Post by wingnut72 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:46 pm

I've just got back from a trip up the Goldie and was staying and surfing at Kirra. it was barrelling and no one was out most of the time. saturday morning i had the whole beach to myself after one other guy paddled in. i found it odd as if that was the same conditions down the Bra (my local beach) it would be packed! :shock:
also found out the local name for the current up there 'the drift'. sunday arvo i started at Kirra with a friend and we ended up well past north kirra. the waves were that good!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:27 pm

I hope you stopped off for a beer at the club on the walk back 8)

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:13 pm

look @ the fella with the jim beams rashie's gut, epitomy of qld

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 pm

grazza wrote:Maybe Ballina got more crowded over the last few years because there's now a bloody big freeway that goes straight from Tweed to Ballina in about three minutes? Just a thought.
grazza - fantastic point; accessibility

add to that the previously mentioned population explosion, more travelling tourists & residents...

the technological advantage will play a part, but i don't think quite to the extent that brendo thinks it does...

if that road wasn't there, they could look at the web all they wanted & it would still take them 3 times as long as it does now...

the same thing happens all over the place - take up here at the central coast NSW for example...

25 years ago it took Sydnesiders 3.5 hours to drive up here, now it takes as little as 1 hour 10 mins, depending... that and population growth & movements lead to lineup crowding anyway - the xmas break & most of january was a fargen joke up here - heaps worse than it used to be...

a curious bystander
Grommet
Location: I can get a hell wedge in the bathtub sometimes, depends if the tumble dryer is on or not...

Post by a curious bystander » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 pm

grazza for PM

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 am

[quote="mattthe same thing happens all over the place - take up here at the central coast NSW for example...

25 years ago it took Sydnesiders 3.5 hours to drive up here, now it takes as little as 1 hour 10 mins, depending... that and population growth & movements lead to lineup crowding anyway - the xmas break & most of january was a fargen joke up here - heaps worse than it used to be...[/quote]

Yep, stayed in Newcastle for a few days over school holiday time and the surf was ordinary but the beaches were really uncrowded. Stopped in at Soliders beach for a surf on the way back. The waves were still pretty ordinary but the beach was packed. I guess its the number of beaches to choose from.