Richard Dawkins

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pegs
regular

Richard Dawkins

Post by pegs » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15 pm

my grandpa once said a true genuis is someone who can simplify the most complex of topics. has anyone read 'the god delusion'? im just about to start. heres something to give you an idea about what hes about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZU111Q5ASs& ... ed&search=

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Yeah he's an extremist alright.

A sort of anti-pope for atheists i guess.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:45 pm

Coops is into Dawkins' work.He has posted about him a couple times and read 'God Delusion'.I am sure he will have something to note about this topic.

I have read Dawkins' book 'The Selfish Gene' and highly reccommend it.He has a way of explaining complex science in a way that even an idiot such as myself can understand :oops:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:49 pm

I saw him in a doco recently and he struck me as being the most arrogant pompous prick I have ever come across, even if he was right. :D

I know what you are thinking brainDamage and pale ale Coops and just don’t go there, I do have feelings you know. :wink: :D

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:47 pm

saw the word god and an old man with a beard

so i closed the window..

Youtube is about people hurting themselves and a good source of wave videos
not this.

Sleepy
regular

Post by Sleepy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:54 pm

the dude is certainly a pompous prick, ric... after all he's considered the third smartest person alive.

but be careful not to take his word as gospel

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:38 pm

pegs wrote:my grandpa once said a true genuis is someone who can simplify the most complex of topics.
Wasn't it Einstein that said things should should be simplified as much as possible - but not more? There's simple - and simplistic.

Dawkins' tactic is old and well-tried: set up a straw man, and then knock him down. He never stops to ask, what is real religion? His assumptions prevent him from ever considering the question might have an answer and the integrity of his entire project fails right there.

Nevertheless, much of the flummery that Dawkins shoots to pieces deserves his treatment of it. The snippets I saw - showing people who evidently think that by following certain behavioural formulas or saying certian words or assenting to certain dogmas or wearing certain clothes (etc etc ad nauseum) that they can twist God's arm or curry God's favour and get what they want - are typical of false religion everywhere.

Dawkins' mistake is to extrapolate these examples of human weakness in action to mean all religion must be therefore be false. This is a failure of logic at the fundamental level. To his credit, though, he doesn't let that stop him: taking his cues from Huxley it's apparent he knows that if you repeat your fallacy often enough it gains a momentum of its own. Add moving pictures and snappy editing and before you know it you have a steamroller. :wink:

One good thing that he demonstrates, though, is that arrogant pomposity and dogmatism is not confined to religion.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:05 pm

Sleepy wrote:the dude is certainly a pompous prick, ric...
Nice rhyme sleepy
Sleepy wrote:after all he's considered the third smartest person alive.
What, according to him? Still no excuse.
Sleepy wrote:but be careful not to take his word as gospel
One book was enough cruelty for my small brain. I’ll leave him to Coops & co.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Dawkins' mistake is to extrapolate these examples of human weakness in action to mean all religion must be therefore be false.
How can religion be false, it’s man-made, it exists whether you choose to follow a faith or not, or is he talking about ‘events’, for want of a better description.
Hawkeye wrote:One good thing that he demonstrates, though, is that arrogant pomposity and dogmatism is not confined to religion.
:lol:

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Ok let me just say that "the selfish gene" has absolutely no anti-religious messages in it.Infact i don't think i even came across the very mention of it in the whole book.

It is a great book.It talks about the role our genes play in the evolution of species....how each gene is selfishly competing against other genes to be passed on to successive generations,etc

There is more to Dawkins than his religious debates so if you don't like his "God Delusion" message, maybe try the book i reccommended instead.You won't regret the read.

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:14 pm

Chamberess wrote:Ok let me just say that "the selfish gene" has absolutely no anti-religious messages in it.Infact i don't think i even came across the very mention of it in the whole book.

It is a great book.It talks about the role our genes play in the evolution of species....how each gene is selfishly competing against other genes to be passed on to successive generations,etc

There is more to Dawkins than his religious debates so if you don't like his "God Delusion" message, maybe try the book i reccommended instead.You won't regret the read.
Willing to put your money where your mouth is.... :lol:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:26 pm

[quote="Chamberess"]Ok let me just say that "the selfish gene" has absolutely no anti-religious messages in it.Infact i don't think i even came across the very mention of it in the whole book.

No attribution? I'm disappointed Ms C!! (and more importantly it mentions ALTRUISM). Hope you got that too :roll: :roll:

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 pm

science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. ae.

fong

Post by fong » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:57 pm

:?

these threads do my head innn :oops:

if i could write fifty chapters arguing green is in fact blue :idea:

would it change the actual colour :?

p.s i'm a bad roman catholic :oops: ....but i remain a roman catholic just the same :wink: :idea:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:51 pm

fong wrote:p.s i'm a bad roman catholic :oops: ....but i remain a roman catholic just the same :wink: :idea:
bad or naughty :wink: there may be a distinction

harveybirdman
regular

Post by harveybirdman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 pm

yanks r us wrote:science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. ae.
That's the stupidest thing i've ever read.

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:52 pm

ric_vidal wrote:I saw him in a doco recently and he struck me as being the most arrogant pompous prick I have ever come across ...
More pompous than Gough?