BUUULLLSH!T

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Are surf corporations f2rked in the head?

yes
70%
no
30%

Total votes: 20

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

BUUULLLSH!T

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 pm

bede durbidge dropped by billabong, at 15th in the world?
luke munro dropped by quiksilver?

what the f_ck are these corps thinkin?

f@@@@RK

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:40 pm

'No'

Because i dont care.

And because most likely they were dropped because they didnt meet what there contract was expecting.

cheesey101
regular

Post by cheesey101 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 pm

bede durbridges win this year still shud have waranted another year

fong

Post by fong » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:18 pm

maybe they just don't have the "pout" to be sponsered :roll:

u know....just cause u rip don't guarantee anything :shock:

u got look reallllll "pretty" in all the ad's too :!:

the surf industry's gonna implode :arrow: it's so full imposter's now only try hards and people paid too actually wear brand names :idea:

honestly if u walk around in all new big name surf labels u may as well just get "i'm a dic.khead tatoo" on u forehead :!: :?:

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 pm

I also thought id ad surf clothing brands have frock all to do with surfing now days.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:35 pm

luke munro is a prettyboy but

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 am

Maybe he didn't wear his hat sideways enough ?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:50 am

Luke Munro is one of my favorite surfers.That guy f-cking rips !!!!.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:47 am

well who have they signed up in their place,thats what i want to know...

i have a friend who is on the WQS and being a team rider can be such a shite fight even when you're just starting on the tour according to him, led alone in the WCT.

So much pressure to get photogs to give you publicity and wanna take photos of you.How much publicity has been hyped up around these two guys in the past year?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:02 am

Companies are choosing to spend their shrinking marketing budgets elsewhere. This be the truth of endorsement contracts; they're pretty ruthless forms of employment.

The big companies these days at the top end are trying to groom young surfers toward superstardom; if you don't fit that bill, after a little while, they'll still pay you some bucks, but it won't be the big bucks.

I note Jordy Smith's contract with Billabong has been under negotiation in recent weeks. What do ya reckon the young Saffer potential world champ will be screwing out of 'em? Not peanuts one suspects.

Watch over the next five years the spending patterns of big companies shift toward more recruitment of rising young stars from small surf nations -- Sth Africa, Spain, France, Reunion, Bali, Tahiti, perhaps even Japan. Such kids are hungrier than many of their big-nation peers...and they come cheaper too.

Young Australian and US pros had better be awake to this trend and start lifting their games me thinks. Whingeing will get them nowhere. Neither will the vague sense of entitlement that's been such a feature of, say, the young Goldie crew post-Parko and Fanning. Yeah Mick and Joel have houses on the hill...but that doesn't mean you're gonna get one too.

Moby
Grommet

Post by Moby » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:24 am

Companies are choosing to spend their shrinking marketing budgets elsewhere. This be the truth of endorsement contracts; they're pretty ruthless forms of employment.[quote]

Nick, clearly you are 1 million times closer to the surf industry giants than I ever will be but I find it hard to believe that they are reducing marketing budgets whilst posting record profits. Doesn't make business sense particularly when surfing as a sport has never had the profile publicly that it has now. Do you mean that they are decreasing their allotment of sponsorship funds whilst increase consumer marketing spend?

It also makes sense that they would be looking to emerging surfing nations to sponsor as this is where their future business growth is going to come from. I do agree with you that it appears that the Aussies are becoming complacent and seem to expect a sponsorship rather than having to work hard for it (generally speaking).

To help me understand (and possibly a lot of the RS crew), can you give us an exmaple of what sort of performance based expectations they would be place on a sponsored surfer?

Cheers

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 am

I think young aussie surfers would have a lot to learn from Layne Beachley, in terms of out of the water professionalism and the way she is prepared to increase the market that is supporting her.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Moby wrote:...but I find it hard to believe that they are reducing marketing budgets whilst posting record profits. Doesn't make business sense particularly when surfing as a sport has never had the profile publicly that it has now. Do you mean that they are decreasing their allotment of sponsorship funds whilst increase consumer marketing spend?
Yeah Nick I wanna know this too...

Production costs are always being pruned (read relocated to cheap labour markets), sales performance underpins all growth as per ideal public company models....yet you claim their marketing budgets are being reduced. It makes no sense, unless the inference is that costs are inherently lower to sieze market share in the " non surfing 1st world" countries you listed ?
They’re probably being run by bean counters now RRRRRon.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 am

Anyone have an idea how much support/payment the smaller companies would be paying their riders?
Like Odessey with Mick Campbell or O&E with Macca...
I wouldnt think it would be as much as the big companys...

How accoutable are the desision makes too... who'll get their arses kicked if Bede gets a top five this year and pips out Joel and And....

fong

Post by fong » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 am

wanto wrote:! bede is so hot right now :shock: :shock: :shock:
when he sits in the lineup.....the water just starts steam and boil up :lol:

nah his my favourite surfer....i love his style...relaxed but radical :idea:

i also think his a real contender.... unlike burrow and parko.... why haven't we a oz world chump in ages :?: :idea: maybe cause the sponsors are keeping second raters in the money :?: :shock:

p.s i just wonder....basic 101 marketing here....but when u see the "pretty" boys pouting at u in full size ads in the mags with there shirts off :arrow: do u automatically think " jeeze...i got get a pair those boardies" or do u turn straight over to perv on the chick in the reef ad :?: