Save Catho!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:48 pm

True. It definitely rates higher than Budgewoi which would be an excellent place for a desal plant if it had to go somewhere.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Beanpole wrote:True. It definitely rates higher than Budgewoi which would be an excellent place for a desal plant if it had to go somewhere.
yes i agree

the macbank desalination plant should go somewhere ugly but with proximity to the most profligate users ......north bondi golfcourse might suit perhaps ??

fong

Post by fong » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:55 pm

boogaloo wrote:
chrisb wrote:How do we balance the rights of the locals who want it remain unchanged v the outsiders who would like to live there but can't because there's no accommodation.
wambie ripper wrote:... i strongly agree that no local will hve to give up his view or peace and quiet for new development ...
I like quiet, unspoiled places. Frank Sartor is a complete arsehole. The NSW Labor Party are developer-sucking scum.

BUT

Nobody has a 'right' to have their environment remain unchaged. A title to a piece of real estate does not entitle the owner to a view, or peace and quiet, or having no developments nearby that they don't like.
excellent/balanced post pussy cat :lol:

i think i will fire off a few emails in tootrs given direction....hell know's...i've got a big hole in my email outbox after LABORS beater beattie decided white cops can't kill blackfellas for fun :cry:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:16 am

He who has the fattest wallet wins.

This is but one of a number of coastal developments either being proposed or been approved.

No amount of talk is going to stop them, to much money invovled.

If you want to do the sums = a 100 acres at $2.2m with 300 homes proposed in a wetlands area up here, yes wetlands!

Going on that lovely estate in Pottsville where land prices start at around $180k = not a bad little earner.

Your feel good nature is not going to stop the dozers moving in, just to many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ involved.

And neither party has the balls to stop the rot as they like their free lunch or dinner sponsored by developers on a harbour cruise thank you.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Hopefully the threat of global warming and rising sea levels will scare them away from the coast but I doubt it. I'm sure there are alot concerned but there are still a shitload of 4wd's driving around the city where they are not required so I don't think they will hold off purchasing a lovely little townhouse overlooking Catho.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:16 pm

What the f..k goes on with this Labor gov/labor movement? Selling Currawong for $15m when someone else has offered $10m more. Who's rorting/rooting who?

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:42 pm

What about those wanting to get a new property/home on the coast .
Sydney is already stuffed like a can of anchovies . We have to release new land , simple as that . And the fact is everyone wants to be on the coast .
The fact that THIS time it's in Catho , well ....... at least it's not one of the other small gems . They'll escape a few more years .
If you want to be part of it get in , ..... I sense there's some doolah to be made .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:43 pm

Beanpole wrote:Personally, the place has always given me the kreeps and I reckon the beach is bloody ordinary except for the novelty value of the pier and seeing blocks of coal on the beach plus points south. The bikers can have the pub to themselves.

Real deliverance country. :x :x :x :x :x
I agree. It's got the weirdest vibe of any place I have ever been to. I reckon some serious evil went on there. I like the beach and the novelty value but the township is just strange.

I find it hard to believe those run-down shacks have any heritage value, except to remind us what a run-down hovel from last century looked like. Do we really need to preserve crap?

Having said that, they should just leave it open space. No developer should ever be able to build there as there are other water/environmental reasons for never building there, and besides, we have to address sustainable environmental living sometime. Why not now.

By the way, if you want any idea of the current need for additional development on the central coast, go and see the hundreds of empty units that are in and around the Entrance at the moment. Many of them will still be empty in 5 years time. The demand just doesn't justify it, and we don't need it.

While we're at it, there should be a ban on developers walking within 50 metres of a politician or political organisation. Harlots and pimps, one and all.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:24 pm

FFS.

Go to nsw gov't website: www heritage.nsw.gov.au for State Significant Criteria for listing on SHR.

Catho rates SHR but "other " sources think otherwise and might pervert the course of a "Ministerial approval". Read Liz Farrelly's gig in today's SMH for the real deal.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm

puurri wrote:FFS.

Go to nsw gov't website: www heritage.nsw.gov.au for State Significant Criteria for listing on SHR.

Catho rates SHR but "other " sources think otherwise and might pervert the course of a "Ministerial approval". Read Liz Farrelly's gig in today's SMH for the real deal.
Don't tell me we agree on something.

It is a special place.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 pm

IMO some on the thread are missing the key point here..

whatever u think of the township, the quality of the burgers served at the pub, and a bunch of 'old miners cottages', there are key issues here, like;

developers getting direct intervention by the responsible minister to cram as many dwellings as they can in the smallest possible space so as to make maximum $ per square meter (some of which gets donated to election campaigns), whilst ignoring the crucial infrastructure issues that the local council raised (transport, shops, schools, sewer, water, power et al), that over the years are the reasons many areas are now reaching busting point!

don't forget, this proposal is not just for a few Mc mansions, it is for 900 medium density dwellings, with a piggyback project of 300 dwellings at the north end if this one comes off!

the implications are wider than u think, and as a voter you are being taken for a MUG by these blokes!

write a letter troops!

fong

Post by fong » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm

tootr wrote:;

developers getting direct intervention by the responsible minister to cram as many dwellings as they can in the smallest possible space so as to make maximum $ per square meter (some of which gets donated to election campaigns), whilst ignoring the crucial infrastructure issues that the local council raised (transport, shops, schools, sewer, water, power et al), that over the years are the reasons many areas are now reaching busting point!

don't forget, this proposal is not just for a few Mc mansions, it is for 900 medium density dwellings, with a piggyback project of 300 dwellings at the north end if this one comes off!

the implications are wider than u think, and as a voter you are being taken for a MUG by these blokes!

write a letter troops!
i'm with ya :wink: and johnos post held some special interest too :cry: up here in port....we got alot park land along the river ( use be footy field) there talking now about the state g'verment selling off this public park land too developers :shock: ...this would also mean closing our best boat ramps :shock: :shock: :?

and like...losing great public riverfront park too villas :?

it's confusing cause 1- it's not in the communitys best interest
2- why are they selling the land now :? after the price has dropped out real estate in this area :?

theres more at stake than catho.....there selling the whole coast :shock:

at bargain prices :?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:00 pm

tootr wrote:don't forget, this proposal is not just for a few Mc mansions, it is for 900 medium density dwellings, with a piggyback project of 300 dwellings at the north end if this one comes off!

write a letter troops!
You'd be amazed at the result it could have. Particularly in an election year. We need to tell Sartor to simmer down. In a big way.

Don't worry, the libs would be worse.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:32 pm

This will probably give some people the shits but I recently drove past those new developments north of the entrance and thought all things considered they looked okay. Coming from Kingscliff originally all that development drives me crazy but not the actual buildings and layout. It could be much worse.
By contrast:
Until a year ago we used to stay at an old shack at Bateau Bay. Loads of happy memories of kids, surf, grandparents, bbqs and games of cricket. We found it through the Open Road. The next door neighbours were pensioners. It was straight out of the Australasian Post material.

We knew it had been sold. The owner rang us up to tell us.

Hadn't been up for a while but I went past and next day drove the family to have a look. Some builder had bought it and wacked this 3 story monstrosity on a tiny block. He had to build around this huge tree to accomodate the three garages.

My missus went in to say hello to the neighbours and came back crying.
These poor old pensioners used to sit on their patio and look down on the beach through the trees in the national park. Now they look at this pricks roof and the little window to the toilet. The new neighbours have 3 stories of views. No council control. No concern for your neighbours.

fong

Post by fong » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Beanpole wrote:This will probably give some people the shits but north of the entrance and thought all things considered they looked okay. .
i'm just quoting the postives out beanpole...it's hard not feel anything i say isn't vested when i'm only too keen carry bricks for these new developments :oops: :? .....thu u should all study his last paragraph...cause when it comes too land and views...often it's who's got most bucks rather than wats fair :cry:

toots..u owe me letter support in return :idea: :lol:

labor.....useless ...liberals...worse still :arrow: vote 1st either...join the race too the bottom :x

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:34 pm

still here wrote:What about those wanting to get a new property/home on the coast .
Sydney is already stuffed like a can of anchovies . We have to release new land , simple as that . And the fact is everyone wants to be on the coast .
The fact that THIS time it's in Catho , well ....... at least it's not one of the other small gems . They'll escape a few more years .
If you want to be part of it get in , ..... I sense there's some doolah to be made .
what about them? buy somewhere that is already developed, already too late
the land does not HAVE to be released - the $$$ hungry developers & greedy pollies can shove their heads up each others arses
we should be saving these places, not let developers rape them

i'd have to say you have a fairly piss poor attitude to this subject...
is it a case of give up 'cos their going to get it anyway?
No way. Never give up. Vote Sartor out.